Underside of front bumper.

Tommyboy

A2OC Donor
So my pine green Audi A2 is in pretty good shape for a 51 plate. The one thing really tainting it is the underside of the front bumper.
It looks like the previous owner caught it a few times (or few hundred) and it's cracked, broken and shredded. Rest of the bumper is okay though.

I'm pretty sure that both parts come as one until and that the underside can't be replaced on its own. So short of trying to find a pine green front bumper that's in good shape (which has turned out to be pretty hard so far) do you guys have another other great ideas?

It sounds like the cracks / scrapes are too severe for plastic welding, filling and spraying of the lower black section of the bumper (it is one piece as you thought) so the only option is to source another bumper and have it sprayed.

Cheers Spike

Exactly like yourself, I too had that part badly cracked! It was so bad, that on a return trip from Holland, it flapped in the wind and we had to return at ~ 55 to 60 mph. I got an MPG of 65! Now, I did a superb job of repairing it, myself! You could do the same! I used strips of thin alloy sheet to bridge the cracks These strips are not seen because they are positioned on the inside. I used rivets to hold everything in place. I used extra locating screws where that section mated with the undertray. Then to finish, I coated everything in tough, bitumen-based underbody sealant. The whole lot is rock-solid and is smoother that the original! It was not a massive job! I am a highly practical person, but you too should be able to do this! The thing is, you can do this work "in-situ" and you don't have to remove anything! It looks tidy with the underseal and scratches are covered. You'll save a few Bob, too!

David

But David yours is covered by the body kit ? I'm not sure how professional an undersea led lower bumper would look to be honest. But yes you could plastic weld it and have it painted matte black. But if the damage is affecting its integrity with the under tray I would look at getting a second hand good one and painting or holding out for a pine green one --- love that colour. Cheers mike

Oh, I see what you mean! But I'm proud of my "bodged" repair .... the alloy repair/bridging plates are completely hidden .... joins are tight with very little of a gap between .... underseal further hides everything .... obviously there are a few pop-rivet heads, but they are flush and hardly seen. I think that it would stand up to inspection, even if the "Votex" kit was not there? Even if a full front section was purchased, there is still the hassle of removal of the cracked part and fitting of the new unit ....

David

Back