LED Crimping Colour Guide

Morning all, it's been a while. Too long infact.

Righty, here's the dilemma.

Fitted LED's all round. They look fab but as everyone knows the indicators flash to fast and the current alone from the sidelight function fire the rear brakes to fully illuminate.

I know this can be remedied with resistors which I have, and I know they can be simply soldered to the board BUT I don't have a soldering iron and would love to avoid having to use one if possible.

The resistors come with wire crimps, but the one thing I can't seem to find, no matter HOW hard I look is WHAT COLOUR WIRES ARE WHICH ON THE FRONT AND REAR CLUSTERS!?

I've looked everywhere, so can someone PLEASE help!? If Im blind as a bat for missing it please also feel free to slap me on the wrist.

If nobody knows has anyone got a fools proof guide to how to solder? I've seen pictures, but nothing too clear.

Thanks again to the best car community in the world. :D

Soldering is relatively easy with practice, and you can pick up an iron from Maplins or somewhere for around a fiver! Give it a go, at very least you'll have learnt a new skill. Practice soldering some bits of old wire together or something.

I think most here will advise not to bother with anything other than a solder joint really, as dry joints almost always fail (in my experience) so you'll end up having to take the time to repair it later on, and that soon gets tiresome!

Cheers

For anyone new to the process there are some useful soldering tips in this link - http://sabest.org/kitinfo/soldering/soldering.html

Can't remember where I left my car keys but can still recall the 'rules of soldering' given by our metalwork teacher over 50 years ago -

Components must be chemically and mechanically clean (metals should be bright with no contamination from oil, grease, oxidation etc
Same applies to the soldering iron tip. Once clean, 'tin' it with a thin layer of solder
Only solder when the iron is hot
Tin both components to be soldered first, then join them
A good flux helps the solder to flow - often the resin from cored solder is not enough if soldering wires to metal.

May be another 50 years before I need this again

Best of luck Spike

Back