Front Passenger Window Won't Open

mlok2000

Hi All,

My passenger side window stopped working this week.

Neither the passenger nor driver's button's will operate it, there is light coming from the button though.

The key fob no longer operates either window either.

Could this be water related? The inside of the passenger door was exposed to some light rain the other day. I also had a fair bit of wet stuff in the boot - I was careful to not have anything over the battery though. Given time, could circuits dry and everything's back to normal - A water damaged digital camera of mine came back to life after 6 months of not working.

I've read this post
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...ric-window-switch&highlight=window+won't+open
I don't have access to a code reader. Is there anything I can do that is easier than Timmus's suggestion of swapping the door control modules?

Thanks,

Chris

Light rain landing on the door card and a bit of humidity aren't likely to be the cause of this.

I've not fully got to the bottom of this yet, but it seems that the door control modules can 'freeze' (of sorts). On numerous occasions, I've managed to 'fix' a seemingly broken electric window by simply disconnecting the door control module, waiting a few minutes, and then reconnecting it again.
Ben, the forum administrator, also found that this worked for him.

Are you familiar with how to remove the door card?

If successful, you'll have to 'teach' the door modules where the limits of the glass' travel is before they can be controlled by the remote fob. Are you familiar with this process?

Cheers,

Tom

Don't know if this helps but I had the exact problem 3 months ago, when the drivers side would open but not the front passenger side. Anyway my battery had gone flat due to the cold weather so had it jump started. Next morning Driving to work thought I'd try the window and to my amazement it bloody worked,could'nt belive it sure did put a smile on my face as was thinking £££ more money to spend,(Jump start must of got it going):confused: Also since then I have disconnected and replaced with a (VARTA BATTERY) as it was due for a replacement being same battery from inception and it's still working fine.:)
So thats my story don't know if helps but thought i'd share. though it could be something else like Tom mentioned.

Regards,

Mohammad

Thanks Guys,

Tom, I wasn't familiar with the removal process but found two useful threads - scary stuff but I got it off.

Disconnecting and waiting wasn't successful for me.

My neighbour is a retired mechanic and had a look with me. He tested the control unit for power and found the light was getting some but the motor wasn't and therefore reckons the motor is faulty. Could this be, it was working flawlessly a day or two before it stopped. Shouldn't be too expensive to pick up a spare motor should it?

I think I read about the teaching in another post - is it where you hold the switch for 5 seconds after it's opened/closed the window?

Mohammad, thanks for the tip, it's worth giving a go.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

The door control module and motor are one complete assembly. If it is this device that's broken, I have a spare that I'm willing to sell.

However, I don't feel your mechanic's diagnosis is particularly thorough. If the motor itself isn't getting power, how can it be diagnosed as faulty? If no voltage appears at the motor's terminals, then it's more likely that the control module itself is broken. It could be a faulty wiring loom, though I suspect it's not as otherwise you'd probably find that you had locking issues, too.

Before parting with your money, I suggest you take the door card off the driver's door and do the swap-the-control-modules trick. If you find the fault moves to the other side, then we can say with some confidence where the problem lies.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for your help, I'll try swapping the units tomorrow.

My neighbour was only giving it a very quick once over before his dinner...

I'll let you know how I get on and whether or not I need to buy your unit.

Thanks,

Chris

Swapped the units and the PS unit doesn't work on the DS, which I'm guessing confirms it's broken.

Tom, could you please PM me with a price?

Many thanks,

Chris

Excellent work, Chris. If the fault moved to the driver's side, then this perfectly isolates the fault. It may be a bit of a faff, but at least you've got a reliable diagnosis.

I'll send you a PM.

Cheers,

Tom

Back