Best or Worst Paint Touch Up Kits & Ratings

jonbad

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to paint touch up kits and what people have found with them. I suggest following the following questions when rating the paint touch up kit.

• Price (low £1-5 medium £6-10 high £10+)
  • Contents (just a pot of paint or several applicators, finishes, scratch removers/cleaners etc.)
  • Paint colour (a very good cannot see it match, or rubbish and way off)

Please rate 1-10 for each of the above criteria, 10 being excellent and 1 being bad and state the colour you were trying to match as well as the named colour of the product, e.g. Audi code: LY7R & Halfords touch up kit: Crystal Blue.

On the subject of the last one, that's the reason I ask as I'd like to know which is the best kit for minor scuffs/stone chips for Audi LY7R!

Halfords is fine. I have their ebony black kit for our car and I really like the nib applicator for ease of use. It's about a tenner for the kit with primeer, colour and lacquer pens.Theres a couple of wee tools with it but I dont really use anything other than the base colour. The match is good if you shake it well and keep it warm (pocket is a good trick prior to working with it)

Audi's own touch up kit is a little more tricky to use as the brush isnt precise enough. I dont use this; choosing a cocktail stick with the point softened instead.

paints4u.co.uk do a bespoke matching service for any paint code you can provide and you can buy a pack of professional applicators which are quite expensive but also excellent to use.

Crystal Blue is that the light blue ? one thing we find at work is that all silver/light type colours that you need a very good colour match and NO laquer as when you add the clear it goes black/dark and what would start out as a good colour match turns off colour very quickly.

Nice touch with the cocktail stick M thats a trick i use to use works a treat and you get just the right amount on the end

Phil

Crystal Blue is that the light blue ?

Yes, it's the light blue though I read on Halfords own website that it covers a couple of different hues, which in my opinion instantly raises the question of whether it's a good match for mine... or the other paint code?! Sure enough, the review someone has left on Halfords own website says the kit is good, but the colour match is several shades darker than their paint - which I believe would be the case for me too hence why I've held off from buying a touch up kit thus far.

Back