A2 1.2TDI, advice please

TYP 8Z

Whilst super happy with my TDI, I recently caught the 1.2 3L bug, looking more and more to some nice cars in Germany. I read few posts by members who successfully managed to import here in UK 1.2 from Germany.

I have some questions and I would truly appreciate any input:
Can the DIS be programmed so that it displays English language instead of German?
Can you change the alloy to a slightly bigger size (16")? I know that the small wheels are part of the fuel/ aerodynamic efficiency but they really look small...
Lightweight windscreen: what happens if it gets chipped and needs replacing? can you replace it with a standard one?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

The DIS can be converted to English easily. Mine is in English now. VCDS can do the change.
The windscreen seems to be very marginally thinner. Even the dealer in Norway was struggling to specifically specify the difference.
Mine has a standard screen now without seeming to impact economy.
I would recommend the slightly less trimmed down 1.2Tdi with aircon and power steering. Heated seats are also nice in the winter!
It really is a fantastic drive and the tiptronic gearbox is fantastic even though it sometimes gets confused pulling round a corner onto a hill...

As to the wheels no idea. However you can opt for the 155 or 165 width tyres for far better handling.

The wheels look fine in reality. After looking at my car lots I find the larger wheels kind of odd...

John

All 1.2s. I competely forgot about the wheels only having 4 studs...
Is it not possible to get non oem wheels that are 4 stud?

John

Hi John,

Thank you so much for this, much appreciated. It's reassuring to hear that the DIS can be converted to English. BTW, who is VCDS? Sorry, I am quite new to the forum...
I have been reading about the import process and despite looking tricky seems feasible. Did you encounter any specific problem when you brought your 1.2 to UK?
In case I would definitely choose a 1.2 with AC and PS.
I understand your point about the wheels....I just wanted to know if it's possible anyway to fit the standard A2 16" wheels....

Hi,

I bought my car in Norway. I looked at importing to Norway from Germany but it was prohibitively expensive.
VCDS is the Ross-tech software. There are numerous people on the forum with access. The dealers can also do it for you.
I got mine done by my local dealer and they did it for free with a service. otherwise they may charge but it should not be too much.
You could try sending a message directly to a UK 1.2 owner (Lukas?) to ask about the import.

At a guess I would think that having the steering wheel on the wrong side would be more an issue than the actual import. I guess insurance companies would not favour it.

One other thought is the "full fat" 1.2 may be better for the remote central locking. The cars lacking this are a hassle.

This may help a bit:
http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t33576.html

I think with the EU it should be fairly easy butfor the headlight angle and such. But a pair of lights from a breaker should solve the issue easily.

John

John,
the steering wheel on the left is not a problem, as I grew up driving in Italy. Plus, because of the thick A pillars I am anyway now used to to swing my head to make sure I am not hitting anything or anyone. Thanks for the link....I shall have a look.

I think left handed wheel has a fairly siginificant impact on insurance premiums... Is this the case?

It's certainly a cost-increasing factor, but just one of many things insurers take into consideration!

Whilst super happy with my TDI, I recently caught the 1.2 3L bug, looking more and more to some nice cars in Germany. I read few posts by members who successfully managed to import here in UK 1.2 from Germany.

I have some questions and I would truly appreciate any input:
Can the DIS be programmed so that it displays English language instead of German?
Can you change the alloy to a slightly bigger size (16")? I know that the small wheels are part of the fuel/ aerodynamic efficiency but they really look small...
Lightweight windscreen: what happens if it gets chipped and needs replacing? can you replace it with a standard one?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

To make it fully legal you will need to change the instruments to show MPH - about £500 when I did it. You will also have to connect up the rear LH foglight which is fairly straightforward - connect to RHS f/light. The wheels are exactly the same as the VW Lupo 3L although the standard tyres are different. When I bought my 1.2 in Germany it came with some VW wheels (Polo?) with non-standard tyres which I'm not sure were legal (circumference and width) with the standard wheels with winter tyres.

Thin glass, in my experience, is no more likely to chip/crack than standard.

RAB

Of course, you will also need to change the headlights! Quite easy, 10 minute job!

Insurance is not a problem, you can do it entirely on-line.

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
Changing the instrument speedo to show MPH should not be a big issue.
VCDS can do the coding and a new set of clock dials can be purchased from about £80.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi RAB,

I was aware of the instrument conversion form Km to Mph...recently I found a dial Km/Mph on ebay for 50 quid (Assuming you can swap a dial between a normal A2 and the 3L). I guess the remaining £450 will be labor...right?

Could you not just add a new face to the existing dial?
In another thread a company making such was recommended.

John, sure you can add a sticker onto the existing dial but in my experience stickers or decals never survive too many years....few seasons (hot and cold) and they will inevitably age faster then the other components. I think it's worth replacing it with a genuine part...

I think John is referring to the proper dial face swap, ones that are properly made such as http://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/dials-for-imported-vehicles-c53.html not some add on stickers of decals. There are members talking about replacing their existing dial face with one made with newer Audi font although I believe it is another company not lockwood as I causally linked. If the 1.2's clocks is identical to the 1.4 TDI, then you could just get an order in and do a swap.

Just do it! But beware of 3L foibles like leaking hydraulic fluid gbox issues. LHD is not a problem in UK wih such a narrow car. Fit winter tyres from Nov thro March and the 5 sped manual/auto box is brilliant in all conditions.

Mine is still regular transport with around 11 years use and 178,000 miles enjoy!

http://www.greenconsumerguide.com/audi_a2_tdi.php

Buy VCDS as the gearbox and clutch need a basic setting every 30,000km. A garage or even a UK Audi agent are unlikely to do this, in my experience, as they are unfamiliar with the gearbox. It will probably pay for itself the first time you use it. Be aware though that it cannot diagnose a failing or even a failed hydraulic system accumulator. This can have expensive and unnecessary consequences!

RAB

I thought the Lupo 3L had 13 inch wheels and the A2 1.2 has 14 inch wheels...
My wheels are Audi branded alloys. I think these were the originals fitted to my car.

John

Back