Is A2 fuel efficiency really this bad?

RatchRoyal

Past Member
I have a 1.6 FSI Sporin with 17" Audi wheels and 60K miles.

The car has full service history and is in great shape as I service regularly and has just had cam belt and vacuum pump changed. I only run it on Shell V-Power.

I live in Central London and so all my mileage is short and stop start. My DIS MPG is at best 26.5 rising to low 30s on motorway drives @ 70/80mph.

I find these figures completely unnaceptable and way off Audis figures - am I being unreasonable? Why is it do bad?

Last edited:
I'm afraid that in all reasonable probability it's the driving conditions that the car is being used in.

On the motorway trying keeping the speed more in the 60-70 mph range. If you have cruise control try that too. It's smooth low speed driving that achieves good mpg figures.
I'd be aiming for low to mid 40's for your car on a run.

The average across this sample of 80 cars is 40mpg
http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overv...ueltype=2&power_s=105&power_e=115&powerunit=2

Last edited:
...I find these figures completely unacceptable and way off Audis figures - am I being unreasonable? Why is it so bad?

You have to look at the types of trips you do. Short trips = bad mpg. Stop/go = bad mpg. 17" rims = bad mpg. 80mph = bad mpg.

Do a long motorway trip at 65 and you should see a massive improvement, around 50-55mpg probably.

Of course there can be other factors which bring your mpg down (binding brakes, low tyre pressure, towing, roofrack, ... etc etc).

Finally, don't trust your DIS unless you know that its tank estimate for your mpg is consistent with your actual tanks (miles divided by gallons). Things like a bad MAF sensor can send it way out.

Last edited:
Tyres are all new and matched premium brand. Never tow, never roof rack etc.

I was being conservative at 75mph! I've always owned BMW Tourings so normally cruise at 85+.

I love the A2 and got it for it's alloy chassis and glass roof but am disappointed by how rough the engine is and the ride is truly appalling - though it's a great drive.

Thinking of going to 16" tires with taller rubber but the 17"s look so good.

Tyres are all new and matched premium brand. ...

Ironically the mpg from new tyres is (slightly) less than the mpg from worn tyres. The reason is that rolling resistance occurs when the blocks squirm under load. Worn tyres have less height in the blocks & hence less squirming...

... but the effect is small. Tyre pressure rather than wear is the biggest factor.

...am disappointed by how rough the engine is ...

Is that when the engine is cold, or when it has had a few miles to warm up? If the latter, perhaps a coil pack is out.

and the ride is truly appalling - though it's a great drive.

Thinking of going to 16" tires with taller rubber but the 17"s look so good.

I went from 16"s to 15"s... much nicer on the many potholes & speedbumps around here. I dread to think what 17"s would be like!

Last edited:
Coil packs are fine - it's just typical Audi quirks - rough engines and wooden steering / gear change. My BMW is light years ahead in ride and engine but not half as cool.

Last edited:
I've driven an FSi and the one word I wouldn't have used to describe it is rough? I wonder if there's not something afoot with your motor...
Also, 17s will kill your MPG down to the mass of the wheel and the increased width of the tread pattern both increasing drag. They're also terrible for ride. My car was originally 16s, then I went to 17s for the looks, hated the ride so went back to 16s, and now I'm on 15s - the ride is SO much better :)

I got the car at low mileage and has immaculate history - also, all diagnostics show no issues with car. It's not rough for your a average car but compared to a BMW or Honda 4-Pot it's poor.

I've driven the FSI too, and was impressed by how quiet and smooth it was. Admittedly I normally drive a 3-pot TDI so everything seems silky by comparison, but having also driven a few Bimmers in my time (albeit not owned by me), I wouldn't have compared the FSI so unfavourably.

The A2's ride is notoriously bad. I have tried to squeeze as much comfort out of the 17" Sport alloys as I can, but it's cost me a lot. I've fitted 205/45 tyres rather than the usual 40-sections, have upgraded to Koni FSD shocks and use a set of Spidan springs that I imported from Germany. They're much more comfortable than the OEM springs.
I imagine I've got the most comfortable A2 with 17" wheels and it really is massive improvement in comfort and handling over how it was when I bought it, but nevertheless I'm still going to down-size to 16" wheels once my current set of tyres has worn out. This is admittedly a decision based partly on wanting better economy, but I simply still haven't got the car as comfortable as I'd like it to be despite all my suspension upgrades.

I've only once driven the FSI on the motorway. It was a Sport and therefore had 17" wheels with 205-width tyres. I kept my speed between 60 and 65 and averaged 52mpg. Going as fast as you do in any car, lightweight or otherwise, will hammer the economy because drag is a function of speed squared; double your speed, quadruple your drag.
I drive a TDI and so am able to put a longer cog in place of 5th gear. This definitely allows for more economy when cruising fast, but still the most noticeable increase in economy comes from slowing down.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
As mentioned above you can get better mpg on a run, i averaged 51mpg on a long trip once in my 1.6. Those figures dont sound too bad for stop start in london, i bet your getting more from your car than most others around you.

