Starter motor noise how to clean

audimad23

Hi everyone my starter motor on my 1.4 petrol audi a2 is making a strange noise when starting I was wondering if there are any guides how you can clean the starter motor as don't want to buy a new one as it's fine apart from the annoying noise also if I take it off the car will I need to reprogram the starter motor with vagcom please post with any help thanks audimad23

Hi everyone my starter motor on my 1.4 petrol audi a2 is making a strange noise when starting I was wondering if there are any guides how you can clean the starter motor as don't want to buy a new one as it's fine apart from the annoying noise also if I take it off the car will I need to reprogram the starter motor with vagcom please post with any help thanks audimad23
If I am correct, I think that for taking down starter motor you have to take off all the belts and everything. Which is a lot of work. It looks like that this does not effect the life of the starter, so I just left it as it is. I will clean it when the belts and water pump will be changed next time.
Use search function, there has been a lot written about this.

Yes very annoying, mine been doing this for nearly 4 years now. Its a common problem with VAG starters its the nose bearing drying out thus coursing screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech lol, mine does it intermitent sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't its booked at an hour and a half to replace the starter but a good auto electrician that does refurbs should be able to replace the bearing if you wanted them too

Phil

Back to basics - the starter pinion engages with a flywheel mounted ring gear. The flywheel is on the gearbox end of the engine so neither the cambelt or alternator drive belt need removing for access. The TDi starter is very easy to remove but I think the petrol one is more tricky. I have not worked on an A2 starter but have found a typical diagram which will help explain the possible problem
http://www.pictureupload.de/originals/57699/050409152950_auto_anlasser_1.jpg
When the starter is activated, solenoid (A) works via selector fork (9) and pulls the starter pinion (6) into engagement with the flywheel ring gear.
Once the engine is turning and the ignition key released, solenoid (A) should return to the off position and pinion (6) slide along the shaft and disengage from the ring gear. If the shaft of (810) is rusty or dirty, pinion (6) won't slide back quickly enough so the pinion whirrs round with the ring gear for a few seconds.
Its a case of checking the solenoid, selector fork and starter pinion shaft to ensure everything is clean and working smoothly

Hope this helps

Cheers Spike

Anyone had their motor stick on? I was in York the other day went to start the car and the motor stayed engaged. Quickly switched off ignition and the motor continued to turn the engine over until I pulled off the neg battery lead. Had it happen a couple of times since.
When the starter pinion is engaged does it also contact power to the starter?

hi just changed the starter on my 16 fsi bit of a job had to drop air con and remove plastic water guard pig to get out ,get to it under car ,once out easy to put back ,about an hour , long bolt in starter 18 ring spanner a must, hope this helps bob

Back