Audi 1.2TDI (3L) gearbox problem

Dear all,

I have a 1.2TDI (3L) and since 3 days ago I have a problem related to the gearbox: sometimes when I to want to go to reverse gear it doesn't work, the clutch stays open and the engine just idles, it's like being on neutral (in fact that's the indication I have in the dashboard, i.e. 'N'). Other times it just works fine. Otherwise the gearbox works OK (either in automatic or tiptronic)
Also, but only yesterday, after less than a kilometer from starting the car, I had a blip warning sound and the dashboard showed up an oil "jar" with the word 'sensor' for a few minutes and then it disappeared (this happened twice during the day). Today I had no warnings but the gearbox failed sometimes to go to reverse.
Once, having the gear selector in reverse (but with the before mentioned problem, i.e. 'N' showing up), by slightly pushing the gear selector in the direction to parking position (S), the gearbox would indeed go to reverse (I could clearly hear it).
I have read here quite a few posts related to gearbox problems (with 3L version) and I'm aware there can be many different reasons for.
Can any of you "quickly" point the probable problem? Do you think the problem is probably related to oil level or low pressure in the hydraulic system or do you think it's something related to the need of a gearbox calibration / electronic gear selector switch?
Thank you very much for you help.

Best regards,
Miguel

When was your last clutch/bearbox basic setting? It should be done every other service (30,000km). If it was a hydraulic problem, it would not just be reverse that is affected.

RAB

In fact I don't know, I bought the car only a few months ago with 98k km. Maybe they didn't do any basic settings at 90k (I'm inclined to think so). The fact that the service records are written in German doesn't make it easy neither to find out (I don't speak German at all). So do you think this problem symptom(s) indicates the need for a clutch/gearbox basic settings?
Do you have an idea how much this would cost to be done in a Audi garage?
Thank you RAB.

It should not be more than an hour's work. It would be the first thing to check. You could do it yourself with VCDS (vag-com), which is really essential anyway with a 1.2.

RAB

post the records in German, or go to your dealer with the VIN - they can print out the complete service history. provided, of course, it was done by Audi...

- Bret

Thanks for your help RAB and bretti_kivi. I think I'm going to have an Audi garage to do the job, I'm only "used" to fix small problems in cars and I have no experience with a VCDS although I might end up buying one (thanks for the advice RAB).
The latest services were done in a Seat garage (by the previous owner) and I'll post some photos once I have more time. From what I can see, the last 'long service' was done around 67k.

Here are the photos of the latest services. IMG_5283.JPGIMG_5285.JPGIMG_5287.JPGIMG_5289.JPG
Are the photos helpful? Thanks.

Miguel

It's quite possible that a gearbox basic setting has never been done. My Lupo 3L that I bought new has no record of a basic setting when it was serviced by VW and it should have done as it is required every other service. It probably went at least six years without - as you can judge there is not much clutch wear on a 3L!

RAB

OK, I will then have it done soon (at Audi), and hopefully the problem will go away. Good to know that the clutch wears very little!
Thank you again for your help.

Best regards,
Miguel

So should I take it that the clutch should be set at every 30,000km interval service (30, 60, 90 and so on?).
When my car got a big service last year I paid for a 90,000km service as I was not sure what had been done and when and now I am getting a clicking noise and it is taking time to find reverse.
All other gears work normally. Also reverse seems to be found more quickly on a warm engine.
Would this suggest that a basic setting was not done?
I have emailed the dealer to ask them to clarify whether it was done.

What price does a dealer charge for a basic setting in the UK? It is knee deep snow and -10c to -15c here and so I do not fancy the job at the moment.

Do you think that as it was such a big service I should take it up with them and demand it be done if they can not show that it was?

John

Correct, every 30,000km or sooner, if necessary.

It's not necessarily a sign that a basic setting needs doing. With the ignition on and engine off, how many gear changes can you get in tiptronic mode before the pump restarts? When was your accumulator last changed. Have you checked the hydraulic oil level?

Don't know what a dealer charges as I've never had it done to my knowledge, except when the local Audi garage replaced the A2 clutch; when they'd done it, it was left in neutral with the ignition off, so I had to do it again myself. As it should be done every other service, it should be marked in the service book. I have no such record from the days when I had my Lupo serviced by my local VW agent. I soon realised that the only way of getting things done properly was to do it myself!

