Symphony front speakers not working

Hi all. This is my first post so I hope it works!

The front speakers have stopped working in my A2. The fader control makes no difference and the rear ones are fine. Having taken the unit out I was surprised to find 'Line Out' connections rather than direct speaker connections. Does this mean there is an amplifier somewhere? And if so, where is it? There are however speaker connections for LF and RF which have cables connected also, so what are those?

symphony.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated. :)

Hi Jonathan
Sorry to hear about this - welcome to the club though, I'm sure we can sort you out!

I can answer your 2nd question first - if you don't have Bose, the rear speakers in the A2 are powered by a seperate off-board 2-channel Blaupunkt amplifier located under the driver's seat in the void space there.

For your front speakers - were there any other symptoms first, eg. crackling or occasional cutting out, or did it just stop one morning? Are the front speaker cables firmly connected into the harness at the back of the head unit?

Thanks dan_b.

They just stopped working one day. I've re-seated all the connectors which sadly has not helped. I'm not sure if I have the Bose system - is it obvious ie. printed on the head unit for example?

Hi and welcome to the A2oc.

If Bose was factory fitted then your speaker grills will have bose on them. Also you will have a sub in the lower part of your boot and the jack ect will be in the space under the drivers footwell.

Cheers

David

Ahh. I see. Sadly I don't have Bose then!

So... from what dan_b says it sounds like the front speakers are powered directly from the head unit and the rear from an external amplifier. I'm guessing this means the head unit amplifier is, how do I put it, knackered. Any ideas?

The Symphony Head Unit can report fault codes to the ECU I think - I'd suggest you get a scan for error codes and see if any come up first before assuming the worst?!

If the amp inside the Head Unit has gone, there are usually a couple of Symphonys knocking about on Ebay. I'm assuming your one has the built in 6 CD changer inside?

do you have a multi-meter to take a reading off the pins to check? If you're familiar with electronics, you can also pop open the head unit and trace which one of those larger size transistors is dead, it may be replaceable.

front.jpgHere's a picture of it dan-b - it's a single cd version.

I guess I could gat a small amplifier and use the Line Out connections for the front speakers if the internal amplifier has blown. It seems a shame to replace the whole thing really.

That's the original Symphony I unit then. There is a later Symphony II which has the built-in CD changer, nice piece of kit. There are several on Ebay at the moment for various ranges of price (lowest priced one seems to be £50) - if the internal amp has gone it would probably be a lot cheaper and easier to just replace the whole thing, but I think if you want to try diagnosing and repairing it then Humps's suggestion is a good starting point.
I see you have heated seats? What other goodies does your car have on it then?! :)

If you're on Sym I, then you want to check if the car is compatible with Sym II which I believe will require a CAN-BUS emulator. Like the folks who tried to upgrade from Concert I to II.

Dan-b This is my first A2 so I'm not sure what comes as standard. It's a silver petrol SE model. I have electric windows all round, heated nappa leather seats, climate control, anti vandal window film (very important in Surrey!) and a lovely stereo that doesn't work.

I might have a go at connecting an external amp to see if that works. It will be a lot cheaper than replacing the whole thing...

Hi And Welcome from me too!.

Yes you will most probably be better off to use an after market external amp. I can repair some of the Audi units though :)

I have currently a Symphony II available for sale, it's the 6 disc changer type, pretty much mint with security code :)

Cheers
Sarge

I've ordered a cheap amplifier to see if it works in principle. If it does I may then swap it out for a better one if needed. I found the void under the driver seat that dan-b mentioned. There's loads of room in there! Its a shame its not more easily accessible - could be useful for putting odds and sods in. At least the amp can go there I guess. I'll let you know how I get on......

That void is where the Bose amp would go - and if you have Bose the tool kit goes there too - as the space in the boot is taken up by the Sub! The equivalent void under the passenger seat contains the ECU and the CCU.
Did you spot the tiny tiny Blaupunkt rear speakers amp under there by the way?!
Let us know how you get on with the 2nd amp.

Back