Removing Lower Tailgate Trim

A2_Mario

I need to remove the tailgate trim to change the license plate light housing.

How do you get it off? I've tried tugging at it and it doesn't budge.

See thread http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...ailgate-exterior-trim&highlight=tailgate+bulb

I followed this a couple of weeks ago and it proved mighty useful. One thing to add is that I made up a wooden 'wedge' that I could push between the inside of the boot and the trim at the start of removal. This helped the first clip to 'pop' off (with a bit of a frightening bang) which then allows you to get your hand in and ease the others out.

If memory serves me I started from the drivers side near to one of the clips. The clip locations can be seen from the photo in reply 13 of this thread http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?15592-Rear-Hatch-Interior-Panel/page2

I used a decent sized piece, say 2" by 1", and been soft wood it didn't mark or damage the trim or paint.

Hope it helps,

Andy B

Thanks Andy.

Do you really need to remove the license plate trim too? I was hoping that by removing the inner trim I could access the light housing.

Mario,

Yep, the licence plate also needed to come off when I replaced the light housings. I don't recall it been too much hassle though and I think I did this by loosening the clips at the bottom first and then levering it out a little (and down) to allow the tops ones to pop out (don't forget the two little screws inside at the top).

Check for dropped little foam pads on reassembly as if missing will cause one of those annoying rattles :)

To stop myself losing patience and ending up using the brummagen screwdriver I gave myself plenty of time to do the job on a sunny afternoon.

Cheers,

Andy B

Last edited:
Thanks again Andy.

I will make sure i allow myself plenty of time for the job.

Thought it would only take 5 minutes! Blooming Audi!

Ah, but that's the trick - if you allow yourself plenty of time to do it you'll take an hour.

But if you give yourself only an hour you'll try to rush, lose patience, break something, lose more patience, break something else which is more important and end up not being able to reassemble it. You'll then not be able to drive the car for 2 weeks as you can't get the (very expensive) spare part that you broke.....

Patience and a clear mind for a happy well done job :D

Cheers,

Andy B

So true Andy.

One final question. Will removing the number plate aid removal of either of the panels? Just that I've only just fitted a nice new plate and could without removing the sticky tape etc.

If you put the tape over the original screw holes, I suspect it will get torn off anyway.

The diagram on the other thread appears to show that the inserts are in the main section of the tailgate, and another picture says it's in the tailgate.

Bret - who has a screwed-on numberplate :)

I don't believe removing the number plate will help any. I never touched it and in fact gave it no thought during the work.

Andy B

If the number plate is screwed on it does need removing as the screws go through the outer lower cover and screw into the tailgate

Phil

Hi guys,

Thought I'd revive this old thread rather than start a new one.

The interior fibre board trim has come away from the inside of my tailgate. All of the clips are in place and I've straightened a couple that were bent. Any tips for getting it back on? Seems extremely fiddly so any advice and what to look out for would be useful.

Cheers

Simon

Hi guys,

Thought I'd revive this old thread rather than start a new one.

The interior fibre board trim has come away from the inside of my tailgate. All of the clips are in place and I've straightened a couple that were bent. Any tips for getting it back on? Seems extremely fiddly so any advice and what to look out for would be useful.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

The clips have to be in really good shape, I had to buy new ones for the wife's A2, the cover just wouldn't stay solidly fixed.

When you have the clips in place and they are good, you have to line everything up carefully and just brute force (carefully)

Unless the clips are fully engaged they will let the cover come loose again. So some good hard hits with the side of a clenched fist did it for me.

But I recommend new clips, not expensive but they will save a lot of hassle.

Steve B

Hi Simon,

The clips have to be in really good shape, I had to buy new ones for the wife's A2, the cover just wouldn't stay solidly fixed.

When you have the clips in place and they are good, you have to line everything up carefully and just brute force (carefully)

Unless the clips are fully engaged they will let the cover come loose again. So some good hard hits with the side of a clenched fist did it for me.

But I recommend new clips, not expensive but they will save a lot of hassle.

Steve B

Cheers Steve, you don't have the part number for the clips by any chance? I've had a look back through a few threads to no avail.

Simon

Cheers Steve, you don't have the part number for the clips by any chance? I've had a look back through a few threads to no avail.

Simon

I have just looked for the receipt, but can't find it, sorry.

I have all of the receipts for the bits for the project but not for the bits used on my wife's A2.

But the dealer found them easy enough on their system.

Steve B

Ok, so here is how I put the tailgate trim back on. After giving it a couple of whacks from the outside, I couldnt get both sides to sit flush. So Plan B was to remove one of the rear seats from the car and climb into the car and line the tailgate trim with the boot closed. Give it a good thud on all sides- make sure all the corners are lined up and remember to make sure you have reconnected the emergency boot cord.

Well.....what a pain in the a**e!

Got the new clips, but did two of us manage to fit the new liner after an hour of thumping, bashing and swearing?

Did we hell!

We couldn't seem to line all of the clips up . I've checked the liner for warping and checked that the clips fit the holes but no cigar. Not even close.

Any magic tips guys before I embarrassingly admit defeat and pay the garage to do this?

Back