2 stroke oil in diesel...anyone tried it?

Hooley

A2OC Donor
Spent some time talking to a friend who has been doing this on his 140k mile 1.9 golf for the last 10k miles and he said he mostly noticed how much quieter it ran. No real change in either mpg or power but then the backside-dyno wouldn't be sensitive enough to detect it.
He did mention if his wife fills up she doesn't add it (just sheer laziness :) )andby the end of the tank his car is noticeably noisier.
He uses an inclusion rate of 200:1

Anyone tried it on the 1.4 tdi???

J

Posted from my iPlop...

I've heard of diesels running on all sorts of rubbish these days, but I've never heard about 2-stroke. I suppose the theory's sound.

I'd also be interested to see if anyone has tried it...

If there's no difference in power or fuel consumption, just less the noise off the engine, then what's the point?

Good quality two stroke isn't cheap!

As an old 2 stroke nut ( still own a rd350lc) I would never add 2stroke oil to my diesel due to seeing how much deposits it leaves behind! Im not going down the de coke option thank you. Are our cars to noisy?

OK

As the idea didn't get shot down in flames it's time to 'fess up'
I've been doing it for the last 3 tanks of fuel and personally have noticed the following

My noisy rattly little A2 has been transformed into....we not totally transformed, but definitely altered....into a much quieter engine, and at motorway speeds is almost silent (well i can't hear it over the tyre roar)
I've noticed that it is also a little better starting, and hasn't required any more than the first sign of the starter to fire, whereas before the car might have taken a few pulses to start.
Fuel economy is hard to tell as I've just seen 61.4 for my last full tank which was a mix of about 70% motorway (at 50 - 75 where possible) and short commuting. The previous tank is a little bit of an oddity as i had access to a runway for a few V-max runs which will have hammered the fuel consumption.
When accelerating I have noticed it does pick-up earlier and the torque seems to come in earlier, but that just be me looking for a difference and finding one when it's not there.

The reason as to why I used it was the fact that the sulphur content in diesel has dropped over the years from when the 1.4PD engine was designed (at least 14 years ago) and I thought I would try anything after the positive recommendation of my friend. I was a little tentative at first using a ratio of 1:250, but dropped it to 1:150 for the next tank and immediately noticed the difference. I've gone back to 1:200 for the third tank.

Costs:
I'm adding 150ml per 30L tank, so the cost is around £0.92 for the oil, but as it's taking up 0.15L of space then the diesel cost is removed (£0.21) so the cost per tank is around 70p or around 2.3p per litre diesel which i am mopre than saving by using my local discount petrol station which is selling for 1.39 today.
Possible benefits are longevity of the engine as well as slightly better consumption to offset the cost and lower noise. Plus maybe a little bit on the arse-dyno, but I think my arse-dyno may not be too accurate.

J
(Flame-suit on)
:eek:

You need to register first, then unless you speak German, use Google Chrome and it will automatically translate the pages for you (in a fashion)

J

Posted from my iPlop...

Good
And the same findings that I've noticed so far
Only about 16 pages of posts over about 15 months.

J

Posted from my iPlop...

Thanks, so are you running the 2T oil as an additive with V Power? And any benefit from using mineral or synthetic 2T oil? As an aside I have noticed in the past 10 days as the ambient temperature has risen above 50 Farenheit my car runs better with noticably improved MPG. I know all engines benefit in less cold weather but my A2 seems particularly sensitive than just about any other car I have owned.

Costs:
I'm adding 150ml per 30L tank, so the cost is around £0.92 for the oil :

That's a pretty low cost oil, what is it?

I've got some fully synthetic two-stroke that I used to put in my KTM (300-EXC-E) and it was costing £80 for four litres.
Tempted to give it a go as I've no need for the oil.

Still got a 350YPVS but I can't see that hitting the road this year, or next for that matter........

Local petrol station on special offer
Semi synthetic and made by Mobil.

Works well for me

J

so what is the gist of the german forum view of using 2stroke oil as an additive? Good/bad/inconclusive?

Just a few Google-translated comments..enjoy

The first day:
No change at cold start. Engine starts after throaty "in the course of the day" shaking and 3 seconds to run the starter can of engine runs rough as ever the day about 300 km highway engine noise under load.... " The second day: Engine starts much faster the noise. in the cold idle does not sound so rough and the engine shakes considerably less. And back on the highway. highway with lots of gradients. engine noise has significantly pithy as usual and the engine more power. Compared with other up at higher speeds the slopes. Where previously only 100 was now up to 120 in the FIS is the consumption of 4.2 L to 4.0 L, despite the increase in average speed.. As the week went even further 900km. Present condition: engine starts immediately glow around key runs. . no more engine sound rough. Combustion is soft and the engine shakes no more. The engine performance has also increased somewhat. pulling power now in ECO mode as before without ECO mode. Also, the average consumption by a further 0.1 L declined. Maybe It lies on the weather. It's also become warmer. I can not explain it. the next 4 tanks are at the current weather situation is now cremated without a two-stroke oil in order for me to have clarity whether it's the oil. I have to time this issue cautiously inquired in friendly. The thought that maybe it's the cleaning effect and the nozzle elements (whatever he meant by that, too) would now be clean again. I should in any case, the oil is omitted because it would lead to carbon deposits. My son has the present today TUV man asked reply.. "He would have never heard of could imagine, however, that the compression is increased, and out come as the result of my experiences here," Because I do, however, always wants to know something more I've Today, the technicians from the ADAC annoyed. They want to provide me with written information. I wait to see how it goes. vibrating plate, which currently does not shake because of two-stroke oil or weather.

