AUX IN audi a2 connects2?

chubuking

Basically i have been quite interested in fitting one of these nifty connect2 devices to my 1.4 Tdi audi a2.

However how exactly does all the cable fitting etc work and do i lose the functionality of the cd player (would i have to disconnect the device for the cd player to work again)? I am a bit reluctant to drill any holes as such is there a place where i can weave the aux cable through?

also is it necessary to purchase keys to pop out the radio or is it possible to improvise with something else?
pictures feedback etc would be helpful thanks!

I don't know that devise but most work by cornecting to te cd changer plug in the back.

So you should still beagle to use yor cd payer. I have my unit coming out the cubby hole under te climate control. Or you can have it coming out in the glove box.

Cheers

David

cheers for the comments guys. I may opt for the ipod adapter connects2 model and i have had a look at xcarlink as well but it does seem a little pricey at around £80.

Mine had some kind of iPod - cd changer adapter when I bought it and it was just awful. You just can't navigate an iPod that way IMO

cheers for the comments guys. I may opt for the ipod adapter connects2 model and i have had a look at xcarlink as well but it does seem a little pricey at around £80.

I brought and fitted one of these Connects2 a week ago for £32 as the others were a bit expensive. This connects2 playback sound is as good as a Dension Gateway 100 which I had in my last A2 and stupidly left it in there when I sold it. You do need the removing keys to take the Audi radio out safely. It really isn't worth trying to use a makeshift option and risk damaging the fascia all for the cost of £1.50 or so for these keys. Plenty on eBay.
There are two versions of these Connects2. The more expensive one with the large iPod connector plug will charge the iPod. The cheaper one is just a 3.5mm jack plug version which of course fits a lot of Mp3 players headphone sockets. Depends on what your music player choice is?

I removed my concert radio using the proper keys as suggested and placed the connects2 unit way back into the radio slot after feeding the output iPod lead down/through and out into the cubby hole as David mentions. Had to remove the ashtray to make it easier. I have my iPod sitting there permanently connected. The connections on the back of the Audi radio are very easy and obvious ( I seem to remember that the connectors on this connects2 unit will only fit in the correct way to the radio so you shouldn't be able to make a mistake) but don't forget to connect the spare/loose black wire to earth on the radio! I tried it first before pushing the radio back in ensuring nothing was snagged or caught.

The photo shows my radio display with the iPod playing. Push CD button to change from this Aux position to CD player. You still can use the internal CD player but not an external CD changer.
I set my iPod on shuffle all tracks and skip any I don't want to hear by pressing the normal CD track button or one click on the tuning knob. :D

P1060094.JPG

Last edited:
I brought and fitted one of these Connects2 a week ago for £32 as the others were a bit expensive. This connects2 playback sound is as good as a Dension Gateway 100 which I had in my last A2 and stupidly left it in there when I sold it. You do need the removing keys to take the Audi radio out safely. It really isn't worth trying to use a makeshift option and risk damaging the fascia all for the cost of £1.50 or so for these keys. Plenty on eBay.
There are two versions of these Connects2. The more expensive one with the large iPod connector plug will charge the iPod. The cheaper one is just a 3.5mm jack plug version which of course fits a lot of Mp3 players headphone sockets. Depends on what your music player choice is?

I removed my concert radio using the proper keys as suggested and placed the connects2 unit way back into the radio slot after feeding the output iPod lead down/through and out into the cubby hole as David mentions. Had to remove the ashtray to make it easier. I have my iPod sitting there permanently connected. The connections on the back of the Audi radio are very easy and obvious ( I seem to remember that the connectors on this connects2 unit will only fit in the correct way to the radio so you shouldn't be able to make a mistake) but don't forget to connect the spare/loose black wire to earth on the radio! I tried it first before pushing the radio back in ensuring nothing was snagged or caught.

The photo shows my radio display with the iPod playing. Push CD button to change from this Aux position to CD player. You still can use the internal CD player but not an external CD changer.
I set my iPod on shuffle all tracks and skip any I don't want to hear by pressing the normal CD track button or one click on the tuning knob. :D

View attachment 12482

Cheers Nigel i opted for the system which included the ipod connector. :) thank you for your reply it makes much more sense hopefully it will be a breeze to install!

