Ac compressor dead!

Maso

My AC compressor just stop working within in a second and with no warning, it stop cooling the air inside the car.

So i had a guy to checking it for me and ac-gas is good & there was 12v in connector that connects to the ac compressor so we concluded that the ac compressor is broke since it doesnt wanna start, i assume a new one is in order.

My qeustion now is if more ppl changed this or if they got any other tips for me that could be the issues.
Do you have tips on where to get them at a good bargain new or sexond hand.
The A2 in order is a A2 TDI 90bhp from 2004.

Thanx ahead of time ;)

turn your climate control to LOW, it'll force the AC to turn on. The compressor takes a pulse modulated signal on the connector so I don't think you'll ever read a straight 12V using a multimeter. But in theory, if you can detect voltage change from LOW to HIGH, then the electronics should be working.

Changing the pump is easy, you just need to locate the tensioner pulley and relax the belt.

Here are the faulty codes I got of a friend that works at audi.
It is in swedish but the codes should be international i would believe so hoping someone can help me with tips on what i should do as my next move/step.

The audi mechanic told me to change the ac compressor. But i cant ignore that one faulty code was the sensor that is claimed to behind the dash and what i read out here quickly is that to replace this sensor one need to remove the whole dash to reach it

Now of course i want the Ac compressor to be the villain in this drama/action as that is cheaper faulty than to remove a whole dash as that is a job that involves a much huger jobcost in the end.

Another theory of mine is to replace the part the av control unit sitting in the dash as it is a hardware which also can stop talking to the ac compressor. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369679141.622501.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1369679165.135906.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1369679178.842336.jpg

Could the warning no communication/sporadic communication indicate a faulty earth?
The text of the warning is that of communications failure rather than a specific fault being reported by the unit.
I had a warning on my ignition switch and several warnings on my air conditioning unit like this that all disappeared after I cleaned the earth.
I would suggest it may be a good start to try testing some of the cables with a multimeter.

Does anybody have blueprints of where the earths points are located on the A2 so one can start checking them each off.
Thank you for much for that tip by the way, this is something ill look into first as this is so far the cheapest solution to maybe solve this issue.
Thanks again.

Will of course keep you posted on what the results from the earths check ups.

I'm not really following the fault codes in the screenshots apart form the last one which appears to be ABS related. if you're referring to the temperature sensor that requires full dash removal, that'll be the infamous G263 evaporator outlet temperature sensor. On a left hand drive car, it is possible to access it from under the driver side steering column. It is not possible to access in a RHD car. It does have a pair of wire that runs straight to the back of the climate control unit, your friend at Audi should be able to quickly tell you what pins they are. You can measure the resistance, it is temperature dependant and I'm sure a quick search will return something either I posted in the past or a thread I replied. (I'll see what I can find in the morning)

oh, I also forgot, before you go for G263 replacement or test, you can test if the compressor is fully dead or simply affected by G263 sensor. When G263 is reported faulty, Climatronic works at reduced capacity, you get partial cold air. A dead compressor, you get no cold air. That's easiest to check with a k-probe or thermostat at the vent with CC set to LOW and flipping the ECON button on and off..

oh, I also forgot, before you go for G263 replacement or test, you can test if the compressor is fully dead or simply affected by G263 sensor. When G263 is reported faulty, Climatronic works at reduced capacity, you get partial cold air. A dead compressor, you get no cold air. That's easiest to check with a k-probe or thermostat at the vent with CC set to LOW and flipping the ECON button on and off..

Humps!! This is great, i have already dome ECON test, no difference in the air when switching the button between on & off for ECON. So do I dare to say a new compressor is in line and all should be fine?
Why than 3 so different faulty codes thah were fround? Is it maybe caude one faulty codes triggers other?

I'm not really following the fault codes in the screenshots apart form the last one which appears to be ABS related. if you're referring to the temperature sensor that requires full dash removal, that'll be the infamous G263 evaporator outlet temperature sensor. On a left hand drive car, it is possible to access it from under the driver side steering column. It is not possible to access in a RHD car. It does have a pair of wire that runs straight to the back of the climate control unit, your friend at Audi should be able to quickly tell you what pins they are. You can measure the resistance, it is temperature dependant and I'm sure a quick search will return something either I posted in the past or a thread I replied. (I'll see what I can find in the morning)

You saying faulty code 01271 is ABS related?

Thank you very much for this info, as i dint know the info about the G263 sensor and taking out dash is mostly for RHD A2's. Thank you very much for doing some researching in this AC.

Just found the same thing.

The local garage (not Audi) have said it is the compressor that is faulty. The system gases up OK and there is 12 volts on the pump but the pump doesn't switch in. I have been quoted £600 for a non Audi part and over £800 for the VAG pump. Also just found out the steering angle sensor has failed too so it is beginning to look like the end of my time with this car...

I thought there may be a company about who would be able to overhaul the AC pump but apparently not. Any advice would be most welcome.

I changed my own AC pump, bought a used one on ebay for £26 from about 4 years ago and it is still working fine. It is a very easy change that shouldn't take more than an hour labour (jack car, undo aux belt tensioner, undo hose clamp bolts, undo compressor bolts). Add £60 to vacuum test and recharge the system. The pump is made by Denso, I've seen them around the £200 mark. Audi pump is £400+ and must be exchanging your old one too.

Does anyone have the part number for the Air Conditioning compressor?
Either the VAG part number or the Denso part number would be great. I note on eBay they have plenty of pumps for the A4 but I guess that is a different type from what is fitted to the A2?

Hey thanx a lot for that feedback. I will get one as well one day cause i need to have AC in the A2 otherwise it feels like any other cheap 10year old small car.

Changing the pump might be easy but its finding over £800 that is the difficult bit... :(

if you read my post, I did say there are a/c compressors around the £200 mark. I see no reason not to get the one listed in Catnip64's link, it is a good find. Or just type in A2 compressor in ebay and you'll see many warrantied aftermarket Denso compressors at between £200 - £300.

Alright fellas!
Will give you an update on what has happened since i last started this thread.

Well i went and bought a 2nd hand AC compressor off Ebay.uk for £96 including postage to sweden.
Installed the AC compressor for £70 at my service shop. Got my AC friend to refill the gas for £40.

According to Audi the AC should have a pressurenof 505 where it's possible differ with +-25. I hae 520 of pressure in the AC tube.

After filling it up it started to work immedietly. So the faulty in my car was the AC compressor. Im mighty happy with the small cost it took to get it fixed.

Now my wife & daughter are happy. They rather took the bmw than the AUDI while the AC didnt work. I on the other hand enjoyed using the OSS a lot due to the warm month we had in July here in Sweden.
Will post a pic of my bmw to give a idea of what my wife rather drove during The month of July.

Back