Heavy boot, replace tailgate struts?

tagscuderia

Hello all, my tailgate is getting harder to open requiring you to push it open almost all the way. If I replace the struts, will that cure it or do I need to replace further parts?
I've found 2 new genuine struts for £35, good deal?
Cheers, much appreciated.

I've no idea if thats a good deal but it 'sounds' fair to me if its 2 genuine struts.

The 'heavy boot' issue is not uncommom; ours is starting to go this way and theres a bit of surface corrosion at the ends which offends me ( I'm easily offended by such trivialities on motor cars!!) and will be getting some new ones sometime soon.

The struts are the only parts you need to replace.

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/

No connection other than as a very satisfied customer - IKEA kitchen unit door lifters - lasted 3 years as OE had them re-gassed 5 years ago, still as good as new.

March this year, turned up at their premises - no appt needed - removed the struts - very easy with 2 of you - they re gassed both of them for £17 inc VAT - 10 minute stop & 100% better struts.

GET1962

I changed the struts, when we had same issue - Tailgate had to be manually opened all the way to the up. After changing (which took 1 minute) the struts tailgate opens well. So, I's say go for it :)

And I did not change anything else.

Thanks for your replies, have gone ahead and ordered them. £38.90 once P&P was added, Audi quoted £45.13 but said that they were back ordered so well worth it I think.
@murdo, I'm the same but having bought mine last year, it's taking a while replacing everything to its former glory. Some new struts will be a practical and visual upgrade :D
Thanks again.

Back