For all the answers I filter the following times:
1) Engine will cool better in
2) Motor runs cool quiet
3) engine has more bums
4) motor running under load multinuclear
5) Long-term effects if 2-stroke oil is again omitted, still nonspecifically It seem two possible mechanisms of action of 2-stroke oil to be identified: a) Old jets are cleaned b) PD elements including needle lubrication c) change in the total viscosity under high pressure due to 2T-oil mixture ...? It would result in the following: * Diesel is better atomized and burned thus better * then cold engine starts better to run harder * engine under load and has more bums I have my little gekönnt almost always the champagne-diesel from Aral. Hence my jets always tip-top are clean if we are to believe the advertising. This then explains the very small effect of 2-stroke oil for my kids. My test suite currently comprises 1500 km and 2 tanks of normal diesel with 2-stroke oil. yes I'm curious how the effects look with summer diesel. Summer diesel was supposed to have a "better" lubricating effect, because the paraffin content is higher. greeting Lutz, who is still waiting for reliable publications on this topic ...

Progress report on the second tank of gas with two-stroke oil additive: I've decided to mix one serving per tank of 125 ml two-stroke oil (ie a lot less than many others). After the first filling the rumble of the diesel engine was gone. Starting characteristics and the volume was unchanged during the trip was also unchanged. After the second tank that was different: now the engine is running properly supple and soft. He is now much quieter while driving. Idling at the lights you can hear the engine almost no more! OK - added:. as quiet as a well-lubricated gasoline engine, it is not, but for a diesel already extremely quiet at full throttle driving on the highway I have found no change. The advantage of this two-stroke-blend is especially comfortable in city traffic and felt well above audible! Even when driving at low speed always nice to the next individual fuel-saving record attempt, the smooth motor behavior at the lower speed range is very pleasant.

Hello,
now I belong to the 2-stroke mixers Had my wife said nothing. She said today, after she was traveling with the A2 yesterday, that the engine was so quiet right after the launch as usual when it is warm when I first Mixing a ratio of 1 to 100 taken in the future and I take 1 in 200 Liqui Moly Semi Synthetic greetings Brutus

My oil costs 2,99 € / liter, of which 0.2 l per tank come in, so cents for 60 minutes. This 0.2L two-stroke oil but 0.2 liters of diesel substitute. The cost also has ct 30th So that makes a surcharge of 30 cents per tank of gas! Where there are extra costs, if you know one cigarette during the period in which one goes empty the tank, smoke less in return? And you realize the effect: I have never really decent warm, he jumps at once. The engine runs more quietly. The oil lubricates the injectors and actually replaces the lubricating effect of the lack of sulfur in diesel. the cetane number is growing by the way. I schonmal explained in this thread. The 2-stroke oil must be very ignition qualities, because it has to burn after the two-stroke engine lubricant for his work in the big-end bearings and crank bearings and the piston rings, immediately and without residue. For this, a ignition is necessary. Proof: Trying times after addition of 2-stroke oil that the diesel smell from the exhaust! You will not smell anything, because it is burned. . That is better than it burns diesel oil, hence the faster starting, hence the more uniform combustion in the cylinder during the power stroke in a 4-stroke diesel I repeat one more thing: Here in Trier sits the test site of the Bundeswehr. It has been tested here over the years, the TDIs from VW to the pain threshold. Did one of these engineers had as a patient and let me tell you a lot. The TDI runs in this example include small tanks, called? In the BW one swears to this drive. Also tested the two-stroke additive and diesel to supposedly give the stock directly into the bunkers of this oil. They know why! Mercedes has recommended its internal CDI employees driving this addition. And a few days ago I heard from an Opel engineer (runs 1.3 CDTI with distributor injection pump) my tenants to have said: If you your car what you want to do good, then tilting 2-T oil in a ratio of 1:200 to . "It seems to seep in everywhere, it makes sense. I would not be surprised if the premium liquors and are nothing more than 2-T oil additiverte diesel.

Thanks for this, I probably should have asked to post in German and ask my German wife to try and translate..... :)) ! However the suggestion seems to be positive and effectively replaces loss of sulphur, improves cetane rating. Ok, will try it when I fill up tomorrow and with a weekly mileage of 400 ish I should soon see any benefits.

I gave it a try today, cant say I've noticed any change in performance but is has taken the diesel rattle away. Will see how it goes for the rest of the tank and report back.

Mark

Well I have been running with 2ST oil additive for 2 months and it does seem to work. I forgot to add oil on my last refill and it quickly became apparent with less smooth and noisier running. What I haven't worked out is if there are any differences between using a cheapo oil from such as Wilkinsons or a premium synthetic. Anyone wit any views/knowledge?

Well I have been running with 2ST oil additive for 2 months and it does seem to work. I forgot to add oil on my last refill and it quickly became apparent with less smooth and noisier running. What I haven't worked out is if there are any differences between using a cheapo oil from such as Wilkinsons or a premium synthetic. Anyone wit any views/knowledge?

I did the same on my last full up. Within 20 miles I noticed it running rougher.

J

Back