A2 1.4 TDI Random Turbo Failure

TDaye

A2OC Donor
Over the past year, the turbo on my 1.4 TDI A2 randomly cuts out - not too often, but still annoying nonetheless, particularly when you are cruising on the motorway and suffer a sudden loss of turbo - without the turbo the 1.4 engine is pathetic!

The loss of the turbo occasionally occurs after a large pothole, but is more likely random it seems.

However, oddly enough, a simple stop and start of the engine seems to solve the problem.

Took it to an Audi garage who (expensively) carried out a diagnostics on the turbo, and they couldn't find anything specific, they said an option was to replace the entire turbo (£2000) if it becomes a serious problem.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar problem with their diesel A2 and turbo?

I very much doubt it's the turbo. At worst it could be a split inter-cooler or hose and at the best a leaking vacuum hose or sticky waste-gate valve. I would get a second opinion from either a trusted vw/audi independent garage or try and get someone closer to you on the forum to have a look over it for you.

This was what I thought I had concluded, but the garage were unable to identify anything specific, is this a common problem?

A split aftercooler core is not easy to spot and in the early stages will not flash up any fault codes.
There are some pics of a split core in this thread which may help you or your garage identify if that's where your problem is. - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showpost.php?p=119919&postcount=7

Cheers Spike

Turns out it was a sticking turbo actuator, simple and cheap to fix, cleaned and lubricated and saved me buying new anything.

I have a 1.4 TDi 75PS. Was fixed at an independent - Audi dealers were planning an entire new turbo, but my wallet wasn't...

Sorry for necroing this thread, but I am having similar issues & am in search of a replacement turbo actuator.

My car is a 2004 1.4 TDI 90

I have tried a google search and come up with dozens of time wasting irrelevancies.

Does anyone please have any suggestions for sourcing the part, or is it best to stick with OEM from a dealer?

Many thanks for any help.

Balla. :confused:

Sorry for necroing this thread, but I am having similar issues & am in search of a replacement turbo actuator.

My car is a 2004 1.4 TDI 90

I have tried a google search and come up with dozens of time wasting irrelevancies.

Does anyone please have any suggestions for sourcing the part, or is it best to stick with OEM from a dealer?

Many thanks for any help.

Balla. :confused:

Hi sir,

Are you sure yours is in need of replacement? Mine just needed a good clean, and its been good as gold ever since. In terms of going to a dealer, I'm not sure Audi would let you just replace that part, I'm pretty sure they would want to replace the whole turbo, which usually ends up being more than the value of the car.

Other options I have used in the past is to check around scrapyards nationally. I have found this to be a good solution for other parts I have replaced.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but hopefully the thread will remain active and one of the wiser people on here will comment.

Yes, we have been down the cleaning route, but this has been diagnosed differently this time around, as there is no black smoke at any time, & the actuator linkage seems to offer little resistance to being moved manually.

Balla. :eek:

My 90's activator might have gone yesterday, limped home, no smoke and no apparent hose split, loud-whistle but no pickup

My 90's activator might have gone yesterday, limped home, no smoke and no apparent hose split, loud-whistle but no pickup

Thats a real shame, you've only had it a month or so as well. Hopefully it will be the last of your troubles.

Over the past year, the turbo on my 1.4 TDI A2 randomly cuts out - not too often, but still annoying nonetheless, particularly when you are cruising on the motorway and suffer a sudden loss of turbo - without the turbo the 1.4 engine is pathetic!

The loss of the turbo occasionally occurs after a large pothole, but is more likely random it seems.

However, oddly enough, a simple stop and start of the engine seems to solve the problem.

Took it to an Audi garage who (expensively) carried out a diagnostics on the turbo, and they couldn't find anything specific, they said an option was to replace the entire turbo (£2000) if it becomes a serious problem.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar problem with their diesel A2 and turbo?

Hi there, Im having the exact same problem! Did you replace the actuator yourself?

Back