Broken near side headlight.

tagscuderia

Hi, just got back from my A2's 1st M.O.T. & she failed...
Both headlights needed adjusting but the near side is kaput. The bulb assembly points to the floor & the height adjust doesn't work at all. I'll take a look at the cluster later today, is there anything that I can test/look for?
Cheers, much appreciated. Everything crossed hoping that I don't need a new headlight; had planned on finally getting new clocks this month...
Tom.

Could be just the adjustment motor, when I bought my A2 the passenger side head light did not adjust, so I bought a new motor, around £10. When I took the headlight to pieces it turned out to be the side light wire was trapped in the adjuster and it was ok when removed. So I have a spare adjuster motor if you need one.

Cheers Craig, be interesting to see what the issue is, checked all the bulbs before the test but missed the fact that it was pointing at the floor -- lazy test in the garage takes the blame!
Strange that the bulb assembly has fallen beyond default (perhaps not the motor), guess we'll see. I like exploring the inner workings of my A2, I just wish that it was for a mod rather than a fault. Love the thing so hopefully in time.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi the motor assembly actually holds the chrome reflector in place - so it maybe that the motor assembly has got turned and just come loose allowing the innards of the headlamp move about. I had this assembly come loose causing the beam to bounce on the road( more obvious due to HID conversion). Once refitted all ok. Good luck. Mike

Hi Mike, I've got the cluster out & the bulb assembly is all over the show -- one of the nylon screws that adjusts it is rammed in @ a precarious angle! How did you refit yours? I don't want to break anything prising it open, can you remove the front glass or is it sealed?
Did find that the main bulb wasn't seated properly, there's a stone rattling around in there & the rear plastic cover wasn't secured, all the hallmarks of a shoddy bulb replacement. Interestingly, the offside cluster is a new one, manufactured 2011.
Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Back