2010 RNS-E running in A4 mode with a full DIS car and full voice control

craigyb

A2OC Donor
So this has been bothering me for a while, I had a non DIS cluster and was able to run a 2010 RNS-E in A4 mode with a can bus simulator. This basically took the speed pulse, lights and ignition and converted them to can messages that the 2010 RNS-E could understand. So far, so good, no DIS to worry about and the RNS-E behaves itself and I can also use the Audi bluetooth kit in A4 mode.

Then I put in the new cluster with DIS and suddenly I can't use the 2010 RNS-E as the cluster doesn't generate GALA on the infotainment can bus, so I'm back to a pre 2010 RNS-E coded in A6 mode.

So I did some work to fit an Audi Can gateway to the car, linked up the drive can, infotainment can, comfort can and diag can to the can gateway and did some testing. I could only get the RNS-E to work in A3 mode, but this meant that I could not display on the DIS. But it did mean that VCDS could talk to lots of modules like in an A3 and was a lot faster. A by product but non the less useful.

But then I asked Bjarne about the cangate and if he had any available and could he send me the manual. I read about the cangate automatically generating GALA from speed pulses which the 2010 RNS-E would require. I ordered a cangate from Bjarne for $165 and £12 duty when it arrived, fitted it in and hey presto the 2010 RNS-E navigates in A4 mode, displays on the DIS perfectly and as an additional feature I get full SDS (voice control) of the RNS-E and phone system using a newly added "ECO" button fitted just in front of the ASR button.

So still doing some testing with the can gateway and infotainment messages that the cangate allows you to block etc, this is to try and get the road speed displayed on the RNS-E, something that works in the A3/TT/R8 with a 2010 RNS-E, but not in an A4/A2.

I also fitted a phone cradle in the center console so I can connect a genuine Audi cradle, I have bought an rSAP adaptor from ebay to use with my Galaxy SII in rSAP mode fro improved battery life and better quality of calls. It also display my phone book correctly in rSAP mode, rather than last,first i get first,last which is a great improvement. I've yet to fit the sharks fin to the roof, but the nut form the sharks fin was missing so I have had to order one from Audi.

Will post some pics later....

Attachments

• 20120204_110815.jpg
    20120204_110815.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 795
  • 20120204_110831.jpg
    20120204_110831.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 723
  • 20120204_110908.jpg
    20120204_110908.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 747
  • 20120204_110920.jpg
    20120204_110920.jpg
    533.2 KB · Views: 833
Last edited:
Congrats !
Nice job that you did...
You have gained some valuable experience in RNS-E retrofit :)

I have a 2003 A2 that has OEM "RNS-D" Navigation (and of course full DIS that's linked with it).
Do you think I would also need an extra device to run a 2010 RNS-E like you ?

To keep the DIS functions and run a 2010 RNS-E you would require a cangate from Bjarne.

In my RNS-D, I have a "Gala" setting that I can adjust.
So I suppose this Gala signal the unit receives is not in the right "format" ? (not over CANBUS)

Cool job !!

what kind of Can gateway did you use. Series from A3, TT... or is yours a modified one ?

Did you not experience any probs having the central display AND the Can gateway working in parallel ?

From what i guess to know, one function the 2010 RNS-E lacks if retro-fitted in an A2 without additional hardware is navigation through tunnels (no GPS position info available). That's because the GALA on the A2-CAN-BUS is not understand by the 2010 RNS-E (either coded as A3 or A4). Does anybody know if the following stated "rules" for additional CAN-Gateway still apply for retro-fitting a 2010 RNS-E into an A2 (with/without DIS)?

A2 without DIS: GALA-Generation works with additional CAN-Gateway from A3 (RNS-E coded as A3) or custom CAN-Gateway* (RNS-E coded as A4)
A2 with DIS: GALA-Generation works only with additional custom CAN-Gateway* as the RNS-E has to be coded as A4 to work with DIS

*either from Bjarne (still available?) or e.g. here

The reason for asking: I like the idea adding CAN diagnostics to the A2 as byproduct if using the CAN-Gateway from A3. But if that means the DIS will not work with RNS-E (coded as A3) i will just go for the custom CAN-Gateway.

