Clear indicator/headlight removal: my pic'ed guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

swiv

Hi all!

Despite the fact that Mike (maersk) already posted some pictures on the A2OC pages (http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/tips.htm#maersk), I thought it would be useful to add some more. Moreover, Mike's A2 seems to have a littlebit different lights. Mine is a 2003 model, but differences are small.

So last weekend when I pulled my headlights from my A2, I decided to make some pictures in the process. Nothing fancy, not the photos nor the process itself.

What is needed?
- Torx (30) scredriver

Optional: flat screwdriver & room to store the hood.

Step 1: Release the service flap
Use the lever below the driver's dash:
1_flap_release.jpg

Step 2: Unlock the hood
Open the flap and turn the two grey knobs found on either side. (Turn them against the direction that the arrows point in)
Turn until they pop out.
5_turn_knobs.jpg

Step 3: Remove the hood
The hood can be pulled off the car by doing a sort of sliding/pulling combination. So pull it towards you a bit and try to lift at the same time. It's a bit fiddly but shouldn't take too much effort.

Step 4: Store the hood
I put mine in the back. It doesn't fit, so leave the door open. My door went crashing into the hood when the wind caught it, so prevent that or use some other location
6_place_hood.jpg

Step 5: Remove the two screws that hold the assembly
The green areas indicate where you should find them.
If you want to, mark the screw and it's position with respect to the 'socket' with a marker of some sort. They can be off-center, probably to align the assembly with the bumper/hood. The level of the lights is not determined by these screws, so it won't do too much harm if you forget.
7_unscrew.jpg

8_unscrew2.jpg

Step 6: slide out the assembly
Slide it forward until the attached cables do not allow you to go further. Then remove the largish 2x4cm plastic plug that is on the corner towards the center of the car. They are locked into position by a clip. Use a flat screwdriver to pry it loose, if needed.
The resulting 'hole':
9_removed.jpg

So here we have the healdlight, and in my case some Philips Silvervision 'clear' indicators alongside.
10_old_and_new.jpg

Step 7: remove cover
Flip off the clip that hold the plastic back cover. You should end up like this:
11_turn_orange.jpg

Step 8: take out indicator bulb
Turn the orange bulb socket. It will only go one way. Turn until it won't go further. You can then pull it out.
12_pull.jpg

Step 9: Place bulb
The old bulb is taken out by another round of turning and pulling. All very easy.
13_compare.jpg

Now reverse all of this to re-assemble your headlight. Make use of your markings on the screws or align with the bumper.
Repeat for the other side of the car.

The result:

After:
14_new_color.jpg

15_new1.jpg

15_new2.jpg

Before:
2_before1.jpg

4_before3.jpg

A small difference. Results my vary with other brands of 'clear' indicators.

Enjoy!

Edo

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

Cool !!!

When I do this I'll also change the city lights (the small ones) for white led's !!

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

The citylights can easily be removed. They have been placed on a grey 'lollipop' stick. You can just pull them out without any turning. You might even be able to do so _without_ removing the entire headlight.

As you might have seen in step 7, I had some nasty blue leds to replace them. Not very cool (and illegal) but I just wanted to see it. However, somehow the blue led I tried on one side did not work. Didn't bother to find out why, so I put in the regular bulb again.
Really white ones should be very nice though!

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

Of course, Stuart. Thought about it, but felt more comfortable with html. Also wasn't sure if it was 'guide-worthy'. I guess so.
Keep an eye on your mailbox in a few days.

Edo

--

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back