Cluster repair companies...

tagscuderia

Hello all,
I'll keep this very simple. My cluster has been diagnosed with an internal fault, local Audi dealer, so I'm looking at companies that repair them. As always, these companies all share their fair share (quite the mouth full) of negative reviews - some of them scathing.
I don't know if any others have had faults with their cluster, doesn't seem to be a common fault, but I was hoping to be pointed in the correct direction regards whom to use or indeed... not use.
Cluster Repairs UK actually have a photo of an A2 cluster with my fault on their site but haven't replied to my email which doesn't fill me with confidence.
Thanks, much appreciated.
Tom.

P.S, to Sarge786 just in case you read this, cheers for your advice and offer of help previously. Have been working away so haven't had a chance to progress with this at all, just opening up to the forum whilst I try and work out what to do - in all likelihood I'll come begging at your door! :eek:

My DIS cluster definitely has the heat-related fading issue on the central LCD screen. I also emailed Cluster Repairs UK a few weeks back and have yet to receive a reply, not the best way to gain new customers!

I have the same problem as well. I was planning to open it up in the hope of finding a few brittle solder joints which I could repair (had a similar issue on a radio display in a Kenwood unit before) or am I wrong in assuming that it's that simple to repair?

I have not yet received a reply from "Cluster repairs UK" and I Emailed them nearly 2 weeks ago! I am told that the Guy I am trying to contact, ("Ethan"), has been away, out of the Country .... In conversation, this person projected huge confidence in being able to repair my cluster ..... almost with some arrogance. However, no joy and I still have a defective cluster! I have not even re-fitted it, yet! I simply would like to know what, exactly, is at fault? That is not too much to ask, is it? I am looking out for another suitable cluster, but that part, 8ZO 920 980J is very elusive! (A reward to any of you Guys who can find one for me!) Look, my confidence in these Firms to repair this type of product has, undestandably, been severley shaken ...

David

"Cluster Repairs UK" are quite put-out that I have "named-dropped" My apologies for that error! Basically, that particular cluster does seem to be irreparable .... I am hoping to get the faulty components identification, though ..... It will probably not help me, though .... Oh well, life goes on, I suppose. I just so hate failing on anything!

David

So are you entirely convinced that your cluster's fault is not the more common heat-related LCD-fading failure?

My cluster displays "FUSE" where the trip recorder is and continually blows fuse 1, can't even seat it properly. Unfortunately this has knocked out the remote central locking and a bunch of other stuff so I definitely need it fixing... glad that I didn't send it off to Cluster Repairs UK (or CRUK as I might start calling them) without posting here!
What did you make of Cartronix David? From your thread they seemed more genuine than CRUK.
Thanks for everyone's input.

Mine has also that "heat related" issue, although it's not that severe (only the very top left corner, and not completely faded).
The rest of the time (I'd say <25°C) , it's OK.
So, no need for now to fix this, but if it even gets worse, I'll look into it.

Any new recommendations on cluster repair companies other than Cartronix, which Steve Birchall seemed quite happy with and is currently top of my list.

My display is fading fast so I need to have it fixed.

Cheers Spike

If it's just the display at fault, would you consider "upgrading" to a colour version? Tom/timmus springs to mind in that instance but I don't know if he's offering that service yet (?).
I didn't use a repair firm in the end, too many negative reviews online.

If it's just the display at fault, would you consider "upgrading" to a colour version? Tom/timmus springs to mind in that instance but I don't know if he's offering that service yet (?).
I didn't use a repair firm in the end, too many negative reviews online.

Agree with that view. Regardless of who does it - if my display was goosed I'd be tempted to go for the upgrade .

Back