Air in coolant system.

Hi everyone!
Okay, I'm having some overheating issues with my A2 SE 1.4 petrol. I've been looking at the forums for a few weeks and believe the cause to be air in the coolant system. Now the problem I'm having is that I cannot locate the bleeder screws. I'd like to try and sort it myself before heading into a garage to get the work done at a cost.
So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Stuart

Hi Stuart, welcome to the A2oc

I don't think there are any bleed screws as its a fully de-aerating cooling system. This means that once the thermostat opens any trapped air will find its way to the expansion tank.
What is the sequence of events leading to the overheat

Cheers Spike

Hi Spike,
Well, at least that explains why I couldn't find any bleed screws.
Okay, this is what happens;
Ignition on, after about 5 minutes running temp hits 90 then steadily climbs to 110ish, giving intermittent low coolant warnings in-car. Furthermore, I get no heat from the A/C. When I crank the A/C up to full the radiator fan kicks in, but doesn't seem to spin all that fast, and doesn't kick in on its own on the way up to 90 degrees (I dont know if it kicks in at a higher temperature).
Thanks, Stuart

The cooling system is generally self bleeding - apart from the FSi that needs some attention when refilling from empty.
You could try running the engine for a while with the expansion tank cap removed but you may experience overflow as it warms up which really defeats the object.
Best to fill to the max mark, seal and run the car monitoring and topping up the coolant until it stabilises.

blue skies
tony

blue skies
tony

Okay, thanks Tony, I'll give that a go (when it's not blowing a gale and hammering it down like there's no tomorrow) and report back.
Cheers, Stuart.

Back