Newbie looking for add ons

R

ryderboy24

i picked up my A2 1.4tdi SE this afternoon its a silver 2005 with 61k on the clock and one previous owner. This car is like new and no one can believe its a six year old car. just goes to show how well made these little cars are.

Now i have the car i am looking at adding an Ipod dock and would appreciate any advice on which system woks best. I always looking for little up grades and boys toys to make my A2 even better.

Hello and Welcome!

I'm no expert on the iPod docks, but no doubt someone will be. There are some here who have taken those little upgrades and boys' toys to great levels!

Enjoy the forum,

Tom

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Dont mean to sound a ****er but you may not be aware that there is search function. Lots of information in there on which ipod adaptors to go for depending on which stereo you have.

Also nice to post some pics and specs of your new vehicle.

Hi and welcome to the A2oc and A2 ownership:) it sounds like you have got a lovely example there.

It's easy enough to get a iPod link to your radio. I have got a dice unit and it works very well. And it charges the newer iPhones. You can have the iPod in the glove box or like me in the cubby hole under the heating controls.

It was easy to fit, well it was easy for Mike Skipton anyway:)

I hope you have many happy A2 years driving.

Cheers

David

I see your point olly1, but we are all newbys when we joined. But until you get your head round how the search function works on here. It can be tricky to find what you want without getting pages of threads with most of them not what you need.

That's what I liked about the A2oc when I joined I got a nice warm welcome and lots of the members were happy to help with my questions even though I am sure that they has been asked many times before.

David

I see your point olly1, but we are all newbys when we joined. But until you get your head round how the search function works on here. It can be tricky to find what you want without getting pages of threads with most of them not what you need.

That's what I liked about the A2oc when I joined I got a nice warm welcome and lots of the members were happy to help with my questions even though I am sure that they has been asked many times before.

David

Agree the search function isn`t the most user friendly but still useful for single word searches.

Am an active member of another vehicle forum and it always bugs me when dealers or ebay sellers come on asking for advice in their very first post only to never add anything of value. Not saying that this happens here but its put me on the defensive as its happened a few times on the other forum..lol.

Anyway as far as advice goes, you can either go for a genuine audi unit (although these dont charge the modern ipods) and can be a bit of an arse to wire up or something if you want an easier and better option (which was suggested to me today) is the Xcarlink unit. Check out there website for more info.

Last edited:
There are multiple units you can use depending on your car's headunit (quad lock vs mini-iso) and ipod model. A 'dock' is something I wouldn't want as I don't want to indicate any valuables in car. I have it all hidden instead.

Older ipods, you can use ICELink Plus, gateway 100 or newer models, depending on buying new or ebay used. DICE or Connects2 and other makes as well. These allow some level of controls using the headunit's buttons like chris described above. Otherwise, can consider using AUX-in type adapters, they all pretend as a CD changer to the headunit. I prefer controls on the ipod itself but still wants it charged (aux-in adapters may not charge) so I set my ICELink to ipod control mode, but the device itself is out of sight in the cubby hole.

Back