Single-to double-DIN dash with Mk2 RNS-E conversion

dan_b

A2OC Donor
Dear forum
For the last two days, Hotstuff and I have sweated over a rather large modification to my car. Conversion from a single-DIN to double-DIN dash (note, conversion, not dash-swap), and then installing a Mk2 MY2010 RNS-E.

The good news (and for those who have a short attention span!) is that it's do-able, and it all works. Yes, you can convert a single-DIN to a double-DIN dash, and yes you can install a Mk2 RNS-E with full DIS integration.

In fact, the RNS-E installation was the least complicated part of the job! Having the correct hardware and software versions as per Craigb's recent discovery (ie revision B, HW version 02 and SW version 150) you can code the Mk2 RNS-E to A6 mode and all is well.

However.......

Dash conversion, now that is another matter entirely! Yes, we did it, but having done it I'd be the first to say it's not the preferred route. If you can lay your hands on an existing double-DIN dash and are able to transport it/store it, it's a much easier route to take.

The number of differences in the two dashes between the single- and double-DIN units is ridiculous. Even with the (metal) double-DIN cage to hand, it's hard to see what Audi was thinking when they made so many changes. To remove the single-DIN fixtures essentially requires complete destruction of the entire single-DIN architecture (it's all plastic parts that are heatwelded and bonded into place), significant cutting of the remaining dash internals, and also some not-insignificant filing down of parts of the metal double-DIN cage. Constant problem-solving engineering was required!

Not only that, when you come to then re-install items such as the air vents and the ash-tray, you find that the original screws don't do the job any more because they're screwing into machined metal and not plastic... I'd estimate the conversion process took a good 4 hours of furtling, whittling, hacking, filing, cutting, gluing, swearing and fixing! Simply swapping an entire double-DIN dash would have saved us most of that time... Still, it's done and you can do it if you need to.

Another learning is that the RNS-E quadlock adapter looms you can buy are almost always wired up incorrectly. Mine was. So we had to go through it pin by pin to cross-check.

Single-DIN air-con panel had to be re-shaped, along with the RNS-E unit - but that all went smoothly.

We also installed a FISCON bluetooth module - and this is currently the only part that isn't working. The RNS-E just doesn't see it at the moment, and according to the FISCON instruction manual it says a minimum Software Level of 350 is required. I only have a navi-disc with SW220 so we failed on that part. My next challenge is to discover whether I can upgrade the software to SW350 on a Mk2RNS-E, and how...

Anyway, I want to say a HUGE thanks to Tony (Aka Hotstuff) for his immense expertise and help with this project, and for allowing me to take 2 days off of him that he'll never get back! Also a big thanks to Craigb for providing the information about which version of the Mk2 RNS-E can be coded for A2 use. And thanks to Audi for providing such fun cars that we all enjoy modifying - it's crazy that a MultiMedia Sat-Nav unit made in 2010 can be made to integrate so successfully with a 10+ year old Audi with barely any of the modern-day underlying technology.

1. naked.jpg2. destroyed single din.jpg3. cages.jpg4. dash.jpg5. FISCON.jpg6. sanding the RNS.jpg7. Navi in DIS.jpg8. RNS-E finished.jpg

Did you find a flexi-shaft screwdriver handy?
I found it invaluable when changing my dash

Looks good, just the gearbox to sort out now????

:D

J

Congratulations Dan!!!
You must be chuffed to bits that it has all finally come together (well most of it anyway)

I've be trying to keep up with your conversion posts, as i'm also planing to install a RNS-e at some point in the future.
Some of the bits have already been sourced and i'm planing to get the other parts in the coming months.
The forum has inspired me to dream the RNS-e dream, and your contribution has been invaluable.

All the best

Derek

Thanks, I'm chuffed yes - have wanted a double-DIN for a long time, the Mk2 RNS-E is the icing on the cake!
Also now have a functional glove-box light and my heated seat switches also illuminate correctly too, so all is good in the world!

I know that one's memory does fade with age ... LOL!, BUT, I absolutely didn't need to cut/file that alloy cage at all when fitting it into my single-DIN dash. I confess that I did the conversion with the dash out of the car (not because I wanted too .... I just hadn't fitted my single-DIN dash, yet ).... I honestly didn't find it an immense hassle! You've got the mounting points of the cage to use as a guide, anyway. I would not have been recommending this route if I had found it to be very difficult. A while back, it was said that it was not possible to change the windscreen wash tank to the larger capacity without bumper removal. However, I did find that that was not the case and it was, in fact, a fairly easy operation, with the bumper still in place ....

