3L slow gear help - req from Italy

Hi guys i'm a new forum 'entry' and i need you expert help me with some gear issue with my 1.2 tdi.
Last months exiting from higwa in 5th gear the car did bot shift in lower gear and stopped (obviously).
Only N was possible.
So i take to the garage, short story i spend 1000 euro but the car now is not fixed yet.
The mechanic change:
Cluth actuator,pressure sensor, changed tubes rubber seals,engine rpm sensor, some tubes...
Realigned gears, checked oil pressure (he told me pressure ok, unscrewing the accumulator the oil level raises).
Situation now:
-start the car, the pump does not stop running
-from starting position to R i have to wait something like 10sec before the R stop blinking and gear in engaged
- same for D, after 10-20sec the display show me the gear
- in auto mode the car have problem lowering gear from 2nd to 1 and the car stall
- in sequential mode seems fine i tried only 1-2-3 and 3-2-1 in a parking slot
- no sign of oil leak

Any tips or checks i can do do to understand what the problem is?
I was thinking at this point to go for the vagcom, i like the car but too much workshop dependent (i use to play with old 4wd car with no-electronics and i like it, with this car seems impossible to do anything if you do not have the sw, except change brake pad and ligh bulbs..).

Many thanks and sorry for the long post

I would replace the hydraulic accumulator as a first step. The VAG diagnostic system (and VAG COM) is incapable of diagnosing a failing or even failed accumulator. The problem is that the nitrogen leaks away and eventually there is so little pressure in reserve. You will need to change it eventually anyway, so even if it's not the problem, you will have a replacement.

RAB

Hi RAB,
Thanks for the advice, i will change the accumulator (not a big cost by the way) and let the forum know.
Any specific suggestion for the replacement or is a straight operation (unscrew the old one and put in the new one)?
About VAG, well of course it is not able to solve all the problem, but for a couple of problem i had last years with engine sensors probably ii could have been able to substitute by myself and make some economy.
Thanks and ciao

There is quick way of checking the accumulator. Switch on the ignition and, without the engine running, see how many gear changes you can make before the pump re-starts. Only one could indicate a failing accumulator.

To change the accumulator, disconnect the hydraulic module electrically, loosen the accumulator half a turn (24mm spanner), wait until the level in the reservoir reaches a maximum and then replace the accumulator. Reconnect the hydraulic module and that's it.

VCDS (vag-com) is really essential for a 1.2 and will soon pay for itself through doing a gearbox/clutch basic setting every other service (as required) alone.

RAB

Hi everybody,
just an update on the situation here about my gearbox issue.
Pressure accumulator arrived and substituted.
I must say that now i can change the gears when car is off (sequential mode) and before i was not able, so really the accumular had lost some gas in the past.
Unluckly still i have the problem with the gear.
So, when i put the key into the dash the pump start pumping and do not stop.
Also when the car is running does not stop,while if i remember correctly before the pump stopped after a while.
Seem to me that the pump continue working because is not able to put in the correct pressure the lines..
No sign of leaks, so i was wondering: maybe an internal 'short' of the pump? Maybe due to old seals?
Maybe a seal kit (i found on e-bay) can do the job and save me a new pump set (quoted about 800-900euro+vat)?
Any suggestion?

The pump should start as soon as you open the drivers door. How do you know that it runs continuously when the car is running? You cannot hear it over the sound of the engine - if you can something is wrong. Is the pressure transducer working correctly?

RAB

Hi RAB,
well the pump continue running while i have the key on but car is not fired up.
if i turn on the car, obviously i cannot hear the pump from inside, but if i go out and place my ear near the bonnet i can hear.
Also i know because i tried the car in the parking area without the bonnet..and without bonnet you can clearly hear the sound and check the pump running by touching it.
The pressure transducer was the first think the mechanic replaced, as the old was giving erratic readings according the car diagnostic.

It's in these situations that VCDS is very useful! What happens if you put the old accumulator back in place? Have you checked the hydraulic fluid level? Since the pressure transducer has been replaced, I would check that it is connected/working correctly.

RAB

Back