Used car valuations

murdo

Admin Team
Scotland
The following link is to CAP one of the 'industry standard' bibles for car valuations.

https://www.capconnect.co.uk/consumervalues/cap.aspx

Edit February 2013:

The free CAP link is no longer valid, I have replaced this with their 'pay' site. CAP is one of the most accurate available. For £3.95 you can have a valuation adjusted for mileage - not sure if you can factor in spec for that fee or not?

Before you reach for the credit card, try the link below:

This is the best I've found of the free sites. More realistic than the more popular valuation sites.

http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/motoring/used-car-prices/Audi/A2+(2000-04)/

For a more accurate idea of A2 prices, start with the above, then if you post your car details on the site, myself or one of the other regulars who keep an eye on the A2 market can provide an educated guesstimate for you.

Cheers,

Murdo

Last edited:
Great post.

Mine is trade in £1700 so that means private sale of £2700 , If i ever did sell my A2 ( which im not ) how much can i add on with the new alloys and Votex kit ?

Just curious

How much can i add on with the new alloys and Votex kit?

Probably very little. The vortex kit is something which some people desire, though others actively wouldn't want it. Options like cruise and Bose might not be something some people are particularly bothered about, but no one would not want them. The vortex kit is a taste thing, as are the alloys, really. Many people wish to buy an A2 with original alloys, and if not they'll either want to choose their own wheels or they'll not care one way or another. The fact that your alloys are probably still mint does, of course, count in its favour.
The leather interior you're planning is another matter, though. Get that done, and the value of your A2 will definitely go up somewhat.

Tom

^^^^^^^^^^^

As a guide I would say you could add nothing for the wheels or bodykit......My reasoning is the car needs the wheels, and the bodykit is a pure taste thing (even thought I'm a very big fan of the bodykit). You may even find prospective buyers wanting to knock the price down because they want the car without the bodykit and want the original 15", 16" or 17" rims.

That said, a car is worth whatever someone wants to pay to take on ownership, and our particular cars are very sought after at the moment, and a well cared for car with everything working as it should will sell for good money.

For insurance purposes, with the options I have, I value my A2 at 9K.

Cheers

Jeff

9k wow , if you dont mind me asking how much insurance do you pay ?

To be honest value of the car is only for when you sell your car, i love my A2 and does not really bother me if its worth £1 or £10k , I am keeping it and this car has to be the longest car i have ever owned , 1 year !!!! lol I have had 28 cars , YES 28 lol.

Mustangowner , your car is worth £9k all day long stunning car in the flesh and your interior especially with the steering wheel gives it that modern look.

I have a few plans for mine like the full interior retrim and just to get all the little bits done to make that big difference. All this will take time , but im in no rush as this car is going to be with me for a long time . :)

To be honest value of the car is only for when you sell your car,

Until some ****** drives into the back of it and writes it off (as happened to my last car). Whereupon I found that the insurance company and I had very different ideas about what it was worth (they would only give me half Parker's value despite me complaining at length). That's why I'm considering Flex's Agreed Value insurance. On the other hand, if you search Google for Adrian Flex & Agreed Value the results are a bit worrying.

Any idea how much my tdi se 90 with 35k on the clock.All audi sh apart from last two which were done by votex at Congelton.Metalic blue with climate,audi symphony six cd head unit ,electric front windows,mirrors.The car has had one previous owner plus demo.It has had the cambelt changed at 29k .There is a little bit of wear showing on the 16in alloys but overall in exellent condition.Possibly thinking of selling. Any info would be appreciated.

Any idea how much my tdi se 90 with 35k on the clock.All audi sh apart from last two which were done by votex at Congelton.Metalic blue with climate,audi symphony six cd head unit ,electric front windows,mirrors.The car has had one previous owner plus demo.It has had the cambelt changed at 29k .There is a little bit of wear showing on the 16in alloys but overall in exellent condition.Possibly thinking of selling. Any info would be appreciated.

I'll pay you 3500 for that all day long! Seriously though - essential detail missing is the cars age. Tell us that and you will have a better chance of an appraisal .

