Severe Coolant Leak after Cambelt and Water Pump repair

Milli3

Hi & apologies if I am repeating another thread. I have browsed through the many threads that are available but decided to post a thread specific to my particular problem.

I have a 1.6 FSI Sport which was 'repaired' yesterday with a new cambelt and water pump. After delivery I had a call to say that car running fine after being test driven by the mechanics just over 4 hours later, but the coolant pipe has burst and spurting out coolant everywhere and that it would be additional costs from that quoted. OK fine things break the car isn't new but in pretty damn excellent nick and the coolant was fine prior.

Tuesday was too long to wait, so I had contacted a family member (a mechanic) over 25 miles away that was coming to have a look at it. As I cannot drive the car, he was not able to collect it today to take it away for a full look over. I am sat here frantic and fuming as I have now heard from my daughter who recommended these mechanics to me that she heard that they have charged clients for work not done etc. but she didn't think they would do that to me. I am FUMING!! (Audi mechanics may I add, though car was done independently/£120 labour charges.) I was not looking for a cheap repair as I told them I wanted it done properly.

So following this bad advice, I am now wondering whether they have deliberatly popped the three way connector (cambelt/engine/?) that leads the coolant to the engine for financial gain. Or would this be a common fault. Or work badly done?

What damage would be cause to the car? As I cannot drive it I am stewing over the possibilities of what further damage would be caused. They did start the car briefly to demonstrate that the car starts. Then I insisted that they tow me home as I was not leaving it with them without a second opinion.

Could I source the connector and reattach a new one and drive it to my nearest garage? I have had a look at the Audi website but cannot find a parts section and I do not know what the part is called. These plebs said I would need 3 new pipes, but having looked at the pipes they seem ok.

What would have caused this? A compression of some sort? The DIS shows everything ok, but then again I haven't driven it other than free flow towing. The brakes will probably be worn as smelt the friction of them when applying the 1 1/2 mile journey.

Would really appreciate some feedback as the mechanic runs his business and being Sunday he will be pretty busy this week so would fit me in probably at the weekend.

They also left my valeted mats and passenger seat with dirt and crumbs! How rude!!

sorry to hear of your troubles.
I live in Leeds and also have an FSI.
There are few garages that I would trust with my car.
IVC : http://www.ivcleeds.co.uk/

My favourite and most knowledgable garage is Awsome GTi in manchester.
They did my fsi cambelt and waterpump 3 years ago, and will be seeing it again for another next year!

Name and shame the garage if its that shoddy.

The fsi car scares most garages with its complexity, you really need a place that knows them.
Dont dispair, they are great engines.

Thank you for your reply it is much appreciated. I think there are some scrupulous people nowadays and I think its a case of lets take advantage of vulnerable women. Although the part could have been faulty or aged I certainly will not be take my car to someone I do not trust. I must brush up on my knowledge of the car for peace of mind.

I will have a look at your recommended website link and give them a call tomorrow.

y connector.jpg

What would have caused this coolant y connector to burst?

hmmm....would bet a bag of jelly tots that the conector in the picture has been snapped rather than burst.
Any evidence of it being glued?

Reason for me thinking its a snap rather than a burst is:
a: its hard plastic, surely the hose would burst before the plastic
b: why would it fail at two points, once burst the pressure is released (i think!) so it would only fail at the weekest spot.

Thats my logic anyway. Is the conector body a valve of any description, or just 3 way flow?

Back