don't bother with the dipstick...

So are you saying that with a suitable gauge, it is going to be possible to continuously monitor your oil level? (and temperature?) I have looked at that link to the German A2OC Forum, and, as you say, "it is hard to read"! LOL! Where are measuring blocks 004 and 050? Have you/are you going this route? I wonder why our own club have not previously been aware of this? The German A2OC article starts from 2009!

David

Yes, but I find that LCD clock useful .... also, I see that they can supply an oil -pressure display, but not oil-level, as seems to be indicated on the German A2OC site ....

David

the answer to the initial question is vag-com. These are measuring blocks in the standard software. This is not a seperate product, but a function of the existing software.

If you go into the HVAC system and enter block 001, you'll run a reset on the flaps. This is a similar thing, but running measurements on the level of oil.

- Bret

apparently the level changes in real-time, too, with the sensor being on the left side in a diesel. I'm just interested to find a way around the stupid dipstick.

- Bret

that's the bit that depends on your engine and there weren't any clear statements. The lower limit should be visible, as should teh present level. Present appears to be correct with around 50mm for AUA and BBY engines. Diesel seems to be higher, around 70mm.

- Bret

the answer to the initial question is vag-com. These are measuring blocks in the standard software. This is not a seperate product, but a function of the existing software.

If you go into the HVAC system and enter block 001, you'll run a reset on the flaps. This is a similar thing, but running measurements on the level of oil.

- Bret

I am still prevaricating (Wow!, that's some word! LOL!) about buying that VAG-COM lead and software! It's 257 notes ( can't see the correct symbol on this old keyboard!) It looks like it would be very useful? What do you think, Bret? Do you have to be pretty clever, too? I could end-up with a display of oil-level and oil temperature .... is that right?

David

Last edited:
The dip stick is certainly a bit hit and miss. I will try the VCDS measurement later to see what it shows.
Certainly makes life a little easier (once we figure out what the readings should be....)

John

you can read the level with freeware and a simple USB / OBD cable. I use an ancient copy of Vag-Com and a cable which cost €20. Serial port is on my ancient D600, so that gets used, too.. need to move it to the (windows) T60.

- Bret

I can theoretically programme my ScangaugeII to show this on the screen as I drive (via an 'x-gauge'). Never played around with the x-gauge functionality before so I am not sure how much effort it is.

I am still prevaricating (Wow!, that's some word! LOL!) about buying that VAG-COM lead and software! It's 257 notes ( can't see the correct symbol on this old keyboard!) It looks like it would be very useful? What do you think, Bret? Do you have to be pretty clever, too? I could end-up with a display of oil-level and oil temperature .... is that right?

David,

I thought you had already purchased VCDS, just after you had your dash removed to replace the G263 sensor!

Obviously not....

You missed an opportunity to see it working at AITP, as I used it to scan a couple of cars.

Considering the work you do on your car, and how you enjoy "playing", I'm very surprised you've not invested.

Are you coming to ADI (Castle Combe, near Swindon) in October? - If you are, I'll have it with me and you can have a play.

Cheers

Jeff

I suppose that I should "bite the bullet", then .... I have seen this working at "Stealth" It looked impressive! I am told that if you obtain the SCC, you can even code your car if you change the instrument cluster? Must be loads of other uses, too? At the AITP, time just flew past! So interesting! I'm not sure about Castle Combe, yet ... I would really like to meet "Danb", though"

David

HTML:
I suppose that I should "bite the bullet", then .... I have seen this working at "Stealth" It looked impressive! I am told that if you obtain the SCC, you can even code your car if you change the instrument cluster? Must be loads of other uses, too? At the AITP, time just flew past! So interesting! I'm not sure about Castle Combe, yet ... I would really like to meet "Danb", though"

David

Buy it!
Alas it may be difficult for me to make the show. Arm still in a cast for another month yet so not sure how strong my arm will be by then and no chance of being driven there for the day I expect! One day though!

Last edited:
Here's a thought, people looking for a double DIN navigation could use an Android version like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-H...S_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP&hash=item41764948cd

If it will link in over Bluetooth to an ODB Bluetooth interface you could display all the gauges directly onto the nav screen

Please tell me? Why oh why, in this day-and-age, do units like this only have FM radio, and not DAB? And Analogue TV? If this unit had DAB, I'd be sorely tempted! I like to be "up-to-date", and that is something that is missing with my RNS-E set-up. I gather that I need a MFSW, and they are rare in "twist" .... I would love to be able to see "craigyb's" expertise in action, again, though! Oh, excuse my ignorance (again! LOL!), but what is the significance of the blue-tooth connectivity? Is it for the benefit of those with an I-phone and who have mobile internet connectivity? ( I don't)

David

Last edited:
Back