How many 1.2's are there in Norway? Chances are that they've never seen one before and wouldn't know what to do.

RAB

There are at least 4 A2 1.2's in the local area and a couple of Lupo's too and I have asked the dealer specifically if it was done. The paperwork for the service lists lots of checks but nothing about a basic setting.
I have no idea about the accumulator but I tried the changes in tiptronic several months ago and got higher than the minimum suggested, in the thread I was reading, before the pump started again (If I remember well it was over 8).
Is the hydraulic bottle shared with the power steering?

Is it essential to use original VW hydraulic oil, or is it like oil that must meet a certain specification?

I think I'll double check the tiptronic changes with engine off and then check the fluid level.

I have only experienced issues in selecting reverse not with any of the other gear changes and other than struggling to find reverse the car has shown no other symptoms associated with the accumulator. Also a scan of the electronics reveals no warnings on the transmission. From previous discussions it seems as though the accumulator is fine and so hopefully it could just be a low fluid related problem. On a related is there an easy way to check the gearbox oil level on this gearbox (I guess it has never been done)?

John

I take it that to accurately read the level of hydraulic oil you need to loosen the accumulator?
Does this require a basic setting to be completed afterwards?

I visited the dealer today as they were confused by my email asking them to confirm when the last basic setting was done.
They have agreed that as there is nothing noted on the paperwork from the service that they will redo the basic setting and I have booked the car in as soon as they could to do this.
In -5c after being cold all night and before the engine is started the tiptronic was managing 3 changes between pumping but after half an hour of driving and a little while to settle in a warmer indoor car park it was doing 5-6 between pump activations.
So hopefully all will be good after a basic setting.

There is no pumping when trying to enter reverse but rather an electronic "click".

As the basic setting is booked I would rather not do much more until after this is complete but I think that but for the cold the accumulator is fine.

For reference, can the accumulator be changed as easily as it would appear to by simply unscrewing it, cleaning the flange it screws against putting on a new washer and screwing in a new accumulator?

John,

The reverse gear problem may be due to a dodgy switch on the gear change.

The accumulator can be changed easily as described. No basic setting required after checking the oil level. The power steering oil and hydraulic system oil are separate. You should use only VAG steering fluid. There was originally a different oil used but this is no longer available as far as I know.

RAB

To check the gearbox oil level, remove the oil filler plug (on the end of the gearbox) and with a clean finger or similar you should find that the oil is just below the filler plug. You will also find that the oil is very clean due to the gearbox making perfect gear changes every time!

RAB

Thanks for the excellent advice RAB!
Is the filler plug accessible without having the car in the air?
I have looked through the info on ELSA and can not find a clear diagram/instruction for the process of checking the gearbox oil.

The scan shows no issues with the reversing sensor switch. If it was a faulty switch wouldn't it be logged?
Also the car makes a clicking noise and the "R" light flashes on the dash. This suggests that the car realises that the lever is in the "R" position.

Sorry for being a bit dense here... I am just trying to avoid doing anything unnecessary/breaking anything due to working on the car whist it is all cold soaked.

John

You'll have to remove the undertray, so it will be up in the air, given the ground clearance. The plug is on the end of the gearbox, towards the front of the car if I remember correctly.

You would expect a faulty switch to be logged but should there be a clicking noise and the R shouldn't flash, if that's what it's doing? So is the switch beginning to fail?

RAB

I am not sure about the switch. Would a failure normally register as reverse being selected on the instrument cluster but not engaging?
Is the switch much more work than the brake switch?
Is the switch part number: 8Z0 971 697?
If so it seems to be a very expensive microswitch from Audi.

I am not so sure what the problem is but I think that doing the basic setting first may be helpful.

It has been behaving perfectly again today and so I am a little unsure as to what the cause is. But then again it is an almost tropical -3c now.

John

I would have thought that reverse would be selected and indicated but the indication should not flash but give a steady readout. There shouldn't be any audible sound either, certainly not with the engine running. It would be more work than the brake switch. Not sure of the part no. as I don't have Etka with me at the moment.

RAB

Back