1.4 Petrol makes a bizarre noise when starting

far0n

Like an elephant... that's the best way to describe it. Dunno whether it's cogs jumping or something, don't have any problems starting it just makes the most bizarre noise. Any ideas ??

could you describe it in a bit more detail? Does the noise happen when the engine is cranking? Or is it a noise that's after the engine is fired up and the starter motor winding down? And for how long does it do it?

Your 'elephant' description matches closest to the starter motor being dirty and makes a noise after the engine has started. It would last for about 2 seconds or so and is a wind down kind of sound. It is nothing to worry too much, very common on many cars not just the A2. I have had it for a number of years and ambient temperature can affect the severity of the sound. If this is not what you're describing, I'm sure other members can help if you give more details.

I would concur with Humps on this one. Mine sounds like an elephant in the winter/cold weather. Its def the starter, does it just as it fires up and lasts until the pinion has freed. I asked about having the motor cleaned but was told its more trouble than its worth and wouldnt necessarily cure it. Apparently quite common on older cars. Mine has stopped doing it since the weather improved. Cheers Colin.

I've heard this sound on a 1.4A2 courtesy car as well - it's the starter motor. As mentioned above there's no guarantee that replacing the starter will actually cure the problem!

Elephant noise sounds a bit extreme. Mine sounds like a diesel engine for about 2 seconds when I start it, then it's fine. I have been told this is just the oil pump pressuring the system and quite normal.

Cheers chaps, the noise happens when the engine has already started and the motor is winding down. Like I say, it's more weird than problematic. :)

Elephant noise sounds a bit extreme. Mine sounds like a diesel engine for about 2 seconds when I start it, then it's fine. I have been told this is just the oil pump pressuring the system and quite normal.

Do you have an FSi- if so then yes that's apparently not unusual.
I actually think the elephant noise is quite an apt description of the slow starter-motor disengagement sound, it does sound quite like a baby elephant trumpeting for a second or two!

So we all seem to be in agreement, it is the starter, it does sound like an elephant and hopefully isn't a great problem. (mines a 1.4 petrol) Cant wait for it to turn cold again to see if 'nellie' returns. Although its much better without her. Cheers Colin

We've just put the deposit down on a 2001 A2 1.4SE in Black.

The car's being serviced, MOT'd and having the alternator changed. The car will also have the 1 second squeaky toy sound on startup looked at. Is this definitely the starter motor in need of clearing out or could it be the alternator belt under extra strain from the starter current until the engine's turning over under its own power?

All A2's seem to suffer the starter motor over run at some point but instead of fitting a new one as the dealer automatically would (although they are not too expensive anyway) i have been assured that if the starter motor is taken apart and greased the over run will disappear but i haven't tried it myself as yet, has anyone?

Back