Thanks in advance for any comment:).

Last edited:
That first post was like reading a foreign language. But the end result is clever, clever stuff!!!! Nice work. I am envious of your set up. I live down the road from you. Please feel free to come and install all that in my car, ideally before I return from holiday, I'll leave my keys with a neighbour.:p

Craigyb - Just wanted to thank you for the info in this post which has enabled me to get the speed display working on the 193PU RNS-E which I've fitted to my 2002 TT Coupe 8N. Gateway used was a 7N0 907 530 S.

Shame the GALA still isn't working as I was hoping that would be fixed also. :mad: Either I haven't coded something right (GALA option is being displayed in the sound setup DSP menu), or the 193PU in A6 mode is using something other than the V-signal wire, ABS pulses via the gateway or the existing CAN GALA messages used by the factory fit Chorus II. Perhaps it's the wrong format of GALA message from the TT cluster?

Why so many different ways to detect distance travelled/speed for one coding is beyond me!

Anyway thanks again for the info, because without it I'd have been stumped.

I may have a look into this in the near future - I've got a 2010 RNS-E spare now that used to reside in my TT. However, I've got to say that navigation functions are much better on my iPhone using either Apple mapping or Google maps, although the trade off is less integration.

Agreed, the RNS-E is getting very dated nowadays. Ultimately all you're missing with something aftermarket is DIS integration (although there are Zenec and Alpine units that have the ability to do it, and I expect someone will work it out for the Android units).

The navigation is not state of the art but it does the job. The full post code search is much better if you update it to that.
But if you go for the bluetooth phone kit (OEM) and OEM voice activation (SDS) it is quite good for a 15 year old car to have these options.
Just pressing the button and saying "navigate to home" is pretty neat.
I also like the way you can just speak the town, street and house number, meaning you can concentrate on the road without looking away.

The massive music storage capacity on the two SD card slots is also quite impressive.

So yes, not as good as the latest audi kit, but pretty impressive considering the age of the design.

Steve B

Last edited:
I may have a look into this in the near future - I've got a 2010 RNS-E spare now that used to reside in my TT. However, I've got to say that navigation functions are much better on my iPhone using either Apple mapping or Google maps, although the trade off is less integration.

Agree completely. Have you seen my cup holder dock, Michael? http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?25265
There may be no mini instructions sent to the DIS display, but I much prefer it to RNS-E.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
The Mk2 RNS-E holds up pretty well I think in terms of how it looks and operates as the screen is higher resolution and it all just works a bit faster, so it doesn't appear to be too outdated.

I prefer having physical buttons to interface with the unit - I'm not keen on touch-screen interfaces in a car when you're trying to drive - much easier to navigate the controls by tactile feel. However, I do wish the unit had DAB, and it is really bad that the Audi MAP DVD still doesn't have full UK postcode in it - yes there's a hack software available out there, but in my unit at least, copied DVDs just don't work reliably. Those two things do count against it.

I do wish the unit had DAB...

It can have DAB if you also have a MFSW. The integration of MediaDAB is hugely elegant no matter which OEM head unit you've got, but it's especially good on cars with RNS-E and DIS.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom.

I will have to have a look at that option.
I had heard that none of the DAB Options were up to much.
I hope it is an easy DIY and i hope the other options i have installed don't hamper the install.
Am i likely to have the right connectors available and not already used?

Thanks for the heads up on this!!!!

Steve B

Last edited:
Hi folks,

Yes, in order to achieve seamless, OEM-style integration, a MFSW is a necessity.

I have never done such an installation on a car with a more modern MFSW with roller controls rather than push buttons, though I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
It may be possible to buy a plug 'n' play adapter loom thing, but I've always custom made my own when doing this mod. The DAB receiver has to reside on the CAN network on a specific spur, so good understanding of CAN is essential for a DIY installation. Ideally, the unit feeds the DAB signal into the stereo via the diversity input, meaning no existing gear (such as hands-free kits, iPod interfaces, CD changers, etc) prevents this addition. The diversity system in the boot is passed through the DAB unit, so nothing is lost.

Needless to say, I can supply and fit a MFSW if needed.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Back