Dash Instrument Cluster Replacement - Immoblisier not working...

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can give some advise on a problem...

The instrument cluster (The MPH and rev gage) on my A2 1.4TDi decided to burn out last week. I had a friend replace the cluster for a new OEM part purchased directly from Audi's parts department, however the car needed to go into the stealer to have the dash programmed to the car. It's currently with Audi and I'm being told that they're having difficulties in pairing the original key with the original imobiliser. He explained that they would normally connect up the old dash and cloan all the information over to the new dash before replacing, and this would include the coding that is needed to allow the key to talk to the ECU and disable the imobiliser. As the circuitry behind the old dash litterally melted, they may not be able to read the information from it and I'm being told that it's possible that the ECU may also need to be replaced along with the key to get the car started again.

Does this make sense to anyone, or are they trying to pull a fast one?

Would be really greatful if someone could explain what happens when the car is started and how the Dash (cluster) is connected to the imobiliser being activated by the the key?

Thanks

T

Where are you? Another member here had a very similar issue, believe it or not I was the only one who could and did fix it :)

Would definitely be interested in having a go at fixing it. I need ALL parts, the old clocks (instrument cluster) and new ones, PM me all the info :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one Sarge :D its great having our own A2 electrical expert able to come to the rescue.

With your experience with shoby car I would not think anyone could come close with the knoedge you have.

Cheers

David

Nice one Sarge :D its great having our own A2 electrical expert able to come to the rescue.

With your experience with shoby car I would not think anyone could come close with the knoedge you have.

Cheers

David

Hi David, Thank you, but I'm sure there are many others here who are more than capable :)

The last repair had been to a few garages inc Audi and threatened to write off the car, admittedly it was hard, but I got it done saving a member here losing his A2 :)

I do like to attempt a challenge, keeps the mind going :) but hey, if Audi can't do it then he's got nothing to lose by letting me at it :)

Cheers
Sarge

Hi Sarge,

Thanks for the response.
I'm in Berkshire.
The old dash has actually gone back to Audi, and the circuit board was completely melted, so it probably wouldn't have worked...

Current situation is that Audi are not able to re-code the dash/imobiliser, I'm being told its locked them out.
They've been speaking with Audi UK who have in turn been speaking with zee Germans to try and find a way of cracking the code to log in and get the imobiliser working again.
They're telling me that it might need a new ECU and Key which I don't quite understand?!
My thinking is that if the ECU and key were working fine before and the dash has been replaced surely the dash is the one component that may be at fault. They have suggested that they might need to change the dash under warrenty, but failing that, the ECU and key will need replacing too...
Odd that they can't log into a new OEM part to get it sorted... Any thoughts?
The car is stuck in Audi over the weekend...

Back