Checked OP profile. It's an 04 model. Unless there is spec or the car is incredibly special - there are few A2's alive worth 7 grand in a UK private sale. If this 35k mile rarity is minted - maybe not far off that - but 6 is more realistic.

Last edited:
Agreed. £6k is about right if its spec is fairly standard. If it's got leather, OpenSky, Bose and all the toys, you'd be looking at more like £7k.

Tom

The original link no longer works but I had a gander on Parkers with entertaining results. Our 2 cars valuations:

2004/53 plate Volvo S40 T5 SE 230bhp (upgraded to SE sport spec), sunroof, winter pack etc. 90k ~ £2,900
2003/53 plate Audi A2 TDi (75) SE with Opensky, Winter Pack, Cruise etc. 130k ~ £3,800

Very pleased that the Audi's only lost circa. £1,000 in value since I bought it in 2008. The Volvo, on the other hand, has erm...... become worth 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps. I still love them both though ;-)

Hi, we're thinking about selling our A2 1.6 FSi SE as we were originally waiting for the new model that got cancelled. Prices seem to be all over the place depending on where you look so how much should we realistically expect for this car in Akoya Silver, 68k miles, recent cambelt, April 2004 on an 04 plate? It has a Concert radio with 6-CD autochanger and (wait for it) cassette too, climate control, cruise control and Open Sky. The paintwork is spotless. We've had it for six and a half years and we're really not sure whether to keep it or not. We were offered £2250 as a trade-in against a Mercedes A180 which we declined in a fit of pique.

A2 prices are indeed a bit all-over-the-place at the moment. Valuing an FSI is particularly tricky, as your market is quite small.
I've seen nice FSIs be up for sale for months and months and months; the seller knows they've got something lovely and aren't willing to let it go for a bargain price, but many buyers simply won't consider an A2 built around that particular engine, irrespective of spec', history and condition. Quite simply, a majority of people looking to buy an A2 these days will only consider a TDI.

If it's an absolute beauty in superb condition with a few bits of nice spec' (which sounds like the case), then you're looking towards the higher prices you'll find on AutoTrader. However, it'll require a well-written advert and a very specific buyer - be prepared to be patient. If you offer it at a mid-range price and it's as good as you describe, then you may find that you shift it very quickly.

Tom

Are we still taking the WiseBuyer's Guide as quite accurate? I ask as this is what came out for my car and it seems optimistic:

Retail:£4,261

Private Good:£3,361
Private Average:£2,771
Private Poor:£2,281
Part Exchange:£3,021
Trade:£2,831

I just cannot see me getting 3k in trade in! In terms of private, I'd say my car was fairly in the average band but I'd feel uncomfortable asking for more than £2500

Cheers

Hi Sam, its not as accurate as the industry guides but it is better than some publications and will adjust for mileage without a fee which others don't.

It needs some interpretation and tailoring to the specific car - and A2 prices recently have taken quite a hit and I'm not really sure why. Sellers I have spoken with have struggled to realise what I'd consider prety fair prices for their cars and have had to wait a good while plus soften the asking price to secure a buyer.

It's likely that the main factor is the increasingly niche market and the age our wee pals are approaching now. Another aspect could be the availability of some nice brand new cars with very attractive finance deals.

Why buy a ten year old car for £3000 when a small deposit and under a hundred quid a month gets you one out of the wrapper?

But if you reckon 2500 for your car, and this guide tells you 2700 in a private sale at average condition, then I think that's a fair estimate?

But if you reckon 2500 for your car, and this guide tells you 2700 in a private sale at average condition, then I think that's a fair estimate?

I agree Murdo, in fact checking a few used car sites to see what's already out there suggests to me as high as 2900 wouldn't be unreasonable. Won't be able to afford selling anytime soon anyway, but I must admit to having had a new car itch recently...

Cheers

Is it me or is the 1.4 Sport petrol a lot rarer than the other models . Always SE , FSI and TDI for sale but hardly no Sport petrols ? Would love to know the reason for this .

Back