David

Hi Derek
Do you already have a double-DIN dash or are you looking to source one?
I have a spare Mk1 RNS-E if you need one...
Dan

Congratulations Dan!!!
You must be chuffed to bits that it has all finally come together (well most of it anyway)

I've be trying to keep up with your conversion posts, as i'm also planing to install a RNS-e at some point in the future.
Some of the bits have already been sourced and i'm planing to get the other parts in the coming months.
The forum has inspired me to dream the RNS-e dream, and your contribution has been invaluable.

All the best

Derek

Hi David
The metal cage had to be modified at the bottom where it mates up to the back of the dash in the area where the ash-tray screws in. The lugs on metal cage were just too narrow, and we weren't comfortable with cutting any more plastic material out of the actual dash itself.

You can see that we did all the modification work with the dash out of the car too.

I'm not saying that it was an immense hassle, but what I am definitely saying is that it's not a plug-and-play solution, it required a lot of time-consuming experimentation and a fair degree of being happy to attack one's dash with various cuttings tools - hacksaws, dremels, stanley knives and swearing. As I've said above, it probably added 4 hours to the time it took to do the job, not to mention curing time for the polyurathane glue we used to secure the metal frame back into the plastic dash... - simply swapping an entire existing double-DIN dash would have been much quicker, and more straightforward and I would say is the preferred route for anyone. But if your only option is a dash cage, then we have proved it is possible.

Having done the washer tank swap with the bumper off, I still can't see how you manged to do it with the bumper in situ, but never mind!

I know that one's memory does fade with age ... LOL!, BUT, I absolutely didn't need to cut/file that alloy cage at all when fitting it into my single-DIN dash. I confess that I did the conversion with the dash out of the car (not because I wanted too .... I just hadn't fitted my single-DIN dash, yet ).... I honestly didn't find it an immense hassle! You've got the mounting points of the cage to use as a guide, anyway. I would not have been recommending this route if I had found it to be very difficult. A while back, it was said that it was not possible to change the windscreen wash tank to the larger capacity without bumper removal. However, I did find that that was not the case and it was, in fact, a fairly easy operation, with the bumper still in place ....

David

Hi Dan,

I've got a double din dash bought from one of the site members, and off of Craig's info a few weeks ago I recently picked up a MK2 RNS-E 2010 unit.
Not quite looking for a needle in a haystack but not far off, so took the opportunity when it presented itself.
FYI - Those wanting to install a 2010 RNS-E PU into an A2 in In car entertainment.
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?21841-FYI-Those-wanting-to-install-a-2010-RNS-E-PU-into-an-A2

Looking at a bluetooth unit which I'd like to have soon but my insurance is due in the next month so I may have to put it on hold for a while.
Plus having an FSI with a service due must take priority. Not sure when an install is on the cards, however i'm sure you'll be able to read about here at some point.
I'm a patient type of fellow so it will get done as time and circumstance allow.

Thanks for the offer much appreciated, and congrats once again!!!:)

Derek

Keep us posted with how it goes.

That Fiscon bluetooth module looks pretty small and it's plug 'n' play!! Good stuff.

I've been planning it in my head for a long time, but almost felt like I rushed the purchase of the RNS-E because of Craig's info.
Still at least I'v jumped the first 2 hurdles with quite a few to go:confused:

The Bluetooth module is small enough to fit under the trim in front of the gearstick; very neat!
Have you sourced a Rev B, HW02 SW150 unit too then?

Hi Jason
Managed to survive without a flexi- in the end, but there are some tricky-to-access ones for sure. Stupid design!
Gearbox - well yes it's not going to get any better is it. I think I need to save a few pennies for a few months first though...

Did you find a flexi-shaft screwdriver handy?
I found it invaluable when changing my dash

Looks good, just the gearbox to sort out now????

:D

J

Hi Dan,

Now your photo of the gear trim makes sense! couldn't work out why you would have to take that apart before.

Yes I got one on ebay 8P0 035 193 B and thought that I should pick it up as you never know when another Rev. B will come along.
I basically went off Craig's advise and the info you shared, then I saw one just over a week ago and dived right in.

