Added DAB radio to my car

craigyb

A2OC Donor
So I was never a big fan of these add on DAB modules, but I took a chance on the Sonichi S1000 DAB radio module from Halfords and I've been pleasantly suprised. It worked straight away with no external antenna required and gives an excellent high level audio signal into the RNS-E's low level aux input. Mounted it on the dash to the right of the cluster and hardwired it into the cars switched live source.

Just wanted to add that I do a fair bit of driving around the UK, 22000 miles since April, so it will get well tested for reception.

Attachments

• 20111030_154116.jpg
    20111030_154116.jpg
    516.8 KB · Views: 1,063
  • 20111030_154239.jpg
    20111030_154239.jpg
    533.3 KB · Views: 904
  • 20111030_154204.jpg
    20111030_154204.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 759
Last edited:
Nice one Craig, although I'm wondering why you didn't incorporate an Audi unit, or is that to come?

Just to add, CraigyB is one of the top Audi retro-fitters in the UK - he fitted the Audi BT system in Tank and has done some very special installations in various Audi models.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike

I tried unsuccessfully yesterday to get an MMI system working, so decided to stick with the RNS-E, as there is no OEM DAB solution for the RNS-E I have had to use the external module.

One other option I had considered is a DAB module with video out which looked promising, but as my Nav unit is a 2010/11 model I can't do TV in motion on it yet so difficult to use when you can't see the video screen. If the TV in motion hack for the 2010 RNS-E systems becomes available then I may switch to the hidden system, but I will have to then add two more functions, a link from the RNS-E to the DAB units IR input (Kufatec IMA Plus) and also a good quality glass mount antenna.

If all of the above is successful, then i would have a DAB solution integrated with the RNS-E controls/screen and effectively all hidden from view.

OK, I drove about 250 miles today, Manchester, Bradford, Macclesfield, Stafford and then home, the Sonichi performed superbly, I have to say even better than my A7 with factory DAB. Very impressed for a DAB receiver with no external antenna.

Back