Wiper motor arm/spindle came off

Per

Hi all,

Suddenly my wipers stopped working and I could hear knocking loud noise from it's motor. Opened the bonnet and found the swivel arm out of position. I managed to fit the bolt back in the hole of the arm that turns the wiper but it took only a couple of seconds for it to jump oout of position.

I attach a picture here wiper motor arm loose.jpg

Any suggestions on how to repair this ?

Cheers,
Per

hard to tell from your photo - there appears to be a sharp edge and I wonder if the spindle has sheared off- this should be obvious though.
If the spindle is intact then fixing the linkage back on the spindle is very difficult with the linkage in place and really it should be done with the wiper motor and linkage removed from the car.
It is possible with a very thin 17mm spanner to set tighten the nut back onto the spindle but (on a RHD car) the wiper motor needs to be stopped with the blade at its maximum distance from the parked position - v. tricky to guess.
I think you need to take out the motor / linkage assembly and then it's an easy assembly job.
Allow 3 hours for removal and replacement

Time to fix it...better picture here !

hard to tell from your photo - there appears to be a sharp edge and I wonder if the spindle has sheared off- this should be obvious though.
If the spindle is intact then fixing the linkage back on the spindle is very difficult with the linkage in place and really it should be done with the wiper motor and linkage removed from the car.
It is possible with a very thin 17mm spanner to set tighten the nut back onto the spindle but (on a RHD car) the wiper motor needs to be stopped with the blade at its maximum distance from the parked position - v. tricky to guess.
I think you need to take out the motor / linkage assembly and then it's an easy assembly job.
Allow 3 hours for removal and replacement

Thanks for reply !

Now I've been driving without wiper for a couple of weeks...

The spindle is intact as you can see. And I am able to acces the end with the faulty "bolt" and hopefuly able to remove it. However, what shall I replace it with. Any ideas ? Maybe there are these kind of rivets/bults are easily replacable if accessed ? Not too keen on 3-4 hours workshopbill if not really necessary.

Cheers
/ PerOptimized.jpg

if you're able to remove faulty "bolt", tap threads on the end and put on a nylon locknut M6 then perhaps that would do the trick.
Otherwise you'll need another wiper arm linkage - I can see now that it's not the attachment onto the motor thats broken. However, I would wonder whether the linkage has broken because of a sticking spindle on a the end of the linkage - does the wiper arm move freely?

Pete

Back