The info on this site is excellent and really helpful members.

That centre tunnel area also now houses my indicator relay, komfortblinker module and a chunk of the Bluetooth QUADLOCK adapter cables. As a result the indicator relay clicking noise is now rather subdued, but you can't have everything!

One thing that caused a bit of an issue was the sheer extra bulk of the Concert to QUADLOCK adapter loom, combined with the QUADLOCK Bluetooth adapter loom - they're very large and there isn't much space back there, especially with all the other wiring that lurks round there no matter how tidily you try and tie it all up beforehand. I think if you were looking to make life smoother in your install you should consider whether you have the time to do do the wiring without the adapter looms...

A source of great information as usual Dan, and thanks for the heads up!!

Not sure how to tackle the wiring loom issue, however I don't think that I'll be doing the install by myself, although rather practical with a background in electronic servicing my experience does not extend to cars. Don't think I'll be ready for a few months yet but all this talk of RNS-E installs has really got me thinking.

cheers,

Derek

Dan, Dan, the Double Din Man!

Well, your wish came true - you now have a DD and with some impressive kit to boot ;).

After a pretty busy two days I opted for an easier day today - so much so that I went into work on a day off :confused:.

To add to Dan's post, I'll share my experience and observations.
Dan decided to convert from SD to DD format following the successful conversion carried out by David (DJ190) and approached me to do the work for him. I was always confident that the task was do-able but, like Dan, I too was amazed at the differences that Audi have designed into the different dash layouts. To name just two, the cage materials are different - SD=platstic and DD=aluminium and the indicator relay uses a different method of attatchment! The job itself is not complex but a certain amount of "re-engineering" by way of modifying both the central dash section and the frame has to be carried out for a sucessful conversion. I also opted to use a urethane adhesive to provide additional strength to the dash and also to prevent squeaks. I have used this material in the past to atatch sunroof casettes to car turrets. Certainly if this modification to the dash components was not necessary we would have saved much time. All in all however we have achieved an unbelievably strong solution and Dan is very happy with the result.

When the dash is out it is prudent to replace the A/C sensor, and I also replaced Dan's brake light switch

Whilst in the bowels of the dash, Dan asked me to sort some other work. We managed to rewire his heated seat switches so they now illuminate and fixed a broken tab on the glovebox, Dan now has a fully working glove box light!

I did the cutting of the RNS-E unit and shaping of the climate panel last and a great finish has been achieved, very difficult to tell from Audi standard - Dan's interior has now been elevated several notches.

When I did my RNS-E fitting two weeks ago, I elected not to fit the quadlock converter cable and rewired my A2 to eliminate this bulky contraption and seeing how we struggled to get the RNS-E into Dan's dash, I would seriously recommend this step to anyone thinking about this type of upgrade especially if other options such as bluetooth are being added.

Feel free to ask for advice on this mod, who knows, I may even be tempted to do the job again :rolleyes:.

blue skies
Tony

It does sound like you guys had an epic couple of days!!! Congratulations on your patients and perseverance and from the pics great job.
The bit about the Aluminium double din cage I can confirm as I picked one up just over a month ago.

Tony I've got what may sound like a strange question, how did you do away with the quadlock converter?
I'm sure I may have more questions in the future, however the quadlock thing has peaked my interest.

Derek

Last edited:
Well I reset the RNS and all of a sudden I can now pair my phone via Bluetooth. What I can't do yet is access my phonebook or stream audio. ..

When the dash is out it is prudent to replace the A/C sensor, and I also replaced Dan's brake light switch

Whilst in the bowels of the dash, Dan asked me to sort some other work. We managed to rewire his heated seat switches so they now illuminate and fixed a broken tab on the glovebox, Dan now has a fully working glove box light!

My aircon has now stopped doing the annoying "am I hot, am I cold, ooh I can't decide, let's blow hot here for 5 seconds and then blow cold down there for 5 seconds" routine that it had developed a nasty habit of doing. Definitely that A/C temp sensor was to blame.

In the 5 years I've owned the car the glovebox has never illuminated - I never even knew there was a light in there!

The brake light switch had started kicking out RF interference when applying the brakes, so it was clearly on the way out. Stupidly, the manual tells you to rotate it the wrong way when installing it - that caused us some issues!

Back