Double din tv units

Kaz

Hi guys

im thinking of getting one of the cheap doubledin all in one units which do tv, divx, dvds, satnav, bluetooth etc

which makes are good and what should i stay clear off?

they all seem to range from £180 - £250 and although they have different makes, all look more or less the same.

Cheers

Kaz

I think Kenwood / Pioneer make the smartest units. Alpine ons are a little garish.

Features wise they all do ridiculous amounts so I always go with the best interface and most OEm looking.

yeah - but im looking at the sub £200 range - need to know if anyone is better then another and if there is any i should avoid!

I was advised the cheapo Chinese made sets work for about 3 months if you are lucky. You pays your money etc!

I went with a Pioneer model that does Apple Carplay as well as the Google car thingy but I'm an apple guy...

I installed this on my Fiat Qubo which was easy to convert to double din... the head unit itself cost 300 quid and sounds great... it has a mic input to calibrate eq and other things in your car...

When I buy an A2 I'll be looking to install something similar into it... I installed a couple of USB ports and HDMI inputs into various locations for charging and carplay stuff... much nicer than fiddling with cigerette lighter adapters and cables etc...

I noticed all the steering wheels I've seen don't have controls built in for stereo.... where they ever available?

I went with a 7021G, it is one of the cheap Chinese ones, and so far so good. I am very pleased with it.
It does music / films / pictures from either USB flash drive or micro SD, FM radio, Aux input for reversing camera (works really well), Satnav is excellent and the interface is very logical. The touch screen works well.
The only feature that does not work correctly is the button lighting, which is settable to a colour i.e. Red for the A2, but when you turn the head unit off it always reverts to white - very minor niggle
And the cost, £58 delivered from the UK

It looks very OEM when fitted in the A2, I posted some photos of the installation and mounting. if you need any of the plastic mountings printing or the fascia then let me know

It's been in the car about 2 months so far so I cannot speak yet for the longevity, but it runs cool so am not expecting any problems, and the 7010 model which is basically the same but less the satnav as been very reliable so finger crossed. It came with 12 months warranty so either the seller or ebay or paypal will be responsible for repair / replacement

did you say 58 quid? wow... can you post a link to ebay shop or amazon etc?

I finally got myself an A2 and it has a double din stereo already in it so hopefully getting one of these new things in it will be easier...

also, did you wire in any usb ports? are you using it with your phone? Apple or android?

thanks!

did you say 58 quid? wow... can you post a link to ebay shop or amazon etc?

I finally got myself an A2 and it has a double din stereo already in it so hopefully getting one of these new things in it will be easier...

also, did you wire in any usb ports? are you using it with your phone? Apple or android?

thanks!

Do a search on Ebay for 7021G, mine as dropped out of the ebay history now.
It has been perfect and I'm 5 months in and use it nearly every day.
There is a USB built into the head unit, but it does not charge an iPhone, no great surprise there as Apples are very picky about what will charge them.
The USB port will however play films, music, photos of a memory pen drive, however I use the micro SD card as it fits it slots into the head unit without anything stuck out of the front.
I have a 32gb SD card in it and you can get loads of music on there, plus the odd film or two

My iPhone 6 and wifess iPhone 5 pair to the head unit without problem, music from the phone is perfect, however the hands free is not great, the sound from the phone through the speakers is spot on, but the mic is a little too far away and you are quite faint at the other end. An external mic would have been much better, but the head unit does not support this.
The Satnav is one of the very best that I have used and the maps came with the unit on a 8gb micro SD Card, you have two micro SD slots, one for the satnav and the other for music, films etc

The rear parking camera is also very good (did not come with the head unit, but was only £6 from ebay), but it does take some work to get the wiring from the dash to the rear of the car, I mounted the camera in the tail gate which means the wiring as to be threaded through the tail gate rubber gaiter which is not easy.

The only other thing worth mentioning is the rear speakers in my A2 are not factory fit and as such there is no amp in the drivers footwell, this is perfect for aftermarket head unit as the head unit wants to drive all four speakers itself, not through an amp for the rears as per Audi design. Also the volume is 0 to 30, 0 being mute and 30 being very loud, but 1 is sometimes a little too loud

As with any aftermarket head unit if you A2 as diversity aerials then you will loose the benefit of them, aerial still works but only as a single aerial. My A2 didn't have them so I lost nothing, but the radio reception is not the greatest, adequate but not first class. There is also only FM, no DAB or AM, DAB would have been nice, but at £58 you need to be realistic even from China
There are 18 pre sets in 3 banks of 6 for FM much is more than enough for me. If you do want digital radio you have the option to stream through your mobile

I have available 3D printed mounts for the above head unit and the A2 double din dash as the head unit does not come with a cage.

Cheers,

Paul, I’ve just bought a similar unit for my son, although nearer £350 with the DAB aerial and reverse camera, it looks just like and RNS-E. Reading your post above, you mention the rear speakers have an amp? Should I simply by pass this or connect to the low level outputs from the head unit? Should I expect any anomalies with the wiring? The unit is designed for an A4 so will need cutting, but I understand the wiring to be similar?
Any help would be appreciated.

Ian

Paul, I’ve just bought a similar unit for my son, although nearer £350 with the DAB aerial and reverse camera, it looks just like and RNS-E. Reading your post above, you mention the rear speakers have an amp? Should I simply by pass this or connect to the low level outputs from the head unit? Should I expect any anomalies with the wiring? The unit is designed for an A4 so will need cutting, but I understand the wiring to be similar?
Any help would be appreciated.

