Can't lock rear doors!

Deadman

Hi chaps, long time and all that!

Everything's been going fine, but yesterday after an uneventful drive I went to lock the car and nothing happened.
I tried my spare key, same result.

The central locking seems to work using the interior door switch (the usual clunk can be heard) but the key itself does nothing.
I have tried the "double turn" using the drivers lock, but I still can't lock the rear doors!
At present the driver/passenger and boot lock using the manual method, both rear doors are unlocked.
Obviously this is of concern... :eek:

Any pointers before I take this to an Audi dealer?

Sorry, I'm a little confused about what works when by which method. Let me see if I understand...

You've tried locking the doors with the remote control and nothing happens at all.
When using the interior switch on the driver's door, all doors lock excluding the rear doors.
Similarly, when turning the key in the driver's door lock, all doors lock excluding the rear doors.

I'm guessing you don't have rear electric windows?

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Tom,

Sorry for any confusion!

The remote control now does nothing at all, (althunlocked ok in the morning).
When using the interior switch on the driver's door, all doors lock excluding the rear doors.
Similarly, when (double) turning the key in the driver's door lock, all doors lock excluding the rear doors.
I don't have rear electric windows.

PS. having looked for similar threads, all interior lights work fine. So I guess it's not the fuse.

Many thanks

I suspect you've got a broken CCU (Central Convenience Unit).

The CCU is responsible for the remote control function and, in cars without rear electric windows, is directly responsible for locking the rear doors.
I suggest you get someone to give your car a diagnostic scan as this will certainly reveal some extra clues.

Should your CCU indeed be at fault, it's possible to have the unit repaired rather than replaced so long as you've got the 'Q' version of the CCU, which is likely given the age of your car. Get a diagnostic scan done and we'll take it from there.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom,

thanks for the advice - so strange that this should suddenly stop working like this.

In regards to the repair (if it is as you suggest) how would I go about this?
Is it a component that gets replaced, do you have any idea of cost?

Many thanks

There is a guy from german A2 club who fixes them. There is a spare ccu in the uk. So you get the spare and send yours off to be fixed. I don't know the cost though. It's got to be a lot cheaper than new, they are a few hundred quid.

I will do a search and see if I can find the thread with his details.

Cheers

David

Ps His Profile is here http://www.a2oc.net/forum/member.php?7903-Lau

Last edited:
As David says, there's a guy in Germany who can fix the Q version of the CCU. He charges in the order of £80 for the repair, inclusive of postage back to the UK. Normally he'll get the fixed unit back to you within a week or so. Various functions will not work whilst the CCU is away, of course, but you can still start the car and drive it around. It won't lock, but your car doesn't lock anyway!
A replacement CCU including fitting and coding is in excess of £500 if you sort the problem via the dealers.
Be aware that the repaired CCU will have lost its memory of your keys' remote control function. Linking the keys to the CCU is a 10 minute job for a club member with the appropriate computer software. Given your location, I'd recommend you speak to Sarge.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
All,

An idea for those with possible CCCU issues. I have a “spare”, fully working part available (part No. 8Z0 959 433 Q). I have placed this item up for sale before at a reasonable £100, but it might be better utilised as a “means to troubleshoot”.
Therefore, I’m not looking to sell the unit, but if a member needs a fully functioning CCCU to prove their unit is faulty or otherwise, drop me a PM and I will happily get mine in the post. I’d obviously expect my working “spare” unit to be returned once it has proved a fault (or otherwise).

Just a thought

Cheers

Jeff

More info on LAU's repair service and how to check the main chip ref number - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?13675-Repair-Service-for-Central-Convenience-Units
I think he covers more than the Q suffix models and also understood that all original settings are retained so no coding is needed (hope this is correct).

Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike,

More info also available here: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?13656
I don't actually know whether Lau also repairs other CCUs or whether it's just that the Q version is the one which so commonly fails. When I sent a CCU to be repaired by Lau, he told me that it would retain its function coding (things such as speed-lock, beep-on-lock, etc) but would lose its remote control link. Surely enough, when the unit was returned, I had to have the keys re-linked. Perhaps this isn't the usual case, though.

Tom

Hi Tom
I found the link to the ever growing list of 'suspect' CCU's - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?13358-convenience-module-part-number&p=102124#post102124
I forgot you have first hand experience of LAU's repair service so your comments on the requirement of key re-matching are important. Its better that owners are aware this may be required rather than panic when the keys don't initially work after replacing the CCU.

Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike,

I've just had a read of that thread. There seems to be conflicting information in the same thread about whether or not the remote controls will need to be rematched. Although Lau himself suggests at the end of the thread that no rematching is required, in my private exchanges with him he's told me that rematching is required, and indeed it was. Most confusing. For all those who are considering having Lau repair their CCU, I would work on the basis that rematching is required, so factor this into the cost of the job.
Either way, he's certainly able to repair more than just the Q version of the CCU; that much is clear.

Cheers,

Tom

Back