EGR Fault Fixed, Garage have left a part loose. what is it? What does it do?

Tmdurkin1

Hi Guys & Girls!

Wondering if anyone could tell me what this part is? I've just worked out how to fit it back onto the mount within the engine however wondered what the part actually does?

Recently I had an issue with the EGR valve/pipe blockage which I have now had fixed, the garage who fixed it/bought the car from had left his part loose and I can feel a judder when traveling at slow speeds. The feeling is like a slight los of power then it kicks back in almost bunny-hopping....

Any ideas? Now i have fixed this part back upright, will this resolve the issue? HELP.jpg

The other way up it looks like a cup with a pipe coming off it? Some kind of air flow perhaps?

Thankssss

Tim

i believe its to do with the air con a run off for water connects with the vent on the underside of the bonnet

Last edited:
No that wont cause that. Do you have a diesel or petrol? did the garage scan the car for you for any fault codes?

hi i would say you have a coil or plug lead on its way out-looking at the pic its all very dirty so inspect the leads. If all looks good try plugs. Anybody close that can scan the car? Another common problem is dirty throttle body. I believe there is a how to on here.
hope this helps mike

Thanks guys! I'll look into it, my brother has a fault code reader and no faults come up as far as i'm aware as we checked it before as the engine management light kept coming on due to the EGR fault. I will take it to the garage next time I'm nearby. Its a petrol 1.4 2002.

Cheers :)

Unfortunately, this fault got worse and a few days ago car cut out at about 60mph. Had to be towed.

ABS light came on flashed and beeped, then a complete loss of power! Any ideas!?

You really need to get a scan done with VCDS. Some handheld scanners don't pick up faults correctly.

I suspect the car has gone into limp-home mode.....Have you checked out the coil packs, plug leads and plugs yet?

If the car is driveable and you can get it to Thorney I am in this area on Tues, Wed & Thurs evenings, have full VCDS and will scan it for you.

Cheers

Jeff

As above are you in March cams? I am just down the road in Huntingdon. So not a prob to give you a scan as well.

Cheers

David

Hi there,

I think you were right the 1st time. I am sure this is a cup to catch the water the comes throught the bonnet grill. It should sit facing up somewhere above the gearbox cable ends and meets with the rubber funnel bit on the back of the bonnet. Sorry if this is vague. But that plastic pipe coming from the end of this cup is only fit for water and is simialr to the type used to channel the water from the windscreen plenham (not sure how to spell that one) to the drivers side wheel arch / bulk head. Sorry I can't get pictures today to help you.
100% sure that this pipe has nothing to do with your problems.

David

Thanks again guys, car is currently in a garage in March unfortunately the car stopped completely and couldn't be driven! Im so gratful for your help tho! Its annoying that i've just bought the car and im already having problems! Hopefully it will get sorted.

:)

Back