New owner tips for body and performance.

Tommyboy

A2OC Donor
A family situation has led to us needing a second car and out of the sea of dodgy looking motors, a 2001 Audi A2 1.4TDI emerged with just 70,000 on the clock and an amazingly clean cream interior.

I am now an A2 owner and am enjoying it, but there are a couple of things that are bugging me right now.

First up is the bodywork. It's a pine green A2, pearlescent paint. And although the previous owners were somewhat caring for this little car, there are a fair few deep scratches and nicks that really make the otherwise perfect paintwork look crappy. Mainly on the tailgate and bumpers.
It seems like they have used a touch up of some sort, but the colour match is poor.

Any advice on repairing chips on a pine green A2? Or even remedying poor previous touch ups?

Secondly, the crunchy gearbox. Could be on it's way out, or perhaps it just needs some oil... Little help please!

Finally, is there anything that I could do to treat the engine that won't have a detrimental effect. I'm talking mods (air filters etc) or additives.
I'm not looking to up its performance as such, but would be happy to give it a 'treat' and if that improves the efficiency or the ride, so be it...

I'm sure you knowledgable A2 lovers will have plenty of suggestions...

... Secondly, the crunchy gearbox. Could be on it's way out, or perhaps it just needs some oil...

The gearbox oil is usually never changed during routine servicing, so after 12 years it is bound to be pretty bad!! It would be a good idea to change it. See if you can get hold of Sarge789 (north-east London I think).

Finally, is there anything that I could do to treat the engine that won't have a detrimental effect. I'm talking mods (air filters etc) or additives.

A new clean OEM air filter will do it good. I personally don't think there is much of an advantage in something like a K&N unless the engine is a fire-breathing monster, since the OEM filter is already overspeced.

I know you're not interested in the performance, but regardless a remap at Stealth Racing (Warwickshire, north of Banbury) is a worthwhile investment, it transforms the engine.

As far as the ride goes, the cheap & effective option is fitting 15" alloys & tyres, the best but expensive option is fitting Koni progressive dampers. The 15s may already be on yours (the SE model has 16s, the sport has 17s, otherwise the 15s are standard).

Thanks for the response. Very useful information indeed...

An oil change for the gearbox looks like the way to go then. It doesn't seem defective, just rough.

I will definitely take a look at the stealth racing remap.

And it is an SE, so I have the nicer looking, but more unforgiving 16s...
Really have to watch for those pot holes! :)

Back