No FM Radio!

willTDi

Hi All,
After collecting my A2 I was on the way home when I thought Id see what stations I could find so pressed the auto-scan button only to find it erased all the pre-set stations!
After endless time spent outside with the manual trying to find any FM stations I give up!!
The only thing I can think of is that the aerial could have come out the rear on the radio or the boot problem which I have read, so the question is, is there any way of getting to the back of the radio without buying keys & removing it also how do I check for any problems that could have happened in the boot lid?
Oh it's the Symphony II

Cheers

Will

So I guess your boot is dry? As above I don't think there is any way of getting the radio out without keys without distroying the radio. But they are cheep enough on eBay.

Cheers

David

Do you mean the boot in general? Cause if so yes it's 100% dry but I thought I'd need to take the inside of the boot lid off?
Which I am unsure how to do!
I'll buy those keys then..
Thanks for the replies

Will

I think it is the lower part of the boot with the tools ect in you have to look in.

Cheers

David

I think it is the lower part of the boot with the tools ect in you have to look in.

Cheers

David

Yeah, its the part of the boot to the right of the battery. There is a little diversity box that's part of the radio system, so if this gets wet it can cause problems. Another problem that could be causing your problem could be the amplifiers for the FM channel underneath the actual boot lid trim. I had a problem with the AM version of this once. However, I would definitely check behind your radio first for the most obvious problem.

Cheers Rob.

Ahh ok cheers Rob,
How do I take off the inside of the boot lid? or should I wait for the keys to come first & check out the back radio?

Ahh ok cheers Rob,
How do I take off the inside of the boot lid? or should I wait for the keys to come first & check out the back radio?

I would wait and first check behind the radio as this is a lot more straight forward. Taking the boot lid trim off isn't so bad, there are not any screws - it's just a case of brute force as it is held on by several retaining clips all around it. A chunky screw driver may be useful if used carefully to prize the trim away from the door, it is quite stiff.

Cheers Rob.

Radio 2 has a lot to answer for!!

I too have no radio signal but the previous owner said he'd had water leak into the boot some time back so I presume the diversity box is faulty, is this an expensive item?

Right got the keys today so which way do i put them in the 4 holes? They have a flat edge & a curved edge!
Also what do i do once theyre in?

Cheers

Right took the radio out & no problems there, no loose wires etc...
So just had another look in the boot & found a small amount of water at the bottom where the battery is but no where else! No wet carpets! Is the diversity box the empty black plastic box that is right of the battery?
Any help would be great.

Cheers

Right took the radio out & no problems there, no loose wires etc...
So just had another look in the boot & found a small amount of water at the bottom where the battery is but no where else! No wet carpets! Is the diversity box the empty black plastic box that is right of the battery?
Any help would be great.

Cheers

Glad you managed to get the radio out OK. The diversity box is mounted on the rear of the empty black plastic box as you look at it. Sounds like that's likely to be your problem if you've found water near there.

Cheers Rob.

So is the only fix to this problem the removal of rear bumper,replace seal but then what about the diversity box?would i need a new one?
How easy is the seal job?
Cheers
Will

Here's how I fixed my poor radio reception due to a faulty diversity box. Looks like my box had been under water for a while... Also the 12V air compressor was severely corroded and had to be thrown away. My jack also looks very corroded... There has been over 5 inches of water in the boot at some point.:mad:

1. Take apart the diversity box and tear off the 4-wire connector from the upper right corner. Snap the connector in half, and solder the halves together, so you get a female-female connector for two wires:
A2_corroded_diversity_box.jpg

2. Connect antenna wires as in the second pic, and secure the connection with electric tape. Now you should have better reception.

A2_radio_reception_fixed.jpg

I believe the diversity box switches between different antennas based on how good reception they get, and now you have one antenna permanently in use. ( I believe it's the rear window antenna). I read this tip from somewhere on this forum, so thanks to the original poster...

Another problem that still remains, is that when I charge my iPhone from the cigarette lighter, the radio reception gets poor... Any idea what could cause this?

Last edited:
Cheers AJP i'll have a look when I get home & see what can be done.
Do i take the black box out which will have the diversity box with it?

Thanks

Yes, it's easier to remove if you remove the surrounding black box out first. The diversity box is held by those three black clips, use a flat-blade screwdriver to pry it off.

Just trying to gwt the black box out & i have taken off the 2 top bolts but how do you get to the 2 bottom ones that are rusty!! Theres also been some holes drilled into the bottom of the metal, i guess this would have been to drain the water?
Theres only about 2mm at one side of the battery!but there is a water line where it been to in the past :(

Back