Any sense from Audi about the opensky problem?

nicktash-a2

hi folks,
i have searched the forum with regards to the opensky problems that most experience, i was wondering, did anyone ever get and sense out of audi re a better price for repair? failing that, how about a repair guide from Audi for the adventurous amongst us?
mine opens after a lot of noise from the motor and not completely, and when it closes it doesnt close straight and whistles like mad even at 2mph, needles to say i have gaffer taped the gap up along the front of it.

cheers
nick

If you're prepared to take it to Rinner (Germany), you can get it repaired for the cost of a full service, as long as the car is < 10 years old.

There's no need for a trip to Rinner, theres at least one case now of people having a new Open Sky fitted in the UK under warranty - the only catch been that you have to have your last service at Audi and the car has to be less than 10 years old.

Cheers Rob.

There's no need for a trip to Rinner, theres at least one case now of people having a new Open Sky fitted in the UK under warranty - the only catch been that you have to have your last service at Audi and the car has to be less than 10 years old.

Cheers Rob.

That's me screwed then seeing as mine Is 10 years and nearly 5 months old :( do u think they would make an exception? No neither do I lol so that leads me to my next question, has anyone got any DIY instructions or even pictures of the mechanism?

one of the threads (Maybe the "reborn" one) has all the available documentation in the public domain (and it's there, attached). Anything else needs to be gleaned from other sources...

Bret

contact Chris Smith at Worthing Audi...he will need your reg number and VIN number...he will run it through the Audi computer to see if they will do it under warranty. He may be able to help you even if it is just over 10 years old. They did a good job on mine and they have 3 other members booked in for the replacement.

contact Chris Smith at Worthing Audi...he will need your reg number and VIN number...he will run it through the Audi computer to see if they will do it under warranty. He may be able to help you even if it is just over 10 years old. They did a good job on mine and they have 3 other members booked in for the replacement.

I am next to go on Tuesday and so far can vouch what haudi partner says. Excellent email response from Chris at Worthing compared to others. Will update you all later this week

I am next to go on Tuesday and so far can vouch what haudi partner says. Excellent email response from Chris at Worthing compared to others. Will update you all later this week:)

I am next to go on Tuesday and so far can vouch what haudi partner says. Excellent email response from Chris at Worthing compared to others. Will update you all later this week:)

thats cool for you bud please do keep us up to date, also has anyone got chris smiths email address? pm me with it please?

cheers
nick

How long do they have your car for? It's just down the road for me so I am tempted by this.

Mine is not broken however when it comes to the last few inches the motor makes a grinding noise and in the summer the opensky sometimes does not open. I wonder if they will look at mine under warranty.

Last edited:
mine makes a grinding noise for about 3 seconds before it starts winding when opening and closing and it closes faster on one side than the other, needs a helping hand to shut straight and then also whistles like mad once closed at anything faster than 2 mph, i have simply left it shut and put black duck tape over the front gap!!

mine makes a grinding noise for about 3 seconds before it starts winding when opening and closing and it closes faster on one side than the other, needs a helping hand to shut straight and then also whistles like mad once closed at anything faster than 2 mph, i have simply left it shut and put black duck tape over the front gap!!

When I opened mine it stopped after about an inch so I closed it and had the whistling also. Clip out the switch/internal light assy in the roof and you should find a angled allen key attached which allows you to insert it into the OSS motor and wind it shut with a little help from outside/above. Mine closed properly and no more whistles!:)

Touch wood my OSS still working ok after 8 years. I was at Lincoln Audi yesterday picking up some wheel centre caps and a new floppy wiper blade so I thought I'd check out their position re the 10 year Audi goodwill scheme re the OSS. I was told very bluntly that they would only consider warranty claims during the standard manufacturer's warranty period (3 years from new?). So anyone up this part of the country with a duff OSS don't waste your time going to Audi Lincoln.

Last edited:
Yeah, picking her up tomorrow and the roof is getting opened on the way home even if it's raining lol.

Haha :D

Do you have any other pics of your car, I'm interested to see the wheels.

Mine's now booked in for the last week this month but I don't know if I'll open it once fixed....wouldn't have this problem with a Roomster :(

I'm having a minor service done there too. It's worked out well timewise since the last service (a major one). That was done at Rinner's.

Back