I was running a BMW 320d before and yes it's a diesel but it's a way heavier car with less aero and it's a turbo and got low 30s in town and high 40s on highway. I get that my driving style is costing me MPG but I'm hardly thrashing the car with a full boot - I was expecting more. The ride quality cannot be just down to 17" wheels. I love the car but the ride and MPG stop it being the absoloute perfect car.

London's crappy surfaced and pothole-ridden streets are truly unbearable in an A2. Given its primarliy a car for the city that is not cool.

If my driving was primarily in the city, I think I'd have to follow Timmus in pursuing substantial suspension improvements.

As it happens, I drive 2 x 50 miles on the M61 & M6 each weekday. I bought the A2 specifically for economical motorway running. Keeping the speed to around 60, I get 53 mpg in my petrol 1.4. Capital costs and depreciation included, this is much cheaper than buying a new(ish) super-efficient German/Japanese/Swedish diesel.

K

Last edited:
Personally I find the A2 stiffly sprung, even with my 15" wheels. When driving spiritedly through some country lanes there is only little body roll. Regrettably this seems to be a feature of modern cars, and especially Audi at that. But nothing comes close to the harshness in my former Smart ForTwo or the smoothness of my Citroen BX. It feels like most cars are closer to the Smart these days.

But to the OP, 15" are quite cheap to buy, so this may be an option worth exploring.

The ride quality cannot be just down to 17" wheels. I love the car but the ride and MPG stop it being the absoloute perfect car.

Er, it's not just down to the wheels. In my previous post I mentioned all manner of suspension upgrades I've done to combat the excessively firm suspension. Everyone agrees that standard A2 suspension is pretty rubbish. Ikimiki's car is fairly comfortable for an A2 on standard springs and dampers, but it's running on broad 15" wheels, meaning there's space for lots of air in the tyres. The same cannot be said for 205/40/R17. Unless you're willing to spend on suspension upgrades, you can either have comfort or "the look", but not both I'm afraid.

Given it's primarliy a car for the city...

Perhaps this is why your MPG isn't too good. City cars don't have starship gearing for motorway cruising, certainly not at speeds well above the legal limit.

I love the car but the ride and MPG stop it being the absoloute perfect car.

It seems I have the perfect car, then! :)
The TDIs are generally preferred for long-distance motorway cruising. Mine is admittedly highly modified in favour of the motorway, but I get 67-ish mpg when cruising at a true 70mph, rising to above 70mpg if I drop my speed somewhat. It's not the stop-start city car that you need, though, and I wouldn't expect to see mpg figures much above those of the petrols when crawling forward in London traffic.

Tom

Last edited:
I had a new Smart 4 four when they came out (had to wait till launch date to use it) It had sport suspension and 16" wheels and made my A2 feel like a limo. Only kept it 8 months as couldnt stand the ride and lousy auto gearchange. Swapped it for the last new auto arosa in the country for half what I paid for it. Now swapped the A2 for a Yaris Tsport. Not anywhere near as refined as the A2 (1.4 petrol) but smoother ride, and better economy (46.9mpg against 43.8) same sort of usage. Strangely the Yaris does more to the gallon if used solely around town, it will pull easily from 20mph in 5th so unless you have to come to a standstill (not often in rural devon), I can stay in top uphill and down dale. I do still miss the good things about the A2, ie looks quality of bodywork and interior, but not the downsides. Poor visability, crashy suspension, constant need for drivebelts (60k soon comes round) and unreliable engine management electrics. If RatchRoyal thinks his 1.6 is rough he should try a Tdi. You Tdi boys will I think call it character, but after 2 years in mine (2002) I called it very cheap motoring but not acceptable on the lousy roads we had then (not so bad now) so swapped it for a Freelander Td4 in 2004 (fab ride smooth and quiet, lousey build quality) So best of luck, just appreciate the good points of your A2 and learn to put up with the bad ones, you will miss it when its gone. Cheers Colin

Last edited:
I'm not into Diesels at all. I get that suspension tweaks are a way to go but I don't think they're worth it as they won't cure the ride. I've thought about the 16" wheels - 15 would be too small. I just spent £700 on a new vacuum pump, thermostat (which are electric and 15 times a normal one) and curing a power steering leak. I've fitted Bluetooth and factory iPod and the car has leather with lumbar and the opensky and double din stereo - its almost perfect.

I get that suspension tweaks are a way to go but I don't think they're worth it as they won't cure the ride.

Many members have done a lot more than 'tweaking'. What makes you so sure that such changes won't cure the ride?

I've thought about the 16" wheels - 15 would be too small.

I agree. I will drop to 16" wheels, but wouldn't want to go as far as 15" as I find them aesthetically too small. With my suspension set-up, 16" wheels should be lovely and comfortable without sacrificing handling or looks.

I've fitted Bluetooth and factory iPod and the car has leather with lumbar and the opensky and double din stereo - its almost perfect.

It does sound like a very nicely spec'd A2 indeed, though I remember a year ago you were cursing your ugly double-din stereo.

Tom

I mention the double din only as a spec indicator - I still dislike it and prefer the simplicity of the single din CD Chorus. I've spoken to some owners who have the Koni dampers etc and they say the it's better but still not great - so not worth the cost. I'll try 16s - can always go back and resell.

Koni FSDs transformed my car both in terms of ride and refinement. Night and day difference.

Back