Which gearbox?

Hooley

A2OC Donor
All,

I've got a 2001 TDi with the EWQ gearbox
does it have to be replaced with the same or can i use a later box?

If i did use a later box is there anything else needed to make it work?

Thanks
J

Recently had a few 'moments' getting it in to 5th
I still have the clunckiness going from 2nd to 3rd, but the 5th gear thing in new and worrying....

:(
J

Yikes. My 2nd to 3rd isn't getting any better either.
Maybe you should take it to Stealth and get a box rebuild and add a 6th gear on at the same time? I must admit that if my box gets seriously worse I will probably go that route.

As I've just had a clutch, and Vincent ( :D ) quoted my around £700 to fix
For that price I might cut my losses and sell up (and de-mod and sell my leather interior and other bits)
If I can get another box to fit it would be cheaper.....

J

Last edited:
The EWQ gearbox ran from 09.2000 to 05.2003 and was replaced by the GPK box which ran until the GRJ box was introduced in 11.2003. All are versions of the 02J transmission as used in the A2 75HP TDi and all have the same gear and final drive ratios.

There are many variations of the 02J gearbox used in other VAG models. For example, some Polos use the EXB box which has a taller final drive ratio (reduces engine revs by 7.5% for same road speed) and this could be a useful upgrade - but mounting points etc would need checking to ensure they are compatible with the A2

Cheers Spike

It would be nice if the polo bm box would fit.
Mines strapped to a 1.4tdi so I do wonder at length if it would fit an A2 as its really the same engine just another code.

getting 83 on a run and 56 round town :)

The EWQ gearbox ran from 09.2000 to 05.2003 and was replaced by the GPK box which ran until the GRJ box was introduced in 11.2003. All are versions of the 02J transmission as used in the A2 75HP TDi and all have the same gear and final drive ratios.

There are many variations of the 02J gearbox used in other VAG models. For example, some Polos use the EXB box which has a taller final drive ratio (reduces engine revs by 7.5% for same road speed) and this could be a useful upgrade - but mounting points etc would need checking to ensure they are compatible with the A2

Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike
It's the fitment info I need, how would I get this?

Cheers
J

Last edited:

Spike - I was under the impression that the GRJ gearbox was the TDI90's 'box, meaning the ratios are slightly longer.

Jason - All A2 TDIs use the 02J gearbox. To my knowledge, they'll all mate with the engine, but you need to get one with the correct ratios.

I don't care what the others say about you, I like you

Lol! :p

I'm not too hot on the gearbox differences. I also have the EWQ 'box (the three letters indicate a unique combination of gear ratios and final drive), but why some TDI75s have a different gearbox code, I don't know.

Edit, 7 years later: the gearbox code changed due to the omission of the gearbox speedo drive. Later A2s use the ABS sensors for the speedo.

Tom

Last edited:
Gearbox codes seem to get changed purely as an age related thing at times.
I can't think of a reason why a BM box shouldn't bolt in but don't forget to check the inner cv fittings (though swapping the gearbox drive flanges with yours would solve that).
I don't know what a 75 would be like with a BM box though; the BM uses a vnt turbo to improve driveability at lower revs (like the A2 90) so I'm not sure if it'd end up at spending too much time at unfavourable revs.
N.B. I don't know because I haven't got a tdi and have little experience of driving one :p

Spike - I was under the impression that the GRJ gearbox was the TDI90's 'box, meaning the ratios are slightly longer.

Jason - All A2 TDIs use the 02J gearbox. To my knowledge, they'll all mate with the engine, but you need to get one with the correct ratios.

Hi Tom
I got the info from an ELSA chart but as you thought, the GRJ box is only used on the 90 TDi and has different ratios so this section of the chart is incorrect.
I think the different gearbox codes relate to changes (like synchro updates) to the internals.
In theory, any 02J gearbox should physically fit an A2 but using the TDi engine for comparison, there are subtle differences in the 'add-on' hardware such that a Polo AMF engine is not a straight fit in an A2 which also has an AMF engine.

Cheers Spike

Attachments

• A2gearbox101.jpg
    A2gearbox101.jpg
    829.6 KB · Views: 1,750
Now I have a dilemma.

Ewq box for £150 or EXB box for 270
Both boxes are similar condition and guarantees

Should I go for the Polo box or longer 5th gear mod?

Just found out the EXB box is as follows:
Ratio's are....

1st..........33/10.....3.3000
2nd.........35/18.....1.9444
3rd..........34/26.....1.3077
4th..........34/35.....0.9714
5th..........34/45.....0.7555

Final drive:....60/19.....3.1579

What would this do to the gearing at 70mph? Should it drop it by about 200rpm? Is it just the final drive dropping the gearing by?
J

Last edited:
...the three letters indicate a unique combination of gear ratios and final drive...

I think the different gearbox codes relate to changes (like synchro updates) to the internals.

I think you must be right, Spike. Assumption makes fools of us all.

Jason, compare the figures you've posted above with the figures on this graph for the EWQ 'box... http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11597&d=1361708906
4th and 5th gear are the same, but 1st, 2nd and 3rd are slightly longer for the EXB gearbox. Additionally, the final drive is fractionally longer, too.
I'm not convinced that having longer low gears is what you want...?

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Why, in a heavier car, would there be taller gear ratios?

Just a thought
J

Its likely the Polo of the day had smaller dia wheels so the overall gearing (or revs per mile) would be the same.

Personally I like the idea of the longer low gears as the A2's bottom gear is too low (unless you tow a trailer) so it should make the first 3 gears more useable.

Cheers Spike

I think the 9N BM ran on 165/80/14s, so the overall gearing would have been slightly longer again. The first three gears could have been longer to help with the fuel economy/emissions test, or to suit speed limits better.
I'd be tempted by it with the proviso mentioned before, mind you a remapped non vnt 75 might be perfectly fine anyway.

Back