A2 TDI90 2004 Engine Ref ATL. Won't Start

David113

Hello. My starting problem is that the engine will turn over but take ages to 'catch'. Afterwards it will run normally. The only fault codes generated diagnosed an engine temp sensor problem and a No 1 glowplug fault so I swapped the temp sensor and all was well. Then after a day of starting well, it happened again. I changed all three glowplugs yesterday and engine started immediately so I ran it up to temp on a test run - again, all well - allowed it to cool down then off shopping, again, all well. Left overnight last night, tried to start this morning at 6deg c, and wouldn't vatch, same as before. Put VAGCOM on it just now and there are no fault codes or anything else anywhere. It will eventually start by flooring the accelerator pedal which is painful. Might be that the throttle body might need a clean as well as the EGR valve. When it fires up, it runs fine so fuel and air are getting to where it matters. Just disconnected battery to clear ECU and generate some fault codes. It's done 107k miles and had a cam sensor changed at about 60k Recent full service at 104.5k inc all filters. So, if this brings back any happy memories out there, any assistance would be very welcome. Thank you.

Pleased to report that problem solved. The fuel filter housing was leaking leaving a pool of diesel beneath rear n/s passenger door. Fuel had been draining out of the fuel line to the engine when parked so had to be pumped to the engine, hence cranking. New filter £70, mechanic to fit £30. Now starts first time every time. Good for another 100,000 miles I hope! Thanks to all for help received.

Back