Rear tailgate stuck closed...help!

Hi, can anybody help me diagnose/fix the problem with my A2 boot. My rear tailgte is stuck in the closed position and won't open.

The same problem occured a couple of times last year but rectified itself after about 24 hrs. This time its been stuck closed for over a week! When you life the rubber boot release handle up it still makes the central locking noise but the lock does not seem to properly engage/work and therefore the tailgate remians closed.

I'm reluctant to just give the vehicle to a dealer to fix, as it could be one of those jobs that takes hours to repair. So I thought I'd check to see if any other a2oc member has had the problem before and if so, can advise or know the most cost effective way to fix it.

thanks in advance

Andypaul2911

Hi,
I'm having the opposite, my tailgate shows as open on the display, when I examined the latch on the tailgate the lock moved inwards and wouldn't move until I touched the boot release. It doesn't come open when driving but I am getting that sick feeling you get just before you have to spend a lot of money. Can you buy the solenoid or any of the parts separately or is this another part that comes on a pallet?

Hi,
I'm having the opposite, my tailgate shows as open on the display, when I examined the latch on the tailgate the lock moved inwards and wouldn't move until I touched the boot release. It doesn't come open when driving but I am getting that sick feeling you get just before you have to spend a lot of money. Can you buy the solenoid or any of the parts separately or is this another part that comes on a pallet?

Luckly the parts are not that expensive and are very easy to replace (if you are a bit of a DIY'er), for you it may be easier to remove the inner panel to see whats moving when you opperate the catch, but i think it may be the catch thats at fault (which has the micro switch in it) and you can't replace the micro switch it has to replaced as part of the catch

Phil

Thanks guys,
I'm going to run it in to my local indie on Monday and give him the sob story, he's just done a rear whub & bearing for me so he'll more than likely have a butchers for free which is nice, or not as it came back last time with a big greasy mark on my freshly waxed bumper. I think I need to invest in some tools so I can do this sort of thing myself.

Thanks guys,
I'm going to run it in to my local indie on Monday and give him the sob story, he's just done a rear whub & bearing for me so he'll more than likely have a butchers for free which is nice, or not as it came back last time with a big greasy mark on my freshly waxed bumper. I think I need to invest in some tools so I can do this sort of thing myself.

If he's got VDCS i think he should be able to run a program to see if the catch is working properly

Phil

Thanks Phil
Is that the little thing that looks a bit like a busted gameboy? I think I saw him plug it in near to the steering column when he was inspecting another fault (I think that one will be posted soon, a real good headscratcher)with my ABS.

Thanks Phil
Is that the little thing that looks a bit like a busted gameboy? I think I saw him plug it in near to the steering column when he was inspecting another fault (I think that one will be posted soon, a real good headscratcher)with my ABS.

That maybe just a code reader VDCS is what was once called Vag.com its a VAG group after market diagnostic machine normally on a laptop

Phil

Wow, that was lucky, I went back to my indie ( Wembley motor spares) and the gaffer opened the tailgate and said "its the trim" got a mini crowbar type job to the trim either side of the catch on the car body, closed the boot, no alarm, no VAG.com necessary ( although available). One happy camper:cool:

Back