No problems. You should find it straightforward. Make sure you have all the cables tucked back out the way when you re-insert the Audi radio back in its slot.;)

No problems. You should find it straightforward. Make sure you have all the cables tucked back out the way when you re-insert the Audi radio back in its slot.;)

cheers nigel i just finished fitting the system in and it sounds fantastic with the concert radio! :)

Glad to hear that. I agree it does sound fantastic and so much nicer having plenty of music on tap. :eek:

Sorry to hijack this thread, but would this be suitable to make a better job of integrating a pure highway into the concert II?

So far I'm using the FM transmitter, it's OK, but there is always some background noise.

bba

Hi

I have taken inspiration from this thread and have just fitted a connects2 unit (with bluetooth) to my concert stereo. I have lost the radio display on the top of the DIS system on the dash but this is a very small price to pay for being able to hook up my phone wirelessly.

I have a couple of questions hopefully someone will be able to help me out with
1: There is what appears to be feedback from the front left speakers while the system tries to connect to my iphone - when its not idle and the music is playing the white noise or feedback disappears and the sound is fantastic. I also get feedback type sounds when placing a call through the unit from my phone. Has any one else experienced these symptoms?

2: I ended up just stuffing the bluetooth unit in the dash behind stereo down towards the aircon unit, which isn't ideal as I loose a charging point. I originally wanted to try and fit it into the cubby just above the ashtray but try as I might with the suggestions in this thread the cubby just wouldn't budge. I am not weak and was afraid that the pressure I was putting on it it would break the cubby, it really felt like the cubby was secured by screws or something. I opened the ashtray tried to squeeze my hands into the cubby to put pressure on the "roof" and "floor" of it but it really wasn't shifting, the plastic trim on the front of the cubby came very close to snapping when I really put the pressure on so I was very reluctant to apply much more. Am I missing something, could there be retaining screws somewhere? Its a 2004 car with aircon and a concert II stereo

any advice would be really appreciated

regards
low

I have lost the radio display on the top of the DIS system on the dash...

Hi Low,

Does the stereo still turn on and off with the ignition. Do its buttons still illuminate when you turn the side lights on and off?

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom

As far as I am aware it turns off with ignition if radio is playing, but it stays on after ignition off if it is hooked up to phone via bluetooth. As for buttons being illuminated with lights I think they do but I will have to double check that at my lunch break

regards
Liam

Hi Liam,

The reason I ask is because the data connection that allows the stereo information to be displayed on the DIS screen is the same data connection that controls the head unit on/off with ignition and the button illumination on/off with sidelights. If you're no longer getting information sent to the DIS screen, I'd be worried that other functions will also cease to work.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom

Ok, I just checked and I am wrong on all counts - I am getting old :)
The hissing/feedback is there all the time, the music I was playing previously was drowning it out. Also the illumination and on/off with ignition is gone which makes sense from what you say as I took the top connector off the stereo and used the smaller one that came with the connects2 unit

I'm wondering if I have it wired right, it seemed to only fit one way. There was an extension/adapter with the kit but I don't know if I was to use it, the whole package came with absolutely no instructions which is very frustrating as I am useless with electronics

Just hoping someone on here has fitted a similar unit and can confirm/correct what I have done - that buzzing/feedback noise just cant be right

regards
Low

Last edited:
Hi

I have googled for some installation instruction and will paste the part that seems to deal with my issue. It seems that illumination and ignition on/off are sacrificed as part of this installation - this wasn't mentioned anywhere and there was no reference to installation instructions in what was shipped which is a bit frustrating.

I will try and do this tonight and will post back the results - hopefully it will sort the issue and spare someone grief in the future
connectsInstr.jpg

regards
Low

Hi Low,

I have a Connects2 kit too, hence I understand what you mean by the extension/adapter. Assuming we have a similar kit, connecting the wires are as follows.

Essentially, the connector you have can be split into three parts; blue, green and yellow. Plug your existing wire from the car into this adapter, then plug the smaller connector of the Connects2 unit into the socket at the top of the radio near to the fuse; it's a blue plug if I recall correctly. Then, plug the yellow and green connectors in next to it, in the remaining spaces. They only fit one way, so make sure you look which fits into each space by looking at the pins.

The connector that you have removed is essentially split into thirds, with one third being used for the data communication for your Connects2 device and another third being used for the data communication with the car. The adapter allows you to split the connector into thirds without sacrificing the car data connection.

Regards,

Matt.

Last edited:
Back