HELP! engine has just started mis-firing and ABS lights have come on 1.4 TDI

jester27

Afternoon guys..

Wonder if someone out there can help
just been out in the car today, have had it for almost a year now and it hasn't given me one spot of trouble.

Parked the car up in town, came back to it and started it up.

I thought it sounded a little strange on tickover while I was waiting to pull away.
Anyway, the car feels like its running on -1 cylinder, really lumpy which seemed at first to not be as bad once I got going however about a mile down the road the dash lit up like a xmas tree
with the yellow ABS lights on each dial lighting up and a Red Brake symbol with exclamation mark flashing in middle with beeps going off too..

I have taken a VCDS log and it has shown the following faults.

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.0
Thursday, 19 January 2012, 14:11:32:0

Chassis Type: 8Z - Audi A2
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,16,17,18,37,45,46,56,57,75,76,77

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: 045-906-019-AMF.LBL
Controller: 045 906 019 AT
Component: 1,4l R3 EDC 0000SG 1532
Coding: 00005
Shop #: WSC 02138
WAUZZZ8Z03N033430 AUZ7Z0C2388329
1 Fault Found:
18074 - PD Unit Injector; Cylinder 1 (N240): Electrical Malfunction
P1666 - 35-00 - -
Readiness: N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: Redir Fail!
Controller: 8Z0 907 379 D
Component: ESP FRONT MK60 0101
Coding: 0007303
Shop #: WSC 00000
1 Fault Found:
01314 - Engine Control Module
013 - Check DTC Memory - Intermittent

Does anyone have a better understanding of these so I can diagnose myself possibly before I take the car in to the garage.

Could the two faults be related in some way ?:confused:

It seems very strange that they both cropped up within 5 mins of each other having had no faults at all for the past year.

Many thanks in advance

Dean

You can order the replacement harness from Audi for about £80 and if you fancy a bit of DIY you can do it yourself it's about a 2-3 hour job.

Cheers Dan

I have ordered the harness from Wakefield Audi, will be here on Tuesday morning

was £54 inc VAT

Though my mate is a senior Tech there so going to have a word with him about doing the job and what I need to look out for etc..
and he usually gets me parts at staff discount rate, so should be a little less than the £54 they quoted me.

Sounds like its not a massive job.

I tried switch cleaner on the Loom connector the other day just to be sure with all the frost and damp etc.
reset the logs etc
I thought initially it had cured it as it ran fine until it got to operating temp and then it threw the lights on again and started misfiring

Hopefully after reading all the other posts, this should cure it as it seems a common thing with the symptoms I have

Dean

fingers crossed it fixes your problem and your mate can guide you through the fitting process. i think as the a2 gets older this is going to be a more common problem so lets hope audi have plenty of looms in stock!
cheers mike

Picked up the part this morning, had fault on way home due to car getting warm.
Spent a couple of hours fitting it and a few choice words too...

lost my socket set small extension bar onto the tray and can't get to it, so that gonna drop out at some point.
but thats a small price to pay for doing the job yourself and saving a fortune on garage labour I suppose.

Anyway

Yeah baby !

Its all good

been for a run, car feels great, no issues what so ever
running better than ever in fact

was a pain to do, more down to the cold than anything though.

but I think I've saved enough to be happy with the hassle of doing it yourself.

Thanks for the help chaps
you're the best help around

Dean

Glad to hear it's all fixed - access is a pain on this job but it is DIY-able for sure. You could take the undertray off to rescue your extension bar?
Did you use some solvent to get the cover gasket seal nice and clean when you re-assembled?

Might be worth running another error code scan now see if they've all cleared up - I'm thinking specifically about the strange 2nd code you reported.

Back