Climate control panel removal....

alastairm

Hi, i'm going to replace the buttons on my climate control unit (i've bought a second hand A4 until and am going to change the buttons over).

My question is how do i remove the existing climate unit? I've got the keys to take the stero out but i can't seem to work out how to remove the climate unit itself. Any ideas?
thanks

There is a thread about it if you use the search

But basically you push from the back of the unit and it come out. Dont touch the stereo but make sure pop the ashtray open.

thanks very much chaps, i've got it out now and replaced the buttons and it instantly smartens up the interior!!

thanks very much chaps, i've got it out now and replaced the buttons and it instantly smartens up the interior!!

Hi,

I've got a donor unit for the buttons as well. Please tell me how you did this...I am really worried that I will take it out and then be left with a mess...no confidence in myself!

How did you get the buttons our of the units to swap over? Do I need the get hold of some keys to remove the stereo? Any help and guidance would be sooo appreciated.

Cheers.

you need to remove the stereo, then unplug the climate panel and push it out (it takes a fair bit of force). You then need some very fine torx drivers to undo the screws holding on the panel once the unit is removed. Simply undo these and then push out the old buttons and put the new ones back in and then redo a reverse of everything to put it back together!

If you go from underneather you DONT EVEN HAVE TO TOUCH THE STEREO!!

Here you go

Euqipment: Donor unit
torx screw driver

Start with Donor unit
1) Unscrew the face panel (4 or 5 screws from memory)
2) Unscrew circuit board attached to face panel (4 or so screws)
3) "pop out" all buttons from the back on the front panel – they just click out although might require a little force. If so then push on the tabs of the buttons (at the edges) as opposed to the centre of the button (if that makes any sense).

On A2 unit
1) pull put ashtray to open position (required to remove storage tray)
2) Storage tray removal - sliding hands in (knuckles together, eg palms apart) lifting palms remove storage tray.
3) Climate removal - lifting from underneath (towards the back) and the pushing from the back with the other hand remove climate control unit
4) Unscrew face panel
4) unscrew circuit board
5) pop buttons out
6) replace with new button
7) repeat processes 1-4 in reverse order.

DONE!

P1010357.jpg

If you go from underneather you DONT EVEN HAVE TO TOUCH THE STEREO!!

Here you go

Euqipment: Donor unit
torx screw driver

Start with Donor unit
1) Unscrew the face panel (4 or 5 screws from memory)
2) Unscrew circuit board attached to face panel (4 or so screws)
3) "pop out" all buttons from the back on the front panel – they just click out although might require a little force. If so then push on the tabs of the buttons (at the edges) as opposed to the centre of the button (if that makes any sense).

On A2 unit
1) pull put ashtray to open position (required to remove storage tray)
2) Storage tray removal - sliding hands in (knuckles together, eg palms apart) lifting palms remove storage tray.
3) Climate removal - lifting from underneath (towards the back) and the pushing from the back with the other hand remove climate control unit
4) Unscrew face panel
4) unscrew circuit board
5) pop buttons out
6) replace with new button
7) repeat processes 1-4 in reverse order.

DONE!

P1010357.jpg

Olly,

You are a star. Job done and I am well chuffed!

Cheers!

struggling with the storage tray its seems well and truly jammed in need to get this out to change climate and run cable for ipod any further pointers im stuck at the mo

thanks

oli

Hi Oli,

Make sure the ash tray is open. Then make a fist and put it in the storage tray. Open your fist until it is in there nice and firm. Then pull your fist out and hopefully that will do the trick. It is very firm.

Good luck

Daid

thanks managed to sort it by putting two fists in one facing up the other down and wrenched it out i was being too gentle with things i think

oli

Going to attempt this today.. could someone tell me what size or torx screwdriver i need for this because it looks incredibly small!

Back