1.2 TDI ignition issue

ceonke

A2OC Donor
Hello,

Recently I had clutch replaced, and due to lack of time, didn't manage to do adaptation same day.Next day my audi started do strange things. There was -20 C when I started engine, everything looked ok, but when tried to drive ( put lever to D ) gearbox was acting like in neutral gear. I could accelerate standing still in D position. I left it as it was, and went to work. When I came back, engine won't start at all. When I turn on ignition, everything looks normal, I can see changing gears in dashboard, but hydraulic pump doesn't make a sound and when I try to start the engine, nothing happens. My colleague tried to read fault codes with VAGCOM VCDS, but both engine and gearbox modules were not accessible. Clutch cable acts ok. Hydraulic fluid level ok, battery ok. I was suggested to look out alarm system, but it's not connected with any pump, just with ignition.

Maybe somebody could give advice what to look for?

Any help will be appreciated.

Carry out a gearbox basic setting, if you haven't done so already.

I'm not sure how you can 'accelerate standing still'! Does your hydraulic pump run at all?

RAB

It was possible to accelerate in D ant stay still, cus as I think the is an issue with hydraulic pump. Maybe there is fuse for hydraulic pump, or i relay. Is it possible that the issue is caused by it?

Have you done a basic setting since the clutch renewal? If not, I'm not suprised that you have problems.

Is the hydraulic control unit plugged in? Fuses 43 & 44 are for the gearshift control unit. The latter will prevent the engine from starting if there are any faults.

RAB

Well, I found 20A fuse under driver's side carpet. Then hydraulic pump started to work and I could turn the engine on. But gearbox seemed like not changing gears. I shut down engine, turned ignition on on gently puled clutch cable, clutch became active and gears were changing :) But when I tried to drive in R, car just shot few meters and engine stop and fuse blow up again. So, I will try to do adaption, hopefully it will work on my case. Thanks RAB for help ;)

Last edited:
The car shot backward and stalled the engine because you have no creep adaptation but that should not blow a fuse.

RAB

You were right, I adjusted the clutch and car could move quite smoothly. So I manage to take my car to service, were they did basic settings. I took my car yesterday. Everything looked good and gear's were changing like symphony :) Today I drove to work and I noticed that hydraulic pump turns on frequently. I did gear test, and manage to do change only 2 gears between hydraulic pump cycle. So I think I have bad pressure accumulator.

Today I tried to see how much hydraulic liquid is in the tank, and noticed, that pump is buzzing all the time, when I changing gears, then starts to pumping as it should be. I dont noticed that before, so is it normal operation of hydraulic pump or maybe its faulty ?

The buzzing sound is likely to be the clutch actuator (this is normal), not the pump.

The pump should stop when the required pressure is reached. To check the oil level, unplug the module electrically, and loosen the accumulator half a turn with a 24mm spanner. Check the level in the reservoir. It should be within the 'window'; a torch will be useful. Top up with VW hydraulic steering fluid. Re-tighten accumulator and replace plug.

You indeed may need a new accumulator - they steadily lose their nitrogen over time.

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just ordered new one and will change it this week. What interesting, that before I changed the clutch, it seemed to do 4 shifts between pump cycles. Could pressure accumulator fail in few weeks? I double checked all pipes and actuator for leaks and didn't find any. Will keep update on service success. Thanks again RAB, for leading me through ;)

That maybe an effect of changing the clutch rather than one of the accumulator. Changing the accumulator may make no difference but you will need a new one eventually!

RAB

Other interesting thing came out:

It looks like my car is loosing gearbox adaptation. When I drove out from service, where they did adaptation, gear where changing smoothly, but day after day it went back as it was before adaptation. I'm thinking maybe they didn't did full basic settings procedure. And maybe this relates to frequent pump cycles. What can cause loose of adaptation?

I'm thinking of buying VAG cable and will try to do adaptation on my own, cus as you showed me, it's possible and not so complicated. But does the cable must be official, or it could be the one bought from ebay?

Thanks

Valdemaras

A cable from ebay may not give full function. The proper cable is expensive but will pay for itself the first time you use it!

I'm not sure what would cause 'loss' of adaptation. I once lost creep adaptation from one of the Lupo's. A simple basic setting fixed it. If I go on a long journey I always take VCDS with me!

RAB

Hello again,

So I changed pressure accumulator, and now I can get 5-6 gears between pump cycles.

So everything looks like OK now. I will buy VAG cable when some spare moneys will be available, and will try to do adaptation again.

So once more, Rab, thanks for all your responses.

Valdemaras

Back