Crankshaft reluctor ring, anyone ever had a problem? 1.4 Tdi

d4v1d sm4rt

A2OC Donor
Having eliminated all the other causes for non starting ( fuel lines, fuel filter, lack of compression, camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor ) we are left with a P0321 fault code which says the G28 crankshaft sensor is "implausable" and we can only think that means that it is out of sync as the crankshaft reluctor ring has moved or snapped or something. Has anyone ever had a similar issue?

Also when cranking it over the oil pressure warning light comes on so maybe the oil pump has come loose and hit the crankshaft reluctor ring or something?

update

took the sump off and can see what looks like a broken tooth right next to one of the cut outs, ( wondering what caused it? )
have ordered a new reluctor ring ( only £17.09 plus vat )
but in the meantime i will make a new tooth and glue it on just to see if it starts

does anyone know how to fit a new reluctor ring?

presumably gearbox off, flywheel off and then the crank will have to be dropped somehow

thanks for that very helpful, but i dont think its a relay like the second post as I have FOUND THE BROKEN TOOTH in the bottom of the sump.
so now i am working on removing the balancer shaft and oil pump assembly so i can glue the tooth back on with special epoxy.

got some pics of the tooth and it looks like the surface of it has been worn for some reason, i will chack it against the other teeth and get some pics too, maybe a snapped off dip stick became lodged in between the crankshaft sensor and the tooth as this tooth is on the end of one of the two cutouts in the reluctor ring.

Any tips on how to remove and refit the balancer shaft assembly?

IMG_6759.jpg

here is the reluctor ring with the broken tooth
notice the circular wear pattern just in that position
what could have caused that?
the sensor is unmarket so its not that
dont really want to fit a new ring only for the same to happen

Back