Koni FSD cheaper alternative- Monroe Reflex shocks

Pompeydave

A2OC Donor
Hi all, I've been debating which suspension upgrade to go with for my 1.4tdi in two previous threads:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?18428-Going-for-the-full-Koni-FSD-suspension-upgrade-any-parts-missing-off-this-list&highlight=suspension

and:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?18208-Very-tired-suspension-and-possibly-steering&highlight=suspension

As my budget is smaller than a very small thing, I've taken a punt on Monroe Reflex shocks all round. Nuttinnew has tried this (http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?13993-Monroe-Reflex-shock-absorbers&highlight=monroe) with apparently quite good results.

Crucially, at £239.50 delivered inc vat, they are way cheaper than Koni's. So, is that because they're not as good? Really don't know, but I'm giving it a go. I've also bought new Meyle droplinks, and a complete suspension rebuild kit from the following list:

Meyle droplinks (£39.99 for a pair from a supplier on ebay).

8Z0 412 301 - front bump stop (2 pieces) £10.97 + vat each
6Q0 512 131 B - rear bump stop (2 pieces) £9.81 + vat each
6 N0 412 249 C - strut bearing (2 pieces) £11.88 + vat each

8Z0 511 149 A - rear, bottom spring yellow PUR rubber seat (2 pieces) £4.79 + vat each
1J0 512 149 B - rear, top spring black hard-rubber seat (2 pieces) £2.88 + vat each
6N0 413 175 A - dust protection for the front damper piston rod (2 pieces) £6.68 + vat each
1J0 513 425 A - dust protection tube for the rear damper piston rod (2 pieces) £4.96 + vat each

N 019 530 3 - screw (6 pieces) £1. 41 + vat each
N 101 064 02 - nut (4 pieces) £0.84 + vat each
N 101 389 02 - screw (4 pieces) Supersedes to WHT005480 £0.68 + vat each
N 102 078 03 - screw (4 pieces) Supersedes to N10207804 £1.95 + vat each
N 102 613 10 - nut (2 pieces) £0.30 + vat each
N 102 861 10 - nut (2 pieces) £0.48 + vat each
N 104 018 01 - nut (2 pieces) £1.58 + vat each
N 905 173 02 - screw (2 pieces) Supersedes to N90517304 £1.19 + vat each
N 906 484 02 - screw (4 pieces) £1.72 + vat each
N 909 081 01 - nut (2 pieces) Supersedes to N90908102 £1.99 +vat each

I'm going to stick with the original SE flavour springs front and rear, but my main problem I'm struggling with is a fitting guide in english. Schnelletrecker posted a link to this Koni FSD fitting guide but it's in German-

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=fahrwerk%20tauschen%20am%20audi%20a2&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.a2oc.net%2Fforum%2Fattachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D2978%26d%3D1236198218&ei=Dr2fT_uOHMrl4QT9u-nBAw&usg=AFQjCNHVMFcWlDuCrSbveGshJDxGW_xIOQ&cad=rja

Is there an english version posted anywhere?

Last edited:
Wonder if the Monroe shocks have the peculiar front lifting effect that the FSDs impart?

Not sure, but I think that's caused by different spring heights? If I'm correct on that, there shouldn't be any change as I'm re-using the original springs.

I'll measure ride height before and after, and compare the strut length of the original v the Monroe and report back...

The Koni's are beautiful to behold! I got mine for £428, sent. That included the rears .... They look so good with the gold finish, it is such a pity you can't see them at all times! Sometimes it is better to go for the very best ... if you take off the £239 for the Munroe's, the Koni's are £190 extra! However, it's your call ....

...They look so good with the gold finish, it is such a pity you can't see them at all times!....

err... that's before you fit them and use them. Mine are 5 years old, the gold finish is starting to flake at places. I really don't want to show it! Unless I have KW Inox line coilovers, which seems to really resist the corrosion.

It was monroe who supplies Audi the original Shocks for the sport #just sayin

anyway still no comparison to FSD's

Update time. Fitted the Monroe Reflex's all round over two days last week. It took a whole day to do the offside front. It was a nightmare just getting to the three bolts that hold the strut in place at the top as so many bits needed removing to gain access. Anyway, got there in the end and armed with the experience of how to do it the nearside front and both rears were done on the second day. I added new Meyle droplinks at the same time.

The result- brilliant, What a difference! The crashy feel of the OE suspension has been replaced by a comfortable firmness when going over bumps. When cornering there is now very little body roll and a surefootedness that was completely absent before. I've only done 10 miles on it so far, so it will probably improve still further as it settles down over the first couple of hundred miles.

