Pepperpots

RNJ

Pardon my ignorance, but English is not my native language. Users of this forum often mention “Audi pepperpots” wheels. Google shows me how “Audi pepperpots” looks like but I am curious about the word itself. What is a pepperpot? Slang?

Please enlighten me :D

Pardon my ignorance, but English is not my native language. Users of this forum often mentions “Audi pepperpots” wheels. Google shows me how “Audi pepperpots” looks like but I am curious about the word itself. What is a pepperpot? Slang?

Please enlighten me :D

It refers to the appearance of the round lid of a pepper condiment shaker - a circle with multiple smaller round holes.

The first time I can recall the phrase being used was to describe the 14" alloy wheels on the Ford 'XR' range when I was a boy.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...Car_Wheels_ET%26hash%3Ditem41713fdc1b;225;300

Youe English is great.

Thanks - the pepper condiment shaker reference makes sense. I was a little confused when googling for pepperpots and getting the below from Wikipedia ;-)

"The term Pepperpots refers to any of the middle-aged, matronly types played by the men of Monty Python. A pepperpot is usually somewhat overweight and wears a rather unflattering ensemble often topped off by a small, old-fashioned hat. She holds a small purse in her gloved hands, and is very often seen out and about, apparently running errands while her husband is at work. She usually speaks in a high voice that sounds very much like that of a man imitating a woman. The Pepperpots are given different names in various sketches: Mrs. Premise, Mrs. Conclusion, Mrs. Nesbitt, Mrs. Smoker, Mrs. Non-Smoker, Mrs. Thing, Mrs. Entity, etc."

Back