Ian

Hi Ian
I have no specific knowledge of the head unit that You have bought
The A2 if it was fitted with rear speakers from the factory would have an amp under the drivers feet unless it had Bose fitted
If the amp was fitted then you can either bypass it assuming that new head unit as speaker out for all four speakers or leave the amp and rear speakers connected as is and feed the rear speakers as line out to the amp
You will also need to feed the amp with a turn on signal such that it is only on when the head unit is power up. The 12v line to the electric aerial works well on most head units for this
Possibly Tom (timmus) could provide more info especially if the unit you have bought is a VAG unit
Happy Xmas
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good info re the power to the amp, thank you. The actual unit we have is below, plus optional extras reverse camera, microphone and DAB+. It came with some sort of CAN bus interface for an Audi A4 and until I actually remove the existing OEM head unit I’m not sure what that’s for. I’m sure it will all become apparent as I’ve done loads of this sort of thing, albeit on BMW’s and old Golfs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Good info re the power to the amp, thank you. The actual unit we have is below, plus optional extras reverse camera, microphone and DAB+. It came with some sort of CAN bus interface for an Audi A4 and until I actually remove the existing OEM head unit I’m not sure what that’s for. I’m sure it will all become apparent as I’ve done loads of this sort of thing, albeit on BMW’s and old Golfs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I really like that unit, it really does look almost OEM too and great features.

If I wasn't keeping "Violet" standard I would be considering this without hesitation.

Steve B

I was thinking of something like this, but we only have single din dash and don't really want the hassle of ripping out the dash to change it to double din.

May look at a single din with pop up screen. doesn't look as good but if it accomplishes the same thing then Dawn will be happy.

I was thinking of something like this, but we only have single din dash and don't really want the hassle of ripping out the dash to change it to double din.

May look at a single din with pop up screen. doesn't look as good but if it accomplishes the same thing then Dawn will be happy.

We only have single DIN at present and I need to look at the logistics of changing to a double DIN without removing the dash. I’ll update when I’ve managed to brave the cold and make a start.

We only have single DIN at present and I need to look at the logistics of changing to a double DIN without removing the dash. I’ll update when I’ve managed to brave the cold and make a start.

It's a none starter I'm afraid
Audi must have given the single and 2Din dashes to two separate department with people who NEVER spoke to one another. They are completely different.
The single din is all plastic, where as the 2Din as a very large cast alloy 'frame' that fits into the plastic dash and allows the 2in unit to mount to something solid.
I also looked into converting the single din dash to double din, but there is so little plastic left that it really would not work without everything creaking and rattling

It's a none starter I'm afraid
Audi must have given the single and 2Din dashes to two separate department with people who NEVER spoke to one another. They are completely different.
The single din is all plastic, where as the 2Din as a very large cast alloy 'frame' that fits into the plastic dash and allows the 2in unit to mount to something solid.
I also looked into converting the single din dash to double din, but there is so little plastic left that it really would not work without everything creaking and rattling

Well, it’s too late now. I have the double DIN cage and I aim to make it fit. I’m a Mechanical Engineer/toolmaker by trade so I’m hoping i’ll come up with something!

Well, it’s too late now. I have the double DIN cage and I aim to make it fit. I’m a Mechanical Engineer/toolmaker by trade so I’m hoping i’ll come up with something!

I am the same engineering background :)

It is possible to fit the 2Din cage into the single din dash, but only if you remove the dash from the car, and if you are going to that then its simpler to replace with a 2din dash
I have done the dash swap twice now, and I still can't believe how different the dashes are from the back side

best of luck
Paul

Another option on this is to change the centre console piece on the dash as it is a separate part that has been joined by a few tabs and then plastic welded together. I've done the swap with the dash out but it might (with some space restrictions) be possible with a dremmelly type tool and the right attachments.
d6b425ba45fb90122f8fa4b26846a1e3.jpg

Another option on this is to change the centre console piece on the dash as it is a separate part that has been joined by a few tabs and then plastic welded together. I've done the swap with the dash out but it might (with some space restrictions) be possible with a dremmelly type tool and the right attachments.

With the dash out yes but with the dash in place not a hope in hell
If the dash is coming out and you need the centre section from a 2 Din dash then put the complete 2Din dash in the car
Only reason for swapping the centre section is if the 2Din dash had the airbag deployed

I had not thought of THAT way! I've converted a single-DIN to double twice, now. It really isn't too difficult. If the dash is removed, it's easy to see what material to remove to fit the cage. You then need to fabricate two simple cage mounting brackets from thin aluminium sheet. They are pop-riveted to the edge of the dash cage opening.The obvious aim of all of this is to firmly secure the double-DIN cage. Once in place, the finally fitted dash will look 100%! Now there is no chance of any creaking or groaning from the modified dash .... none at all! I have removed and fitted 3/4 dashes. It is no big deal .... the more you do, the better you get! There are some (very) difficult to reach fastenings, but with care and patience, you'll get there! Sometimes you may think "just why isn't the dash coming loose?" THEN you find ANOTHER "hidden" fastening! I made a record of all the fastenings and I've used it since. It might be worth taking some photos as the dash is steadily loosened?. Anyway, my advice is to be confident and to progress with it.

David

Back