A2 1.2 TDI 3L Timing Cam Belt garage recommendation

I'm after a recommendation for a garage to change the timing belt on my A2 3L.

Having driven and enjoyed a VW Lupo 3L since the end of June this year I'm just about to travel over to Germany to collect a rather nice red A2 3L from the Frankfurt area. It's 10 years old, has done 69,000km, has only been serviced by Audi but it hasn't had it's timing belt changed as they are due at 90,000km on the 1.2 tdi.

I've asked the dealer I'm buying it from to supply an Audi main dealer sourced cam belt kit and waterpump so I'll have the parts to do it back in the UK as I thought this may be simpler that sourcing the parts in the UK.

Can anyone recommend a suitable garage in the home counties area please?

Many thanks.

Hello and welcome to the A2OC,

I live in the North West so cannot help with garage recommendations for you, but nevertheless I thought I'd welcome you to the club. You'll be umongst a very select few with a 1.2TDI, especially as it's the 3L version. Congratulations!

Tom

Hi Tom
Thanks very much. I fly out on December 16th to collect and drive back on the 17th. I'm already armed with my letter of conformity from Audi UK so hoping that registration should be pretty simple.
Mark

I'd be suprised if it's never been changed because it should have been changed five years ago, regardless of mileage, especially if Audi have done the servicing! The belts only have a shelf life of five/six years.

RAB

Woody
Will you write a little piece about what you did, when, etc so that others could follow in your steps?
Paul

Hi Tom
Thanks very much. I fly out on December 16th to collect and drive back on the 17th. I'm already armed with my letter of conformity from Audi UK so hoping that registration should be pretty simple.
Mark

Have you arranged transit insurance to enable you to drive back? This can be arranged by the dealer and is a legal requirement. It includes temporary no. plates - the existing ones can only be used by the present owner. Cost is about €150. You cannot use UK insurance as there will be no UK registration no.

RAB

Hi Paul and Rab
Happy to write a little account of the venture. Insurance and temp plates will be sorted on the morning of the 17th. I think the insurance lasts two weeks.
So far I've contacted VAG UK who have provided me with a certificate of conformity. Not much more to do until I get the car back? I'll keep a record of tasks and costs and post them here when all done.
Mark

Hi
Do you still have your A2 3L?
I've had my 1.2tdi from new for 13 years and it's been a dream. Except for a few weeks ago the gears packed up. Audi told me it needed a new gearbox at £2500. My local garage told me it was the clutch only, so I took it to him. He's spent £500 fixing the clutch but it still won't work because it needs rechipping (£1000).
I've decided to call it a day very sadly so I'm looking for someone who will make good use of it for spares (which are becoming rare and expensive).
Everything's in good order except this damned computer chip.
Are you interested?
Andy Fisher
07930-958941

I havn,t a clue about the 1.2 tdi,s Andy but it would be a shame if your car was broken up for spares. Have you considered contacting WOM automotive for advice. I think that they have recently refurbed a 1.2 Tdi gearbox and may be able to help with the costs issue ?.

Are you sure about the diagnosis? Very unusual for the controller to die! If the clutch had been replaced, the transmission would need a basic setting done with VCDS. This should be done every 30,000km anyway. There's no way that it would function without this. Has it been done? What were the gearbox symptoms? Is the accumulator OK? How many gear changes (with the engine off) can you make (tiptronic) before the pump restarts? Is there enough hydraulic oil?

RAB

Dont call it a day mate.

It would be nice to see someone take it off you and sort it out.
I just wish I was closer

Roy

Hi
Do you still have your A2 3L?
I've had my 1.2tdi from new for 13 years and it's been a dream. Except for a few weeks ago the gears packed up. Audi told me it needed a new gearbox at £2500. My local garage told me it was the clutch only, so I took it to him. He's spent £500 fixing the clutch but it still won't work because it needs rechipping (£1000).
I've decided to call it a day very sadly so I'm looking for someone who will make good use of it for spares (which are becoming rare and expensive).
Everything's in good order except this damned computer chip.
Are you interested?
Andy Fisher
07930-958941

Back