audi a2 1.6 fsi (bad) remove / refit instructions needed for EGR PIPE replacement diy

m70wse

with my photos & muggles instructions have a go yourself.

parts list

p u036 131 521 bn n/stk pipe qty 1 unit price £78.00
p u036 131 550 c h.1.6.b gasket qty 1 £1.00
p un 903 659 07 n/stk screw qty 4 £0.44
p u036 131 547 c h.1.7.a gasket qty 1 £1.92
p u036 906 149 e n/stk seal qty 1 £1.61
p un 100 802 04 n/stk bolt qty 3 £0.52
p un 909 865 01 n/stk clip qty 1 £0.96

Last edited:
Mine went after 7 years / 65 000 miles.
I had this replacement done by local (genuine, non-independent) VW garage. Parts (pipe & 2 gaskets) were £70, labour was £82.50, with VAT on top (Sept. 2009 prices).
Considered doing it myself but I think the fuel pump (on the end of one camshaft) should be removed, and it started to look fiddly. I think those with the knowledge can find short-cuts!
Not sure whether replacement pipe is improved - its been OK since.
Hope this helps!

don't be put off by the High pressure fuel pump removal.
This can be done by a competent diy mechanic

You'll need a good long spline bit to undo the bolts on the EGR connecting pipe - M8 I think. The temperature sender is in the way at the exhaust manifold end if you have a stubby bit.

Don't forget to order a new O-ring for the Fuel Pump for reinstalling

First:
Remove fuse for fuel pump first then let engine run until it stalls- repeat to ensure that pressure reduced in fuel system.

Then loosen pipe connecting fuel pump to high pressure fuel rail at both ends (have a rag to catch small amount of petrol)- with this free the fuel pump can be removed.

Now you can easily remove the 2 bolts each end holding the connecting pipe in place.

Next clean the EGR valve and Exhaust manifold where the pipe connects.

Reffitting is reverse of above.

Should be do-able within an hour.

A satisfying little job really - pics would help to explain above but its wet / dark and I can't capture screen images from ElsaWin right now.

Pete

This is very helpful, thank you. A cursory check shows that the pipe price has come right down but I am ready to be disappointed. Having disturbed the pipe to get the manifolds off I am not getting a lovely smell of uncatalyzed vPower fumes into the cabin when stationary. Well, that's what I think it is - can't be sure if the O rings on the fuel rail are leaking until I've dealt with this smell!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, now changed and working well, no more smell in the cabin. Audi have changed the bolts to Torx. The lower one on the exhaust manifold was a sod to do up, would be very hard to turn clockwise but span freely anti-clockwise. It didn't feel like a cross thread but there is so little space to work down there I haven't managed to get it out again to have a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back