Will replacing the battery in the remote key erase the settings/code to match my A2?

RickyG512

Hey Guys

the signal in the key for unlocking the car is very weak, have to be very close to the car and press it a few times for it to work

i have seen replacement batteries on eBay for 50p

my question is if i replace the battery, will it wipe of the code/settings in the key?

i thank all you lovely A2 people in advance =)

cheers matey boys !!!

You'll probably need to re-sync the key to the immobiliser once the new battery is in.

dammit, thought it could be a quicky and easy swap, would it be best to do it directly with audi? im guessing they charge loads

i know my sky tv box remote control that if u want to change the battery without loosing the TV remote settings to change volume u have 15 minutes

It is quick and easy.
Put new battery in. Unlock car. Put key in ignition and turn key to position 2.
Lock car using interior door lock button.
Wait a few seconds.
Unlock car using door lock button.
Switch off ignition and get out.

Test remote locking on key fob. Simples!

It is quick and easy.
Put new battery in. Unlock car. Put key in ignition and turn key to position 2.
Lock car using interior door lock button.
Wait a few seconds.
Unlock car using door lock button.
Switch off ignition and get out.

Test remote locking on key fob. Simples!

Hello Dan B, im abit confused

Put new battery in. Unlock car. Put key in ignition and turn key to position 2. <----- unlock using which mehtod?

Unlock car using door lock button. <---- using the interior button on the door itself?

Thanks =)

There's so many theories and methods floating around on how to re-sync a key, but here is the definitive:

Change battery in key, see if the remote works. If it does, then happy days. If not, then carry out the following:

Open the car (using the key in the door lock), put key in ignition and turn on (no need to start engine) and wait until the car symbol light goes out (the car symbol with a key in it).

When that symbol has gone out, immediately turn off, withdraw the key and press the unlock button on the fob. The locks should cycle, telling you that the re-sync was successful.

If the locks don't cycle, then just repeat the procedure.

Simples!

ok so i was playing around with the key/practicing how to opening it and stuff, and accidently the battery got disconnected for 5 seconds, put it all back together and went back to the car and it stopped working, using the above methods to re-sync the key worked, now that i have learnt how to do it thanks to you guys =), i have ordered a Duracell battery off eBay for £1.20, will update how it goes and if it improves the reception/signal of the key because as mentioned before would have to press it a few times for it to work and be really realllllyyy close to the car lol, thanks again =)

Last edited:
Back