What I really need now is for someone who has experience of the Koni FSD feel to drive mine to see if there is any difference. I'll try to get to one of the upcoming socials to see if someone will give it a try.

One other thing to mention is that the list of replacement parts at the beginning of this thread is largely overkill. For future reference, here's what I actually needed to replace:

Parts you DO need:

8Z0 412 301 - front bump stop (2 pieces) £10.97 + vat each - the black plastic part of mine were split.

6 N0 412 249 C - strut bearing (2 pieces) £11.88 + vat each- the originals broke apart as the strut was being taken apart.

6Q0 512 131 B - rear bump stop (2 pieces) £9.81 + vat each- these are orange foam and had split away from the black plastic anti-dust tube.

N 102 078 03 - screw (4 pieces) Supersedes to N10207804 £1.95 + vat each ***note- the original list recommends 4 of these- you only need 2 as it's the bottom front shock bolt and there's only one for each front shock***
N 101 064 02 - nut (4 pieces) £0.84 + vat each- the nuts for the above bolts.***again, the original list recommends 4 of these- you only need 2***

N 019 530 3 - screw (6 pieces) £1. 41 + vat each- these are the front strut top mount bolts- worth replacing as the old ones were a little corroded. You don't HAVE to replace these but if you're putting the new strut back in on your own as I did it's tricky to hold the strut in place with one hand from underneath and get the first couple of bolts in from above with the other. New bolts just went in easier.

N 905 173 02 - screw (2 pieces) Supersedes to N90517304 £1.19 + vat each- rear shock bottom bolt.
N 102 613 10 - nut (2 pieces) £0.30 + vat each- nuts for the above.

8Z0 511 149 A - rear, bottom spring yellow PUR rubber seat (2 pieces) £4.79 + vat each ***only if you're replacing the rear springs***

1J0 512 149 B - rear, top spring black hard-rubber seat (2 pieces) £2.88 + vat each ***only if you're replacing the rear springs***

And here are the bits that you don't need:

1J0 513 425 A - dust protection tube for the rear damper piston rod (2 pieces) £4.96 + vat each

6N0 413 175 A - dust protection bellows for the front damper piston rod (2 pieces) £6.68 + vat each

N 906 484 02 - screw (4 pieces) £1.72 + vat each - the 2 x 2 top mounting rear shock bolts- they're protected from corrosion by the plastic arch liner so don't need replacing.

Unidentified parts from the list:

N 101 389 02 - screw (4 pieces) Supersedes to WHT005480 £0.68 + vat each- these were not only not used, I couldn't find them on what I was taking them off!
N 104 018 01 - nut (2 pieces) £1.58 + vat each- as above.
N 909 081 01 - nut (2 pieces) Supersedes to N90908102 £1.99 +vat each- as above.
N 102 861 10 - nut (2 pieces) £0.48 + vat each- as above.

Can anyone out there identify these four parts?

Last edited:
Which shock did you go for the normal, sport or heavy ?

I went for E4998 at the front which is the only option available and is described as 'Sporty Ride, Heavy Duty', and E1309 at the rear which is the 'Sporty ride'. I used the original SE springs all round.

By the way, the ride height is identical front and rear to that with the OE suspension, so none of the raised front end problems that need correcting with FSD's. Whether they're not as good as the Koni's is a moot point. The technology used appears to be identical in both flavours, just branded and priced differently....

Great posts Dave, thanks for the update - perhaps someone in the Portsmouth area with FSDs could bob in to see Dave and do a direct comparison? Anyone up for it?

This is a great post, thanks for starting Dave.

I need to do something about my shocks but the FSD price of £400+ was making my procrastinate. And then there's labour as I couldn't do this myself.

The Monroe price gives me hope (especially after the dealer price for fitting OEMs of £745 all in).

I'd too be interested in the comparison.

Has anyone fitted new OEMs (non-sport) to an older car?

super, will save up and get a load of stuff together and run the "family pool car" for a bit
mine needs shocks and roll bar bushes, droplinks, disc & pads & drums and intercooler and diesel fuel filter !
+ plus anything else I discover when taking it apart !! :D

Interesting on the web look up the part numbers are identical to the polo
The front E4998 is the same for the ibiza, but the E1309 are not listed so they are different in someway

Last edited:
I think the Reflexes are specifically designed for the suspension layout that the A2 shares with other VAG vehicles, hence they're the correct length at the front. I've read elsewhere on other threads that the Koni FSD's specified for the A2 weren't designed for our car, they're just the nearest to the OEM spec that Koni make. Also, Monroe make a lot of the OEM stuff for Audi in the first place, so they have A2 experience from day one.

I'm not saying these are better than FSD's, just that it appears they're a better fit....

Back