Over Heating A2 1.6 FSI

Woodsfc

Hi All
Firstly thanks to all who are involved in running and maintaining this forum. I have been reading a few things about the issues I have with my A2 while waiting for my account to be verified and I think I have the answers I need, but ill post any way just in case I’m wrong.

I have just bought a 2002 1.6 fsi and on the drive back from the garage it started over heating. Masses of steam and water starting coming out of the water reservoir.
I did test drive it and it was ok but home was a bit further. I took it back to the garage and as i like the car I thought I would give them the chance to sort it and they replaced the thermostat. It seemed reasonable as the hoses coming out of the bottom end were a lot cooler than the one coming from the reservoir. This seemed to sort it out. Took it home and ran it about last night and no probs. So this morning I go to get in the car and the water warning light is on. The reservoir was completely empty so I top it up and it starts overheating and dropped all the water out of the reservoir again.

So having read a few bits on the forum I now know that the garage should get VAG-COM test and see if there are some fault codes. Has anyone heard of anything like this before just in case the blindingly obvious is being missed?

Many Thanks

Thanks for the Info.
The thermostat and housing were replaced. The origional symptoms are back tho..:(

sorry to hear your troubles but i fear it is the head gasket--the garage should be able to get it "sniff" tested -- a chemical thats held over the expansion tank,this changes colour if exposed to combustion fumes.
i would take it back and insist its looked at and dont get fobbed off. good luck mike

Back