Powerflex Wishbone Bushes

d4v1d sm4rt

A2OC Donor
Further to my previous posts I discovered that Powerflex didnt actually make any wishbone bushes for the A2 and actually wrongly advised me to use the ones for a Polo. I called to complain about this saying i had my car in bits and could not use it and they very kindly said for me to bring my old bits in and they would see what they could do. I took the bits in and they measured all the bushes i had and made a prototype kit up for me to try which i plan to fit at the weekend. They have also released a lower engine stabiliser bush as well which should help with fractured exhaust front pipes too ( i am on my third one!) I am also giving them my old ARB so they can match some bushes for that too.

I will keep you all posted on how the fittment and test go.

I wondered how may members would be interested in a Powerflex kit if one was produced?

I would be interested as I was going to buy the polo kit as it said it was for an a2 also--- so thanks for the heads up

And another! I have just come on the forum to check this very issue with a view to ordering teh bushes today so will hold off a few days.

Excellent news.

Would be really good if they also looked at the rubber for the dog bone for a TDI

THANKS

A2O2

Yes i have a bush for the large section of the lower engine stabiliser and will be trying that too, i will ask them for a price for when it is released. There is concern that it may transmit vibration from the engine at rest as the standard bush is designed to be rather free floating in that respect
just fitted the lower engine stabiliser dog bone and there is no real excess noise that i can hear so i am happy with that. It does seem to be a bit more vibration at rest though.

Last edited:
wouldn't replacing the bush in the dog bone with polyurethane transmit more vibration to the chassis? ARB bush is fine as it won't transmit extra vibration, but wishbone, sub frame bushings, engine mounts will add extra stiffness.

yes i think there is a theoretical tradeoff here, but it remains to be seen how much vibration is transmitted if any...
I also think that i would rather have my engines power going down to the road rather than into compressing a squidgy bush so i am expecting a bit sharper pickup right off the bottom

All the bushes are now fitted

Just finished fitting the bushes ( front arm pivot, rear donut and anti roll bar bushes )

Cured the wandering and the car drives great now, doesnt seem harsh or noisier either

Last edited:
I considered doing this when I had my dog bone replaced a few months ago. I decided against it as I didn't want the car to vibrate while waiting at red lights, in traffic jams, etc. However, I'd be interested to hear about your experiences.

Cheers,

Tom

I considered doing this when I had my dog bone replaced a few months ago. I decided against it as I didn't want the car to vibrate while waiting at red lights, in traffic jams, etc. However, I'd be interested to hear about your experiences.

Cheers,

Tom

it seems fine, not noisier at all, but it does seem to vibrate a bit more at idle

Last edited:
Thanks very much david --- do you know when they are able to supply kits? or who to talk to there? i have wander when braking hard and also increased tyre wear on the iner edges and i'm convinced its soft bushes, allthough i do expect some from the campber increase as its on lowering springs.
cheers mike

...i have wander when braking hard and also increased tyre wear on the iner edges and i'm convinced its soft bushes, allthough i do expect some from the campber increase as its on lowering springs....

Since I have lowered my car with Eibach springs, it is plain obvious the front inner edges wear a LOT more. I've never had uneven wear before and all my bushes are still original rubber. I did drove at the Nurburgring with this set of tyres and spring but I've done more track days with previous sets of tyres and not one uneven wear until lowered.

On the other hand, anyone knows what's the price comparison against OE buses on the other ones? The ARB is well documented but if the OE bushes on the other items lasted 10 years, would the price justify?

Back